|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mahmoud?
2. What resulted in the death of Hosna, according to the narrator?
3. What would Hosna not do to Wad for two weeks after the wedding?
4. How did the narrator leave the triangular room?
5. What killed Wad and Hosna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had happened to Hosna and Wad while the narrator was away from the village?
2. How does the book end?
3. The narrator never finished his story about Mustafa. How would you end this story?
4. Where did the narrator go after leaving Mustafa's house and what happened there?
5. Who did the narrator and his driver run into during the car trip and what happens?
6. What were all the things that are tangled up, according to the narrator?
7. What did the narrator do with the triangular room, after he's finished there?
8. What happened when the narrator and his friend Mahjoub talk about the murders?
9. Who are Mustafa's children and what is the narrator's relationship with them?
10. How did the busy day of driving end for the narrator and his driver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The triangular room is mentioned throughout the book. What is this room? Why is it important? Whose room is it? What does the narrator have to do with this room? What happens to the room? What are the contents in this room? What does the narrator do in this room? What does he see and what is his reaction? What does he relate the pictures of the women to? How is Jean Morris' death related to Hosna's death? How does the narrator leave the room? Why is his being in the room important to the conclusion of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Mustafa's widow Hosna and Wad Reyyes become a part of each other's lives. Describe their history together and how this influences other people. How do they become involved? Why? What does Wad want? What does Hosna want? What happens to the two people? What is their dramatic end a result from? How do the villagers react to the events? How does the narrator feel about the events? How does Mahjoub feel about the event? How does this event change the relationship between the narrator and his friend Mahjoub? Why does the narrator feel he indirectly killed Hosna?
Essay Topic 3
An important meeting takes place in the beginning of the book. During the narrator's absence in the village, a stranger by the name of Mustafa has arrived and settled. Describe how the narrator and Mustafa first meet. How do they get to know each other? How does their relationship evolve? Why is this evolving relationship important for the plot of the book?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)