|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the narrator fight his way to at the end of the book?
2. What kind of a person was Mustafa towards Hosna?
3. How were Hosna and Wad buried?
4. What did the narrator think about another fire in the village?
5. Why did the narrator go back to the village after leaving by car?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator learn what happened to Hosna and Wad?
2. Mahjoub and the narrator have a short conversation about Khartoum. What did they talk about? What did the narrator not talk about?
3. How do you know from the book that the Sudan is a hot country?
4. What did the narrator do with the triangular room, after he's finished there?
5. What did the narrator tell Hosna about marriage and how did she react to this?
6. What were all the things that are tangled up, according to the narrator?
7. In pages 134-165, the narrator wonders what has happened to his world. Explain this feeling.
8. What did the narrator think about the people in the pictures?
9. Where did the narrator go after leaving Mustafa's house and what happened there?
10. Soon after leaving the village, the narrator has to go back. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Season of Migration to the North" is basically a "story within a story". How can you tell this is the case? Use your own words to explain the story within the story in the book and find a few examples to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
An important meeting takes place in the beginning of the book. During the narrator's absence in the village, a stranger by the name of Mustafa has arrived and settled. Describe how the narrator and Mustafa first meet. How do they get to know each other? How does their relationship evolve? Why is this evolving relationship important for the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In pages 45-60, an important event is talked about. Describe the event. What do you learn about the river? What's its name? How frequent does an event like this happen? Why is it called legendary? Why is the event important for the plot of the book? How do you relate this event to the character of Mustafa? How do you relate it to the character of the narrator? What do you think happened to Mustafa? Why?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)