|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Leon Ratchet likely connected with?
2. What are the people who are killed at the airport doing?
3. How is Marks killed?
4. How many machete killings occur on the second day?
5. What swims by the Lieutenant and his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What various motivations are ascribed for the murder?
2. How does Carrie Rose portray her diary when she tries to sell it?
3. What is the judge's attitude toward the people he is sentencing?
4. Why does the U.S. government want to get rid of the Roses?
5. Describe Turtle Bay.
6. Describe the meeting in Lathrop Wells, Nevada.
7. Why does Carrie Rose kill her ex-partner?
8. What information does Carrie Rose give about Damian Rose's family?
9. Describe the people who are on trial for murder.
10. How proficient is Peter with a gun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss image and identity in the novel.
1) Damian is always using disguises. What psychological reasons might he have for wanting to conceal his identity? What is his true self-image?
2) Carrie disguises herself and uses her image to manipulate those around her. She even lies to Damian. What is her true identity, and does it get lost in her lies?
3) How does the Prime Minister manipulate his political image and identity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Damian Rose's character.
1) How does Damian Rose see himself? What motivates him to be a criminal?
2) How does Carrie Rose see Damian? How is her view of his character different than Damian's view?
3) What is an objective view of Damian Rose's character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss trust in the novel. Who among the characters is trustworthy? What reasons do the characters have for trusting or distrusting each other? How do characters enter into agreements (such as the arms deal or the machete plot) without trustworthiness? Why does Damian trust Carrie? What is the result of trust in the novel?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)