|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kitty think is wrong with Allison?
2. What does Will say when Jack suggests that he take up railroading?
3. What does Allison say she would do for work when Will asks her?
4. What does Will decide makes men like wars?
5. Which of the following is NOT the name of one of the rock formations inside Lost Cove Cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first thing Kitty says after Will recognizes her when she wakes him up in his car in the parking lot?
2. How does Allison feel about doing the errands that Will asks her to do?
3. What psychological breakthrough does Will make as he sits in his car thinking?
4. What does Will dream that the country club becomes in the future while he is sleeping in his car?
5. What plan do Allison and Will make for their futures?
6. What news does Kitty tell Will about her family when they talk in the parking lot of the country club?
7. What happens in the secret room that Jack Curl shows Will at the convalescent home?
8. What happens to Will's guns at the end of the novel?
9. After Will falls into the greenhouse, what is it that makes Allison think she knows who he is before she sees his face?
10. When Will sees himself in the mirror of his Mercedes after leaving the greenhouse, what does he think he looks like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Allison has lost her memory because of the treatments she received at the mental institution and Will has repressed some troubling memories from his childhood that keep returning to him when he has his spells. Write an essay discussing the theme of memory from the novel, comparing and contrasting how different characters' memories shape the plot and affect how we as a reader react to those characters.
Essay Topic 2
Like many novels set in small Southern towns, in The Second Coming the characters are constantly concerned about how others perceive them. Choose three characters from the novel and write an essay about how each deals with the issue of how others perceive them.
Essay Topic 3
Will and Allison are both attuned to nature, noticing clouds, grass, trees, birds, ants, and so on, throughout the course of the novel. Discuss Walker Percy's use of nature in the novel and how the appreciation of nature contributes to Will and Allison's characters.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)