|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Sa'eed?
2. Where did Mrs. Robinson live?
3. Who did a conference delegate praise about to Mahjoub?
4. What did the narrator and his friend Mahjoub banter about being in Mustafa's special room?
5. How far did the narrator get before he couldn't go any further?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mahjoub tell the narrator about Mustafa?
2. What do you know about the character Mahjoub?
3. What did the narrator do when he approaches the triangular room?
4. What did the narrator do with the triangular room, after he's finished there?
5. The narrator never finished his story about Mustafa. How would you end this story?
6. What did the narrator find in the triangular room and what did he do while in there?
7. Mahjoub and the narrator have a short conversation about Khartoum. What did they talk about? What did the narrator not talk about?
8. Soon after leaving the village, the narrator has to go back. Why?
9. What had happened to Hosna and Wad while the narrator was away from the village?
10. What was Wad Reyyes' reaction when the narrator told him Hosna's reaction to the idea of marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the narrator returns to his Sudanese village, after an absence of seven years, everybody is happy about this event. How do you know this? How is the narrator's happiness to be back in the village expressed in the book? How do you know his family and friends are happy he is back? Describe their actions and feelings. Use evidence from the book. Give a few other examples of how happiness can be expressed in literature.
Essay Topic 2
Agriculture is very important in an African village like the one the narrator grows up in. Why is this important? How do you know it is important? Who refers to it in the book and what is discussed? What is the Agricultural Project Committee and Co-operative? Who were important members of it? How do you relate Mahjoub's influence to this Committee? What does Mustafa have to do with the Committee? What do the Committee and the subject of agriculture have to do with Mahjoub and Mustafa's relationship? How does Mahjoub feel towards Mustafa? Why? Relate these two characters to the Agricultural Project Committee and Co'operative.
Essay Topic 3
Mustafa's widow and the narrator have a complicated relationship. How would you describe their relationship? Why is it complicated? Why are the complicated issues not resolved? How does this relation influence the life of both characters? How would you resolve a similar situation?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)