|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator tell his friend Mahjoub about in Khartoum?
2. Who did the narrator talk to when Mahmoud and Sa'eed left?
3. Who was the narrator thinking about during his ghastly journey to the village?
4. Where did Mustafa's car stop for servicing?
5. How did the narrator try to get help when caught in something at the end of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator learn what happened to Hosna and Wad?
2. How did the busy day of driving end for the narrator and his driver?
3. How does the book end?
4. What were the narrator and Mahjoub talking about when they were in a drunken state before he leaves the village?
5. Describe how the narrator left the village again after his conversations with Hosna and Mahjoub.
6. Who met the narrator when he arrives by steamer, not too long after he had left, and what do they talk about?
7. Mahjoub and the narrator have a short conversation about Khartoum. What did they talk about? What did the narrator not talk about?
8. What did Mahjoub tell the narrator about Mustafa?
9. What had happened to Hosna and Wad while the narrator was away from the village?
10. What does Hosna tell the narrator about Mustafa when he visited her one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "Season of Migration to the North", Europe and the Europeans come up in a lot of conversations. What is being said in the book about Europe? What is the villagers' idea about Europeans? Differentiate what the different characters think or say about Europeans. What is the narrator's response to everybody's thoughts about Europe? What is his experience about Europeans? How does all the information about Europeans in the book relate to your opinions or thoughts about Europe? How would the book have been different if the narrator had not lived in Europe?
Essay Topic 2
In pages 45-60, an important event is talked about. Describe the event. What do you learn about the river? What's its name? How frequent does an event like this happen? Why is it called legendary? Why is the event important for the plot of the book? How do you relate this event to the character of Mustafa? How do you relate it to the character of the narrator? What do you think happened to Mustafa? Why?
Essay Topic 3
On page 61, in Chapter 4, the narrator says "But I would hope you will not entertain the idea, dear sirs, that Mustafa Sa'eed had become an obsession that was ever with me in my comings and goings. Sometimes months would pass without his crossing my mind. In any case, he had died, by drowning or by suicide - God alone knows". What does he mean with this statement? Do you agree with the narrator? Is he obsessed with Mustafa or not? Explain your answer with examples from the book and with your own interpretations.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)