Short Essay Questions Key
1. What do most people think of Mary when they first meet her at the beginning of the book?
Mary Lennox is thought to be the most disagreeable child ever seen, pitifully thin with waxy-looking skin, limp hair and a miserable disposition.
2. Why does Mary rarely see her parents while living in India?
Mary rarely see her parents because her mother put her into the care of an Ayah, an Indian nursemaid, just after she was born. Ayah was responsible for Mary's daily care and needs.
3. What does Mary do when she plays outside in India?
Mary likes to pretend she is gardening while she is in India.
4. What does Mary think about her mother at the beginning of the book?
Mary thinks her mother is beautiful and always wears lovely clothes.
5. What nickname is Mary given when she temporarily lives with a clergyman in England?
The children of the Reverend nickname Mary "Mistress Mary Quite Contrary" because she is so disagreeable.
This section contains 1,935 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)