|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Sa'eed?
2. How long ago did he leave the village the last time?
3. Why did the narrator feel he lost the war?
4. What did the narrator regret not having done?
5. Why did the narrator go back to the village after leaving by car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the narrator tell Hosna about marriage and how did she react to this?
2. What were the narrator and Mahjoub talking about when they were in a drunken state before he leaves the village?
3. How does the narrator relate Jean Morris to Hosna?
4. What had happened to Hosna and Wad while the narrator was away from the village?
5. Describe how the narrator left the village again after his conversations with Hosna and Mahjoub.
6. What did the narrator do with Mustafa and Hosna?
7. What did the narrator do when he approaches the triangular room?
8. Where did the narrator go after leaving Mustafa's house and what happened there?
9. What happened when the narrator and his friend Mahjoub talk about the murders?
10. What did the narrator do with the triangular room, after he's finished there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Mustafa lives in London, he meets a woman at a party in Chelsea. Describe this episode in Mustafa's life. What do you know about this woman? What is her name? Who is she? What happens to her? How does this influence Mustafa's life? How is this woman related to other women in Mustafa's life? What is the result of this woman's fate for Mustafa?
Essay Topic 2
When Mustafa was a child, a man on horseback appeared. How does this event change Mustafa's life? How did he react to this man? What were the consequences? How did this man influence Mustafa? How was Mustafa different from the other children? Describe the meeting between the man on the horse and Mustafa and relate it to Mustafa's further childhood and adulthood.
Essay Topic 3
Mustafa's widow Hosna and Wad Reyyes become a part of each other's lives. Describe their history together and how this influences other people. How do they become involved? Why? What does Wad want? What does Hosna want? What happens to the two people? What is their dramatic end a result from? How do the villagers react to the events? How does the narrator feel about the events? How does Mahjoub feel about the event? How does this event change the relationship between the narrator and his friend Mahjoub? Why does the narrator feel he indirectly killed Hosna?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)