|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do when he hears the story about Mustafa in the train?
2. Why did Mustafa decide to stay in the village after leaving the place he was from?
3. What did Mustafa suffer from?
4. When did legendary flooding of the Nile occur?
5. Who was Mustafa's only relative?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you know about the legendary flooding of the Nile described in the book?
2. Which woman did Mustafa meet at a party in Chelsea and what happened to her?
3. What did grandfather tell the narrator about Wad Rayyes?
4. What did the narrator's companion on the train in Khartoum tell him about Mustafa and how did he react to this information?
5. What did Mustafa's school career look like?
6. How do the narrator and Mustafa first meet and what do they learn about each other?
7. What else, after the conversation about Western women, was being talked about in grandfather's house the same day?
8. How did the narrator feel about being back in his old village after being gone for seven years?
9. What did Mustafa do after he was released from prison?
10. What did the narrator learn on the way back to the village by donkey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Mustafa was a child, a man on horseback appeared. How does this event change Mustafa's life? How did he react to this man? What were the consequences? How did this man influence Mustafa? How was Mustafa different from the other children? Describe the meeting between the man on the horse and Mustafa and relate it to Mustafa's further childhood and adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
The triangular room is mentioned throughout the book. What is this room? Why is it important? Whose room is it? What does the narrator have to do with this room? What happens to the room? What are the contents in this room? What does the narrator do in this room? What does he see and what is his reaction? What does he relate the pictures of the women to? How is Jean Morris' death related to Hosna's death? How does the narrator leave the room? Why is his being in the room important to the conclusion of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used when the narrator visits Mustafa's widow and they talk. What is being said that will influence Hosna's future? Where is the foreshadowing being used? What does foreshadowing mean? Explain this principle with the example about Hosna in the book. Are there other cases of foreshadowing used by the author? If so, give a few more examples.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)