|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chief of police count at the murder scene?
2. At what airport does Damian Rose set off a bomb?
3. What does Leon see in the air as he comes out of the courthouse?
4. What does the Cuban put on the machete?
5. Who kills Nickie Handy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Carrie Rose say in her diary that ordinary farmers with machetes caused heart attacks?
2. What upsets Brooks Campbell about Peter's story?
3. What are Monkey Dred's demands in the letter delivered to the Evening Star?
4. Why do the Roses sell guns to Dred?
5. Why does the United States government use a cover organization?
6. Describe the relationship between Harold Hill and Brooks Campbell.
7. Why might Monkey Dred bring an extra car to the arms deal, despite his earlier agreement with Carrie Rose?
8. Why does Peter think the chances of anyone listening to his story are reduced?
9. Why does Damian leave Carrie in the water with the guns while he makes the deal with Dred?
10. Why does the U.S. government want to get rid of the Roses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider Peter as the protagonist of the novel.
1) Typically, the protagonist drives the action of a novel forward. Peter is the heroic figure in the novel, but does he drive the action, or is he merely manipulated by events (or other characters)?
2) Typically, the protagonist also undergoes a change during a novel. How does Peter change over the course of the novel? What does he learn about himself and the world?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of women in the novel.
1) Carrie Rose is the main female character. How is she portrayed? How is she different from the men in the book? How does Damian treat her?
2) The only other major female character is Jane. How is Jane similar to, or different from, Carrie? How does Peter treat her?
3) What does the portrayal of these two women say about the author's view of women? Why are there so few female characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The machete is an important element in the novels, marking the series of murders. Why is the machete chosen as a tool by the Roses? Why does the author choose to use machetes? What cultural significance does the machete have on the island? What meaning does the machete take on during the murders?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)