|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Damian Rose disguised as while he waits at Tryall during the pursuit of Duane Nicholson?
2. Why does Carrie say she double-crossed Damian?
3. What do Peter MacDonald and Meral Johnson do after the machete killings are over?
4. What does Peter ask the CIA for?
5. Who does Peter pretend to be to get to see Jane?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the deaths of Carol Hill and Jane similar?
2. What is the most likely reason Hill is able to track down Damian?
3. Does the mafia get what it wants out of the deal with the Roses?
4. How is Jane killed?
5. What deal does Peter make with the priest at the funeral?
6. Why does Carrie Rose think she can get away with publishing an account of the murders?
7. What role do the male models Carrie hires play in the Roses' escape plan?
8. What do state troopers find at Harold Hill's house?
9. What does Harold Hill think after he kills Damian Rose?
10. How does Meral feel toward Peter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss image and identity in the novel.
1) Damian is always using disguises. What psychological reasons might he have for wanting to conceal his identity? What is his true self-image?
2) Carrie disguises herself and uses her image to manipulate those around her. She even lies to Damian. What is her true identity, and does it get lost in her lies?
3) How does the Prime Minister manipulate his political image and identity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss love in the novel. The main villains are a husband and wife, and the main heroic characters are involved in a relationship also. Do any of the characters in the novel love each other? What obstacles are there to love in the novel? How is love related to sex? How is love related to trust?
Essay Topic 3
The machete is an important element in the novels, marking the series of murders. Why is the machete chosen as a tool by the Roses? Why does the author choose to use machetes? What cultural significance does the machete have on the island? What meaning does the machete take on during the murders?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)