|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to being aware that Winnie's mother left, what else is Mr. Verloc's reaction to the domestic troubles in his home?
(a) He is mainly oblivious.
(b) He approaches Winnie in an attempt to resolve them.
(c) While concerned, he is trusting Winnie will resolve them.
(d) He tells Winnie to hire a neighbor to clean and he will help too.
2. How does the assistant commissioner feel in regard to his conversation with Mr. Verloc on the evening of the Greenwich Park explosion?
(a) He has only partial confidence in Mr. Verloc's honesty.
(b) He is not at all satisfied.
(c) He is not absolutely confident.
(d) He is quite satisfied.
3. Following a verbal confrontation between Winnie and Mr. Verloc on the evening she learns of Stevie's death, what does her Mr. Verloc presume?
(a) She needs to make herself ready so they may depart at a moment's notice.
(b) He is convinced he will be going to court soon, and Winnie will need to operate the shop.
(c) He will be arrested soon if they do not sell the shop quickly and leave the country.
(d) He is convinced he will be going to prison soon, and Winnie will need to operate the shop.
4. Who does the assistant commissioner find outside the Verloc pornography shop on the evening of the Greenwich Park bombing?
(a) A police officer walking past on his beat.
(b) Bright streetlamps offering little place to hide.
(c) An individual closing the shop up.
(d) A stocky, middle-aged male just leaving
5. In chapter 7, what does the assistant commissioner ensure when he returns to his office following his evening meeting with the secretary of state?
(a) That Heat has already departed for his home.
(b) That an investigator is assigned to follow Heat.
(c) That surveillance is placed on the Verloc shop.
(d) That no one can observe the assistant commissioner executing his plan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Winnie's response to Mr. Verloc immediately after Heat leaves their home?
2. Once the Assistant Commissioner arrives at the reported center of the empire, there are several constables who do what upon seeing him departing the vehicle?
3. When it becomes apparent during their confrontation that Winnie wants to leave him, what does Mr. Verloc say to get a response from her?
4. How long before the bombing does Winnie's mother move from the Verloc residence into the charity home?
5. After assuring Winnie that things will turn out all right in their escape, what does Ossipon do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exchange takes place between Mr. and Mrs. Verloc on the afternoon he returns from his out-of-country trip, when he announces he is interested in taking a walk?
2. What is the assistant commissioner's primary goal in briefing Sir Ethelred?
3. Where does the assistant commissioner go for his evening meal and what catches his attention?
4. Describe what is compared to the sound of an insane clock at the conclusion of Chapter 11?
5. What does the assistant commissioner do after completing his visit with the secretary of state?
6. What is described as being what Mrs. Verloc fears most in the beginning of Chapter 12?
7. What action does Mr. Verloc take when Mrs. Verloc goes upstairs following her confrontation with him in the kitchen after she learned of Stevie's death?
8. What does the assistant commissioner do upon completion of his meeting with Sir Ethelred, and what does he encounter?
9. What three things surprise Mr. Verloc upon his return from his ten days away?
10. When Ossipon jumps from the moving train and abandons Mrs. Verloc with no funds, what does he tell the railway workers who gather around him?
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)