|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the narrator go the day after he hears about Wad's marriage plans?
2. In what kind of condition were the narrator and his friend Mahjoub in when they talked about Mustafa?
3. Why did the narrator visit his sister?
4. Who did the narrator talk about the murders with, after visiting his sister?
5. What resulted in the death of Hosna, according to the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did the narrator and his driver run into during the car trip and what happens?
2. Who met the narrator when he arrives by steamer, not too long after he had left, and what do they talk about?
3. What did the narrator think about the people in the pictures?
4. What do you know about the character Mahjoub?
5. During the car trip, the narrator decided to write somebody. Who did he want to write and why?
6. What were all the things that are tangled up, according to the narrator?
7. Who are Mustafa's children and what is the narrator's relationship with them?
8. In pages 134-165, the narrator wonders what has happened to his world. Explain this feeling.
9. The narrator never finished his story about Mustafa. How would you end this story?
10. What did the narrator do with the triangular room, after he's finished there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mustafa's widow and the narrator have a complicated relationship. How would you describe their relationship? Why is it complicated? Why are the complicated issues not resolved? How does this relation influence the life of both characters? How would you resolve a similar situation?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used when the narrator visits Mustafa's widow and they talk. What is being said that will influence Hosna's future? Where is the foreshadowing being used? What does foreshadowing mean? Explain this principle with the example about Hosna in the book. Are there other cases of foreshadowing used by the author? If so, give a few more examples.
Essay Topic 3
Agriculture is very important in an African village like the one the narrator grows up in. Why is this important? How do you know it is important? Who refers to it in the book and what is discussed? What is the Agricultural Project Committee and Co-operative? Who were important members of it? How do you relate Mahjoub's influence to this Committee? What does Mustafa have to do with the Committee? What do the Committee and the subject of agriculture have to do with Mahjoub and Mustafa's relationship? How does Mahjoub feel towards Mustafa? Why? Relate these two characters to the Agricultural Project Committee and Co'operative.
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)