|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Allison pick the hairstyle she wants?
2. What kind of car does Will Barrett drive?
3. What picture is on the stained glass window?
4. What does the man washing the Ford Galaxy at the auto shop tell Allison that Mr. Barrett is going to do for him?
5. How does Allison travel to Linwood, NC?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happy discovery does Allison make when she gets the stove out of the cellar?
2. What is the self-discovery that Allison makes before she goes to Linwood?
3. What is important about the hunting trip with his father that Will remembers during his golf game?
4. What is it that Will Barrett realizes when he falls down during the golf game at the opening of the novel?
5. What does the story about the man who survives the plane crash mean to Allison?
6. How do Allison and Will meet the first time?
7. Why does Allison refuse Will's help in moving the stove?
8. How does Allison get the large iron cook stove into the greenhouse?
9. Why does Allison buy herself new clothes when she gets to Linwood?
10. How does Allison get all of the things she purchases in town back to the greenhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Walker Percy revisits several themes or motifs throughout the novel including: memory, mental illness, self-discovery, independence, religion, nature, and love. Can you think of other themes or motifs from the novel? Write an essay discussing the most important theme or motif from the novel; that is, the one you think the author discusses the most or seems to feature as being the most important. Provide examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Allison's stove is a powerful symbol in the novel. Discuss the significance of the stove as a symbol, providing examples from the text to support your thesis. What does the stove signify? Why do you think the author chose this object to associate with Allison? Does the meaning change over time?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing what Will is searching for in the novel The Second Coming. Use examples from the text to support your thesis. Is he searching for God, for love, for meaning, for a purpose, or something else entirely?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)