|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator ask Hosna?
2. What did the narrator relate his knowledge of the women in the pictures to?
3. Who asked for a cigarette when the narrator and his driver are out in the hot sun?
4. How did the narrator enter the triangular room?
5. How long ago did he leave the village the last time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you know about the character Mahjoub?
2. How does the narrator relate Jean Morris to Hosna?
3. What were the narrator and Mahjoub talking about when they were in a drunken state before he leaves the village?
4. Give your opinion about the book and its two main characters.
5. The narrator never finished his story about Mustafa. How would you end this story?
6. What were all the things that are tangled up, according to the narrator?
7. What did the narrator think about the people in the pictures?
8. What did the narrator do with the triangular room, after he's finished there?
9. What did the narrator do with Mustafa and Hosna?
10. Who met the narrator when he arrives by steamer, not too long after he had left, and what do they talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mustafa's widow Hosna and Wad Reyyes become a part of each other's lives. Describe their history together and how this influences other people. How do they become involved? Why? What does Wad want? What does Hosna want? What happens to the two people? What is their dramatic end a result from? How do the villagers react to the events? How does the narrator feel about the events? How does Mahjoub feel about the event? How does this event change the relationship between the narrator and his friend Mahjoub? Why does the narrator feel he indirectly killed Hosna?
Essay Topic 2
In pages 45-60, an important event is talked about. Describe the event. What do you learn about the river? What's its name? How frequent does an event like this happen? Why is it called legendary? Why is the event important for the plot of the book? How do you relate this event to the character of Mustafa? How do you relate it to the character of the narrator? What do you think happened to Mustafa? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used when the narrator visits Mustafa's widow and they talk. What is being said that will influence Hosna's future? Where is the foreshadowing being used? What does foreshadowing mean? Explain this principle with the example about Hosna in the book. Are there other cases of foreshadowing used by the author? If so, give a few more examples.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)