|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many different women was Mustafa living with simultaneously when he was with Jean?
2. Who does the narrator visit a month after the conversation on the train?
3. What did Mustafa cause to other young women?
4. What were tribal women that Western women are not?
5. How many days following their introduction do the narrator and Mustafa have dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Mustafa treated during his time in Cairo?
2. How does the narrator's knowledge of Mustafa conflict with that of his acquaintances from the University of Khartoum?
3. What was left for the narrator after Mustafa disappears?
4. What does Mustafa have to do with the topic of mixed marriages?
5. What do you know about Mustafa's family and how did that affect him?
6. What is being said about Western women during a conversation at the grandfather's house?
7. How do the narrator and Mustafa first meet and what do they learn about each other?
8. How did the narrator feel about being back in his old village after being gone for seven years?
9. Which woman did Mustafa meet at a party in Chelsea and what happened to her?
10. What did the narrator learn on the way back to the village by donkey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important meeting takes place in the beginning of the book. During the narrator's absence in the village, a stranger by the name of Mustafa has arrived and settled. Describe how the narrator and Mustafa first meet. How do they get to know each other? How does their relationship evolve? Why is this evolving relationship important for the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator does not finish the story of Mustafa Sa'eed. Why not? What is your interpretation? Were there indications throughout the book that Mustafa's story would not get finished? If so, give examples. How does the narrator's own story finish? What are your thoughts about the ending of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Mustafa's widow Hosna and Wad Reyyes become a part of each other's lives. Describe their history together and how this influences other people. How do they become involved? Why? What does Wad want? What does Hosna want? What happens to the two people? What is their dramatic end a result from? How do the villagers react to the events? How does the narrator feel about the events? How does Mahjoub feel about the event? How does this event change the relationship between the narrator and his friend Mahjoub? Why does the narrator feel he indirectly killed Hosna?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)