|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the models?
2. What does Damian Rose warn Brooks Campbell not to do?
3. Where does Peter tell John Sampson he's from?
4. Where does the CIA move Peter to on May 10?
5. Who drives the Grasshopper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do state troopers find at Harold Hill's house?
2. What is Betsy Porte-Smith's role in Carrie's scheme?
3. How does Harold Hill respond when Brooks expresses sympathy for Hill's wife's death?
4. Why does Carrie Rose think she can get away with publishing an account of the murders?
5. How does Meral feel toward Peter?
6. What deal does Peter make with the priest at the funeral?
7. How is Jane killed?
8. What does Harold Hill think after he kills Damian Rose?
9. Does Duane Nicholson know he's being followed when he leaves the Forenza residence?
10. Does the mafia get what it wants out of the deal with the Roses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss race in the novel.
1) How does the history of racial relationships lead to the current situation in San Dominica? How independent is San Dominica, and how is it still dependent on the United States? How does this relate to racial tension?
2) Why are the major players in the novel white Americans?
3) How does the novel portray racial identity and conflict?
Essay Topic 2
The machete is an important element in the novels, marking the series of murders. Why is the machete chosen as a tool by the Roses? Why does the author choose to use machetes? What cultural significance does the machete have on the island? What meaning does the machete take on during the murders?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss image and identity in the novel.
1) Damian is always using disguises. What psychological reasons might he have for wanting to conceal his identity? What is his true self-image?
2) Carrie disguises herself and uses her image to manipulate those around her. She even lies to Damian. What is her true identity, and does it get lost in her lies?
3) How does the Prime Minister manipulate his political image and identity?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)