|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator feel when he's done looking around in the triangular room?
2. Who did a conference delegate praise about to Mahjoub?
3. Why did the narrator and his driver stop by a government car?
4. What did Wad say when he heard Hosna's reaction to the marriage plans?
5. How did the narrator and his driver try to escape the heat of the sun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the narrator and Mahjoub talking about when they were in a drunken state before he leaves the village?
2. What did Mahjoub tell the narrator about Mustafa?
3. Describe how the narrator left the village again after his conversations with Hosna and Mahjoub.
4. How did the busy day of driving end for the narrator and his driver?
5. What do you know about the character Mahjoub?
6. How does the book end?
7. How does the narrator learn what happened to Hosna and Wad?
8. Soon after leaving the village, the narrator has to go back. Why?
9. Give your opinion about the book and its two main characters.
10. How do you know from the book that the Sudan is a hot country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important meeting takes place in the beginning of the book. During the narrator's absence in the village, a stranger by the name of Mustafa has arrived and settled. Describe how the narrator and Mustafa first meet. How do they get to know each other? How does their relationship evolve? Why is this evolving relationship important for the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
The triangular room is mentioned throughout the book. What is this room? Why is it important? Whose room is it? What does the narrator have to do with this room? What happens to the room? What are the contents in this room? What does the narrator do in this room? What does he see and what is his reaction? What does he relate the pictures of the women to? How is Jean Morris' death related to Hosna's death? How does the narrator leave the room? Why is his being in the room important to the conclusion of the book?
Essay Topic 3
On pages 105-115, the narrator and his driver make a car trip back to Khartoum. Describe this trip. Through the trip, what do you learn about the Sudan? What decisions does the narrator make on this trip? Are the events important for the plot of the book? Why or why not? Why do you think the author wrote this chapter in the book?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)