|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the occupants of the government car going to do?
2. To which school did the narrator and his friend Mahjoub go together?
3. How long ago did he leave the village the last time?
4. What did the narrator do with the door of the courtyard when leaving?
5. What did the narrator wonder after hearing about the tragedy in his village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Soon after leaving the village, the narrator has to go back. Why?
2. The narrator never finished his story about Mustafa. How would you end this story?
3. Where did the narrator go after leaving Mustafa's house and what happened there?
4. What did the narrator do when he approaches the triangular room?
5. Who met the narrator when he arrives by steamer, not too long after he had left, and what do they talk about?
6. What do you know about the character Mahjoub?
7. Who are Mustafa's children and what is the narrator's relationship with them?
8. What happened when the narrator and his friend Mahjoub talk about the murders?
9. What did the narrator find in the triangular room and what did he do while in there?
10. What was Wad Reyyes' reaction when the narrator told him Hosna's reaction to the idea of marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the narrator returns to his Sudanese village, after an absence of seven years, everybody is happy about this event. How do you know this? How is the narrator's happiness to be back in the village expressed in the book? How do you know his family and friends are happy he is back? Describe their actions and feelings. Use evidence from the book. Give a few other examples of how happiness can be expressed in literature.
Essay Topic 2
On page 61, in Chapter 4, the narrator says "But I would hope you will not entertain the idea, dear sirs, that Mustafa Sa'eed had become an obsession that was ever with me in my comings and goings. Sometimes months would pass without his crossing my mind. In any case, he had died, by drowning or by suicide - God alone knows". What does he mean with this statement? Do you agree with the narrator? Is he obsessed with Mustafa or not? Explain your answer with examples from the book and with your own interpretations.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator and Mustafa are the main characters in "Season of Migration to the North." What do you know about Mustafa's appearance and character? How is that information brought to the reader? What do you know about the narrator? How are the two characters important to each other? Compare and contrast the characters of Mustafa and the narrator. How are they alike? What are their differences?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)