|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Allison travel to Linwood, NC?
2. Who is it that Will Barrett thinks about when he collapses on the green during the first golf game?
3. What does Will attribute Allison's strange behavior to when he first meets her?
4. How much is Will's Mercedes worth?
5. Who does Will liken Bertie to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that Will Barrett realizes when he falls down during the golf game at the opening of the novel?
2. What does Will hope to prove with his experiment?
3. What is the self-discovery that Allison makes before she goes to Linwood?
4. Why does Will obsess over how many shots his father fired on the hunting trip they took together?
5. What happens when Will enters the greenhouse on his second visit?
6. How do Allison and Will meet the first time?
7. What does Allison talk to the man in the garage of Washau Motors about?
8. When does Will realize who Allison is?
9. What happy discovery does Allison make when she gets the stove out of the cellar?
10. How does Allison find out where her aunt's estate is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of Walker Percy's main themes in the novel The Second Coming is identity. Discuss how the characters in the novel deal with their identities, using at least two characters to compare and contrast. Provide specific examples from the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Will goes into the cave in search of an answer from God regarding his existence. Do you think he gets an answer? Why or why not? Use passages from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Several times in the novel other characters, even his own daughter, suggest that Will married Marion for her money, but through Will's internal dialogue he seems to state otherwise. What is your opinion? Do you think Will is telling the truth or is he just trying to cover his actions with good intentions? Write an essay arguing whether you think Will married for love or for money, using examples from the text to support your point.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)