|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason for his visit did the narrator give his mother?
2. How does the narrator finish the story of Mustafa?
3. Where did the two cars go after their occupants met?
4. How did the narrator enter the triangular room?
5. What did Mustafa do in his sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give your opinion about the book and its two main characters.
2. In pages 134-165, the narrator wonders what has happened to his world. Explain this feeling.
3. During the car trip, the narrator decided to write somebody. Who did he want to write and why?
4. What was Wad Reyyes' reaction when the narrator told him Hosna's reaction to the idea of marriage?
5. What did the narrator think about the people in the pictures?
6. Who are Mustafa's children and what is the narrator's relationship with them?
7. What do you know about the character Mahjoub?
8. What did the narrator do with Mustafa and Hosna?
9. Who did the narrator and his driver run into during the car trip and what happens?
10. What had happened to Hosna and Wad while the narrator was away from the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator's grandfather plays an important role in the narrator's life. Explain their relationship and use examples from the different chapters. What do you know about the grandfather? Where does he live? How does his house look like? What kind of a person is he? What do he and the narrator talk about? How do you know he is important to the narrator? Relate this importance to the narrator's memories and his experiences when visiting his village.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator does not finish the story of Mustafa Sa'eed. Why not? What is your interpretation? Were there indications throughout the book that Mustafa's story would not get finished? If so, give examples. How does the narrator's own story finish? What are your thoughts about the ending of the book?
Essay Topic 3
When Mustafa lives in London, he meets a woman at a party in Chelsea. Describe this episode in Mustafa's life. What do you know about this woman? What is her name? Who is she? What happens to her? How does this influence Mustafa's life? How is this woman related to other women in Mustafa's life? What is the result of this woman's fate for Mustafa?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)