|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the narrator leave for after the ceremony in his village?
2. Where did the narrator go to after leaving Mustafa's house?
3. What did the narrator ask Hosna?
4. What was written in a notebook the narrator found in the triangular room?
5. What did Mustafa do in his sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the busy day of driving end for the narrator and his driver?
2. In pages 134-165, the narrator wonders what has happened to his world. Explain this feeling.
3. Where did the narrator go after leaving Mustafa's house and what happened there?
4. Describe how the narrator left the village again after his conversations with Hosna and Mahjoub.
5. The narrator never finished his story about Mustafa. How would you end this story?
6. What does Hosna tell the narrator about Mustafa when he visited her one day?
7. Who met the narrator when he arrives by steamer, not too long after he had left, and what do they talk about?
8. How do you know from the book that the Sudan is a hot country?
9. What did the narrator do with Mustafa and Hosna?
10. What did Mahjoub tell the narrator about Mustafa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Season of Migration to the North" is basically a "story within a story". How can you tell this is the case? Use your own words to explain the story within the story in the book and find a few examples to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
On pages 105-115, the narrator and his driver make a car trip back to Khartoum. Describe this trip. Through the trip, what do you learn about the Sudan? What decisions does the narrator make on this trip? Are the events important for the plot of the book? Why or why not? Why do you think the author wrote this chapter in the book?
Essay Topic 3
An important meeting takes place in the beginning of the book. During the narrator's absence in the village, a stranger by the name of Mustafa has arrived and settled. Describe how the narrator and Mustafa first meet. How do they get to know each other? How does their relationship evolve? Why is this evolving relationship important for the plot of the book?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)