|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Red Committee member Ossipon expresses what opinion regarding the state of social ills?
2. Which nation is Mr. Vladimir an agent for?
3. Who did Heat personally assure the month prior to the Greenwich Park explosion that no terrorist acts would occur anytime soon because Heat is watching every known terrorist?
4. Subsequent to his initial encounter, how long ago did Heat first approach Mr. Verloc and offer protection of his business packages from discovery if he would provide Heat information?
5. How does Mr. Verloc feel about the opinions expressed by his friends during their Red Committee meeting at his home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Provide a description of where Ossipon runs into the professor in Chapter 4.
2. Toward the end of Chapter 5, Chief Inspector Heat mentions Michaelis's name, which arouses the interest of the assistant commissioner. What reason revealed in Chapter 6 causes him to become concerned?
3. What is Mr. Vladimir's response when Mr. Verloc tells him that what he seeks will cost money?
4. How is Mr. Verloc described at the start of Chapter 2?
5. How is the individual whom the professor encounters in the alley at the beginning of Chapter 5 described?
6. Why did Michaelis subsequently receive compassion?
7. As described at the conclusion of Chapter 5, what habit does the Assistant Commissioner have that comforts him the most?
8. What considerations is Ossipon reflecting upon regarding his next decision at the conclusion of Chapter 4?
9. Where has Mrs. Verloc's sibling been during the Red Committee's meeting and what has the reaction been?
10. Describe what act done by Chief Inspector Heat is detailed and defined as not particularly wise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some of the characters in Conrad's novel are not whom they initially seem to be. Some are harder than they might have at first appeared, others not quite as cold or callous. Take four characters and examine how they are different by the end of the tale than at first encountered. Describe the individual's outlook and view of the world and what motivates them to change.
Essay Topic 2
The professor is never identified beyond his nickname, however, his character is a significant one in the story. Examine his encounter initially with Ossipon in Chapter 4 and once again in Chapter 13. Examine the professor's personality before and subsequent to the bomb explosion, and compare it to Ossipon's before and subsequent to the death of Winnie.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 2, the reader discovers Mr. Verloc is a secret agent and later discovers he has been an informant. Examine in detail this and other instances of how Conrad approaches the theme of loyalty.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)