|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Mahmoud and Sa'eed?
2. What happened to the narrator while he looked around in the triangular room?
3. What kind of a person was Mustafa towards Hosna?
4. Where did the narrator fight his way to at the end of the book?
5. What is the name of the narrator's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator relate Jean Morris to Hosna?
2. Who are Mustafa's children and what is the narrator's relationship with them?
3. How did the busy day of driving end for the narrator and his driver?
4. What happened when the narrator and his friend Mahjoub talk about the murders?
5. Describe how the narrator left the village again after his conversations with Hosna and Mahjoub.
6. Where did the narrator go after leaving Mustafa's house and what happened there?
7. What did the narrator tell Hosna about marriage and how did she react to this?
8. What does Hosna tell the narrator about Mustafa when he visited her one day?
9. Who met the narrator when he arrives by steamer, not too long after he had left, and what do they talk about?
10. What did the narrator do with Mustafa and Hosna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The triangular room is mentioned throughout the book. What is this room? Why is it important? Whose room is it? What does the narrator have to do with this room? What happens to the room? What are the contents in this room? What does the narrator do in this room? What does he see and what is his reaction? What does he relate the pictures of the women to? How is Jean Morris' death related to Hosna's death? How does the narrator leave the room? Why is his being in the room important to the conclusion of the book?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator and Mustafa are the main characters in "Season of Migration to the North." What do you know about Mustafa's appearance and character? How is that information brought to the reader? What do you know about the narrator? How are the two characters important to each other? Compare and contrast the characters of Mustafa and the narrator. How are they alike? What are their differences?
Essay Topic 3
Mustafa's widow and the narrator have a complicated relationship. How would you describe their relationship? Why is it complicated? Why are the complicated issues not resolved? How does this relation influence the life of both characters? How would you resolve a similar situation?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)