|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Having returned to her residence with Ossipon on the evening she murdered Mr. Verloc, where does Winnie see that the light remains on?
(a) In the shop.
(b) In the parlor.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) In her bedroom.
2. What does Winnie explain to Stevie about the purpose of the police when he states they should do something for the poor?
(a) They aid people not merely because they are poor, but to keep everyone safe.
(b) They aid people not merely because they are poor, but to ensure the rich do not steal from them.
(c) They aid people not merely because they are poor, but to ensure they do not steal things from rich people.
(d) The poor do not pay their taxes, so the police do not help them.
3. What is Winnie concerned about while Mr. Verloc is on his trip in Chapter 9?
(a) Stevie's depression due to his encounter with the cab driver.
(b) Stevie's depression due to the police not providing for the poor.
(c) Stevie's depression due to Mr. Verloc's return.
(d) Stevie's depression due to his mother suddenly leaving.
4. How long before the bombing does Winnie's mother move from the Verloc residence into the charity home?
(a) Several months.
(b) Approximately a year.
(c) A couple of days.
(d) A few weeks.
5. After assuring Winnie that things will turn out all right in their escape, what does Ossipon do?
(a) He jumps, taking all of Mr. Verloc's money along with him and leaving Winnie behind.
(b) He jumps, but takes only a relatively small amount of money along with him.
(c) He jumps, fearing being caught aiding Winnie, and leaves the money with her.
(d) As Winnie is exhausted, he allows her to fall asleep while he watches over her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie think about Mr. Verloc and Stevie when she last saw them together?
2. Regarding Stevie wandering away, what does Mrs. Verloc assure her husband?
3. Once having interviewed Mr. Verloc, what is it that the assistant commissioner quickly stresses to the secretary of state that he learned during his investigation regarding the Greenwich Park bombing?
4. What is Stevie's reaction when he later talks to the cab driver and learns of his plight in caring for four children and wife while having to do cab work at night?
5. On the evening of Stevie's death after Winnie has gone upstairs, what happens when Mr. Verloc enters his parlor and finds the meal his wife prepared earlier laid out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action does Mr. Verloc take when Mrs. Verloc goes upstairs following her confrontation with him in the kitchen after she learned of Stevie's death?
2. Identify the individual the assistant commissioner is speaking with at the close of Chapter 10 and what says that might be a quote from his own subordinate.
3. When Ossipon jumps from the moving train and abandons Mrs. Verloc with no funds, what does he tell the railway workers who gather around him?
4. What does Mrs. Verloc's sibling do when a cab driver whips his horse on the ride over to the charity home? Why does her sibling reaction in this way?
5. What three things surprise Mr. Verloc upon his return from his ten days away?
6. What does the assistant commissioner do upon completion of his meeting with Sir Ethelred, and what does he encounter?
7. Describe what is compared to the sound of an insane clock at the conclusion of Chapter 11?
8. What are two objections Mrs. Verloc has toward Mrs. Neale?
9. What is Mr. Verloc's disposition at the beginning of Chapter 9?
10. How does Chapter 8 conclude with regard to Mrs. Neale?
This section contains 1,581 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)