|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Will Barrett see as a sign that the end of the world might be near at hand?
(a) A bird flying past.
(b) The red leaves on the trees.
(c) The Jews leaving North Carolina.
(d) A cloud.
2. When Will is playing a round of golf with Ed Cupp, Jimmy Rogers, Lewis Peckham, and Bertie Peabody, why does he quit?
(a) Because he hates playing with four rather than three other players.
(b) Because the weather looks bad.
(c) Because he keeps slicing out of bounds.
(d) Because he isn't feeling well.
3. How did Ewell McBee know Will's father?
(a) He worked for his firm.
(b) He was his gardener.
(c) He used to caddy for him.
(d) He was his driver.
4. What phrase does Allison hear at the auto shop that she finds odd?
(a) "You better believe it."
(c) "Have a nice day."
(d) "Yes ma'am."
5. What is Ed Cupp's relationship to Will Barrett?
(a) Ed Cupp is Will's daughter's fiancé.
(b) Ed Cupp is Will's brother-in-law.
(c) Ed Cupp is an old friend.
(d) Ed Cupp is Will's daughter's father-in-law.
6. What does Allison show Will on his second visit?
(a) The furniture she found in the cellar.
(b) The stove she found in the cellar.
(c) The plants she is growing in the greenhouse.
(d) Old bottles.
7. What is Allison looking at in the beginning of Chapter 2 that resembles a head?
(a) A cloud.
(b) A leaf.
(c) A tree.
(d) A mountain.
8. What word does Will tell Allison that she needs to know?
(b) Thank you.
9. Where does Allison get the cash that she is using for supplies?
(a) She snuck it into the institution in her shoes.
(b) She took it from her father's wallet when he was visiting.
(c) She stole it from other inmates of the institution.
(d) She withdrew it from her bank account when she got to Linwood.
10. Who does Will liken Bertie to?
(a) Donald Duck.
(b) Jack Nicklaus.
(c) Mr. Magoo.
(d) Jimmy Stewart.
11. What does Allison compare the great iron stove to?
(a) A castle.
(b) A big oak tree.
(c) A dinosaur.
(d) A Mercedes.
12. Where does Will get hit by the bullet in the garage?
(a) He is shot in the head.
(b) It grazes his calf.
(c) He is hit in the stomach.
(d) He is hit in the shoulder.
13. When Allison remembers her last visit with Dr. Duk, what does he tell her he wants to do?
(a) Help her deal with her parents.
(b) Transition her out of the institution.
(c) Give her a "refresher course" of ECT.
(d) Help her find a place to live and a job.
14. Why did Allison travel to Linwood, NC?
(a) To find a husband.
(b) To find a job.
(c) Because her aunt left her an estate there.
(d) To visit her aunt.
15. What color enamel does Allison find under the soot covering the stove?
(a) Red and blue.
(b) Red and white.
(c) Black and white.
(d) Turquoise and white.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Will and Ewell McBee first meet?
2. How does Allison travel to Linwood, NC?
3. Why does Allison go to see Jerry at Washau Motors?
4. What does Allison notice that many of the young people are wearing as she watches from the bench?
5. Which of these is NOT one of the treasures that Allison finds in the cellar of the burned down estate?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)