|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator find in the triangular room?
2. What did the narrator think about another fire in the village?
3. What did the narrator wonder about the women he saw pictures of?
4. What did the narrator ask Hosna?
5. What was the narrator caught in when he couldn't go any further?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Mustafa's children and what is the narrator's relationship with them?
2. What were all the things that are tangled up, according to the narrator?
3. How did the busy day of driving end for the narrator and his driver?
4. What were the narrator and Mahjoub talking about when they were in a drunken state before he leaves the village?
5. What had happened to Hosna and Wad while the narrator was away from the village?
6. What happened when the narrator and his friend Mahjoub talk about the murders?
7. What does Hosna tell the narrator about Mustafa when he visited her one day?
8. Who did the narrator and his driver run into during the car trip and what happens?
9. How does the book end?
10. During the car trip, the narrator decided to write somebody. Who did he want to write and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mustafa's widow and the narrator have a complicated relationship. How would you describe their relationship? Why is it complicated? Why are the complicated issues not resolved? How does this relation influence the life of both characters? How would you resolve a similar situation?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator and Mustafa are the main characters in "Season of Migration to the North." What do you know about Mustafa's appearance and character? How is that information brought to the reader? What do you know about the narrator? How are the two characters important to each other? Compare and contrast the characters of Mustafa and the narrator. How are they alike? What are their differences?
Essay Topic 3
The triangular room is mentioned throughout the book. What is this room? Why is it important? Whose room is it? What does the narrator have to do with this room? What happens to the room? What are the contents in this room? What does the narrator do in this room? What does he see and what is his reaction? What does he relate the pictures of the women to? How is Jean Morris' death related to Hosna's death? How does the narrator leave the room? Why is his being in the room important to the conclusion of the book?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)