|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator tell his friend Mahjoub about in Khartoum?
2. Who was the narrator thinking about during his drive away from the village?
3. What did the narrator feel towards the women in the pictures?
4. How did the narrator describe Mustafa while in the room?
5. How did the narrator try to get to where he wants to go at the end of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the car trip, the narrator decided to write somebody. Who did he want to write and why?
2. What did the narrator do with Mustafa and Hosna?
3. How does the book end?
4. Describe how the narrator left the village again after his conversations with Hosna and Mahjoub.
5. What do you know about the character Mahjoub?
6. How do you know from the book that the Sudan is a hot country?
7. Who met the narrator when he arrives by steamer, not too long after he had left, and what do they talk about?
8. Mahjoub and the narrator have a short conversation about Khartoum. What did they talk about? What did the narrator not talk about?
9. In pages 134-165, the narrator wonders what has happened to his world. Explain this feeling.
10. How does the narrator learn what happened to Hosna and Wad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On pages 105-115, the narrator and his driver make a car trip back to Khartoum. Describe this trip. Through the trip, what do you learn about the Sudan? What decisions does the narrator make on this trip? Are the events important for the plot of the book? Why or why not? Why do you think the author wrote this chapter in the book?
Essay Topic 2
When the narrator returns to his Sudanese village, after an absence of seven years, everybody is happy about this event. How do you know this? How is the narrator's happiness to be back in the village expressed in the book? How do you know his family and friends are happy he is back? Describe their actions and feelings. Use evidence from the book. Give a few other examples of how happiness can be expressed in literature.
Essay Topic 3
Mustafa suffered from wanderlust. How is this portrayed in the book? What does Mustafa do to fulfill this wanderlust? Where does he go? Why? What does he do there? Where does he finally end up? Is this the end of his wanderlust? Why do you think that? How is his wanderlust related to his disappearance? Compare or contrast Mustafa's wanderlust with what he wants for his sons. Use supporting evidence from the book. Relate this wanderlust to the narrator's perception of what happened to Mustafa.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)