|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Sa'eed?
2. What did the narrator feel like doing when he leaves Mustafa's house?
3. Who was the narrator thinking about during his ghastly journey to the village?
4. To which school did the narrator and his friend Mahjoub go together?
5. What did the narrator think to do with the room when he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the narrator think about the people in the pictures?
2. How does the narrator relate Jean Morris to Hosna?
3. How do you know from the book that the Sudan is a hot country?
4. Describe how the narrator left the village again after his conversations with Hosna and Mahjoub.
5. During the car trip, the narrator decided to write somebody. Who did he want to write and why?
6. Mahjoub and the narrator have a short conversation about Khartoum. What did they talk about? What did the narrator not talk about?
7. How does the book end?
8. How did the busy day of driving end for the narrator and his driver?
9. The narrator never finished his story about Mustafa. How would you end this story?
10. How does the narrator learn what happened to Hosna and Wad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mustafa's widow Hosna and Wad Reyyes become a part of each other's lives. Describe their history together and how this influences other people. How do they become involved? Why? What does Wad want? What does Hosna want? What happens to the two people? What is their dramatic end a result from? How do the villagers react to the events? How does the narrator feel about the events? How does Mahjoub feel about the event? How does this event change the relationship between the narrator and his friend Mahjoub? Why does the narrator feel he indirectly killed Hosna?
Essay Topic 2
In pages 45-60, an important event is talked about. Describe the event. What do you learn about the river? What's its name? How frequent does an event like this happen? Why is it called legendary? Why is the event important for the plot of the book? How do you relate this event to the character of Mustafa? How do you relate it to the character of the narrator? What do you think happened to Mustafa? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator does not finish the story of Mustafa Sa'eed. Why not? What is your interpretation? Were there indications throughout the book that Mustafa's story would not get finished? If so, give examples. How does the narrator's own story finish? What are your thoughts about the ending of the book?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)