|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Will tell Allison that she needs to know?
2. Where did Will's father get the Luger from?
3. Where does Will get hit by the bullet in the garage?
4. What project is Jack asking Will to donate money towards?
5. What happens to Will's father on the hunting trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Will unhappy about during the game of golf with Ed Cupp, Bernie Peabody, Lewis Peckham, and Jimmy Rogers?
2. How does Allison get all of the things she purchases in town back to the greenhouse?
3. Why does Allison buy herself new clothes when she gets to Linwood?
4. When Allison's parents have a conference alone with Dr. Duk, what does she find out that instigates her escape?
5. How do Allison and Will meet the first time?
6. When does Will realize who Allison is?
7. What is the self-discovery that Allison makes before she goes to Linwood?
8. Why does Will obsess over how many shots his father fired on the hunting trip they took together?
9. How does Allison find out where her aunt's estate is?
10. Why is Allison hesitant to take the gift Will brings her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Will often refers to the exodus of the Jews from North Carolina as a sign. How does Walker Percy use this motif in the novel? What does Will's fixation with the Jews signify in his personal life? What does it come to mean to the reader? Write an essay in which you discuss the motif and the ways in which the author uses the motif to develop Will's character.
Essay Topic 2
Two of the main characters, Will and Allison, are both diagnosed with a form of mental illness in the novel. Discuss the theme of mental illness and how Walker Percy treats these two "mentally ill" characters versus the "mentally healthy" characters. What do you think this difference indicates about the author's position on the treatment of mentally ill patients? Use examples from the text and compare and contrast the treatment of Will and Allison with two other "mentally healthy" characters.
Essay Topic 3
Allison has been trained her whole life to be a singer and a musician, but she finds herself unable to perform in public. She realizes that she is really good at manual labor. Write an essay discussing how Allison's character develops throughout the book, using her abilities and disabilities as a way to talk about her development. Use examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)