|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator do when he's tired of looking over the contents in the triangular room?
2. How did the narrator describe Mustafa while in the room?
3. Why was the land of the narrator condemned?
4. Where did the two cars go after their occupants met?
5. How did the narrator feel about Hosna?
Short Essay Questions
1. The narrator never finished his story about Mustafa. How would you end this story?
2. What did the narrator do when he approaches the triangular room?
3. During the car trip, the narrator decided to write somebody. Who did he want to write and why?
4. Soon after leaving the village, the narrator has to go back. Why?
5. What was Wad Reyyes' reaction when the narrator told him Hosna's reaction to the idea of marriage?
6. What do you know about the character Mahjoub?
7. What did the narrator do with Mustafa and Hosna?
8. What does Hosna tell the narrator about Mustafa when he visited her one day?
9. What did the narrator find in the triangular room and what did he do while in there?
10. What did Mahjoub tell the narrator about Mustafa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important part in "Season of Migration to the North" is the difference between the Western and the African culture. While reading, you learn a lot about the African culture. Give a few examples from the book about African life. Think about the narrator's arrival and stay in the village to describe tribal life. How does the African culture differ from the American culture? Compare and contrast African and American life.
Essay Topic 2
On page 61, in Chapter 4, the narrator says "But I would hope you will not entertain the idea, dear sirs, that Mustafa Sa'eed had become an obsession that was ever with me in my comings and goings. Sometimes months would pass without his crossing my mind. In any case, he had died, by drowning or by suicide - God alone knows". What does he mean with this statement? Do you agree with the narrator? Is he obsessed with Mustafa or not? Explain your answer with examples from the book and with your own interpretations.
Essay Topic 3
The triangular room is mentioned throughout the book. What is this room? Why is it important? Whose room is it? What does the narrator have to do with this room? What happens to the room? What are the contents in this room? What does the narrator do in this room? What does he see and what is his reaction? What does he relate the pictures of the women to? How is Jean Morris' death related to Hosna's death? How does the narrator leave the room? Why is his being in the room important to the conclusion of the book?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)