Chapter 1, "There's No One Left"
• Mary Lennox is thought to be the most disagreeable child ever seen, pitifully thin with waxy-looking skin, limp hair and a miserable disposition. Her family is from England, living now in India.
• Mary's mother puts her into the care of an Ayah, an Indian nursemaid, just after she is born, and rarely sees her.
• One morning when Mary is about nine years old, she awakens to a day that feels wrong and later learns that her Ayah has died of Cholera.
• By the next day, three more servants are dead and others have fled in terror. The household is in a panic.
• Mary hides in the nursery. She is found by some men who come to search the house. Mary learns that her parents have died.
Chapter 2, "Mistress Mary Quite Contrary"
• Mary is taken first to the home of an English...
This section contains 3,941 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)