|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the narrator want to contact Mrs. Robinson?
2. Which war did Mustafa write comments about in the letter to the narrator?
3. How old is Sa'eed?
4. Who are Mahmoud and Sa'eed?
5. How did the narrator and his driver try to escape the heat of the sun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the narrator do with Mustafa and Hosna?
2. Who are Mustafa's children and what is the narrator's relationship with them?
3. What did the narrator do when he approaches the triangular room?
4. Who did the narrator and his driver run into during the car trip and what happens?
5. Describe how the narrator left the village again after his conversations with Hosna and Mahjoub.
6. How does the narrator relate Jean Morris to Hosna?
7. Soon after leaving the village, the narrator has to go back. Why?
8. In pages 134-165, the narrator wonders what has happened to his world. Explain this feeling.
9. What did the narrator think about the people in the pictures?
10. What was Wad Reyyes' reaction when the narrator told him Hosna's reaction to the idea of marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On pages 105-115, the narrator and his driver make a car trip back to Khartoum. Describe this trip. Through the trip, what do you learn about the Sudan? What decisions does the narrator make on this trip? Are the events important for the plot of the book? Why or why not? Why do you think the author wrote this chapter in the book?
Essay Topic 2
An important meeting takes place in the beginning of the book. During the narrator's absence in the village, a stranger by the name of Mustafa has arrived and settled. Describe how the narrator and Mustafa first meet. How do they get to know each other? How does their relationship evolve? Why is this evolving relationship important for the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In pages 45-60, an important event is talked about. Describe the event. What do you learn about the river? What's its name? How frequent does an event like this happen? Why is it called legendary? Why is the event important for the plot of the book? How do you relate this event to the character of Mustafa? How do you relate it to the character of the narrator? What do you think happened to Mustafa? Why?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)