|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Meredith that her grandfather is alive?
2. How do Ethan and Lucy escape their room?
3. When Cissy is sneaking away to meet Gray Wolf, who does she tell her husband she is seeing?
4. What do the initials mean that Lia carved? RW?
5. How many cases of sterilizations were reported in Vermont in 1951?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ethan explain to Lucy about ghosts?
2. What is the significance of Spencer locking Cissy in her room? What does that mean?
3. What is significance of Canadian toddler who fell asleep in snow?
4. Why does Eli want to hire Ross?
5. How does Eli discover how Cissy died?
6. When Cissy tries to tell her husband who her father is, what does Spencer do?
7. What does the baby poop prove?
8. What is Spencer's story about the night of Cissy's death?
9. Why does Ruby throw the card game with Ross?
10. What does Ethan tell Lucy about their conditions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of suicide runs through the novel. Why, according to Ross, is suicide NOT an escape? What was he trying to do when he tried to kill himself?
Essay Topic 2
What is significance of burial ceremony for Cissy and baby? Why is it important to Az? Why is it important to Eli?
Essay Topic 3
What are the descriptions from Spencer's lecture about African Americans? What does he say about the Missing Link? How were you surprised by the information in his lectures? Do you think these were real thoughts and ideas? What would this be thought of as today?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)