|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what kind of condition were the narrator and his friend Mahjoub in when they talked about Mustafa?
2. What did the narrator find in the triangular room?
3. What did the narrator decide to do when he gets caught in something?
4. Why did Hosna think Mustafa knew he was going to be gone?
5. What would Hosna not do to Wad for two weeks after the wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hosna tell the narrator about Mustafa when he visited her one day?
2. What did the narrator do with Mustafa and Hosna?
3. How does the narrator learn what happened to Hosna and Wad?
4. In pages 134-165, the narrator wonders what has happened to his world. Explain this feeling.
5. What were all the things that are tangled up, according to the narrator?
6. How do you know from the book that the Sudan is a hot country?
7. What were the narrator and Mahjoub talking about when they were in a drunken state before he leaves the village?
8. What did the narrator do when he approaches the triangular room?
9. Who did the narrator and his driver run into during the car trip and what happens?
10. Give your opinion about the book and its two main characters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On page 61, in Chapter 4, the narrator says "But I would hope you will not entertain the idea, dear sirs, that Mustafa Sa'eed had become an obsession that was ever with me in my comings and goings. Sometimes months would pass without his crossing my mind. In any case, he had died, by drowning or by suicide - God alone knows". What does he mean with this statement? Do you agree with the narrator? Is he obsessed with Mustafa or not? Explain your answer with examples from the book and with your own interpretations.
Essay Topic 2
An important meeting takes place in the beginning of the book. During the narrator's absence in the village, a stranger by the name of Mustafa has arrived and settled. Describe how the narrator and Mustafa first meet. How do they get to know each other? How does their relationship evolve? Why is this evolving relationship important for the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
When Mustafa lives in London, he meets a woman at a party in Chelsea. Describe this episode in Mustafa's life. What do you know about this woman? What is her name? Who is she? What happens to her? How does this influence Mustafa's life? How is this woman related to other women in Mustafa's life? What is the result of this woman's fate for Mustafa?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)