|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Eli runs from the haunted house, what happens behind him?
2. Why did Spencer Pike decide to stop heralding the pedigree charts as the main thrust of the Vermont eugenics movement?
3. What is the defining characteristic of Lottie, the town clerk?
4. Who does Meredith take Lucy to when Lucy is seeing visions at night?
5. What is the Klifa Club known for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to Spencer's lectures, does he believe about African Americans?
2. Why does Meredith believe that Lucy is psychotic?
3. What are Ross's thoughts of suicide?
4. Why does Spencer tell Cissy he fired Gray Wolf?
5. On Meredith's awful blind date, how does she finally get rid of the guy?
6. What job does Ross have with the Warburtons and what are the Warburtons looking for when they do an investigation?
7. What evidence was found at the murder scene of Cissy?
8. What 4 conditions does Ross set with Rod to investigate the Pike property?
9. What happened to Eli's wife?
10. What is the first time that rose petals are introduced in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is trial evidence added to the story? Do you like the way the author connected the evidence and facts with the information gathered by the ghost hunter?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Perkins was a real person who started the Eugenics Survey of Vermont, but Harry Beaumont and Spencer Pike are fictional. How does this affect the story for you to know that this really happened and that there were real people who did this kind of work?
Essay Topic 3
How is the mystery finally solved? Would the ghost returning to tell the story have been enough? Why?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)