|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Assistant Commissioner go after leaving his office early in the evening of the Greenwich Park blast?
(a) Before he confers with the secretary of state, he takes a tram to Greenwich Park to observe the bomb scene prior to sunset.
(b) Before he confers with the secretary of state, he grabs a quick bite to eat at a restaurant near the police station.
(c) Before he confers with the secretary of state, he goes to the coroner's office to confer regarding the bombing victim.
(d) He walks directly to the secretary of state's private rooms to brief him on the explosion earlier that day.
2. What is Winnie concerned about while Mr. Verloc is on his trip in Chapter 9?
(a) Stevie's depression due to his encounter with the cab driver.
(b) Stevie's depression due to the police not providing for the poor.
(c) Stevie's depression due to his mother suddenly leaving.
(d) Stevie's depression due to Mr. Verloc's return.
3. How did Mrs. Verloc's mother convince officials to allow her a place in a charity home when she had family to take care of her?
(a) She cried each time she was pushed for answers and charmed her way with the officials.
(b) She had her simple-minded son along when she was interviewed to stress her family's plight.
(c) She agreed to work in the kitchen or help with other disabled residents if she were allowed in.
(d) She flirted with the main official who interviewed her and he was attracted to her.
4. In Chapter 10, what is the initial destination the Assistant Commissioner goes to for the second time that evening?
(a) He goes first to the secretary of state to report his progress in the investigation.
(b) He goes first to the Italian restaurant for dessert and a glass of vermouth as a reward to himself in the case.
(c) He first searches out Mr. Vladimir promptly for the second time that evening now that he can establish his days as an anarchist are over.
(d) He goes first to his office to type his official report so Heat will be outshone when he arrives for work in the morning.
5. What is Winnie's response to Mr. Verloc immediately after Heat leaves their home?
(a) She listens, but nothing is registering as she is simultaneously thinking about the times she spent with Stevie and her mother.
(b) She refuses to listen, only thinking about her brother and and mother, and the sacrifices she has made for them.
(c) She listens, also thinking about Stevie and the sacrifices she has made for her brother.
(d) She only barely listens, thinking more about Stevie and her mother, and sacrifices she has made for them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long before the bombing does Winnie's mother move from the Verloc residence into the charity home?
2. When Ossipon encounters Winnie in the street not far from her shop on the evening of Mr. Verloc's death, he subsequently accompanies her to the Verloc parlor and he believes what?
3. How does Mrs. Verloc feel about her mother's decision to move out?
4. In addition to being aware that Winnie's mother left, what else is Mr. Verloc's reaction to the domestic troubles in his home?
5. When Mrs. Verloc looked back into the parlor where Mr. Verloc was dead, how did he appear to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the assistant commissioner's primary goal in briefing Sir Ethelred?
2. Identify the individual the assistant commissioner is speaking with at the close of Chapter 10 and what says that might be a quote from his own subordinate.
3. What does Mr. Verloc attempt to stress to his wife regarding the death of her sibling?
4. When Ossipon jumps from the moving train and abandons Mrs. Verloc with no funds, what does he tell the railway workers who gather around him?
5. Who does the assistant commissioner go to see at the start of Chapter 7? What figure of speech is used to compare these two figures? And what does the person the assistant commission visits express as his initial concern?
6. What does the assistant commissioner do after completing his visit with the secretary of state?
7. Describe what is compared to the sound of an insane clock at the conclusion of Chapter 11?
8. What exchange takes place between Mr. and Mrs. Verloc on the afternoon he returns from his out-of-country trip, when he announces he is interested in taking a walk?
9. What three things surprise Mr. Verloc upon his return from his ten days away?
10. What action does Mr. Verloc take when Mrs. Verloc goes upstairs following her confrontation with him in the kitchen after she learned of Stevie's death?
This section contains 1,501 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)