|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the villagers begin to build at one point?
2. With who did they banter back and forth about their sexual exploits at grandfather's house?
3. Which gift does Mustafa bring the narrator when he visits his house?
4. What did Mustafa suffer from?
5. How long has the narrator been gone before returning to his village in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the house of the narrator's grandfather look like?
2. How do the narrator and Mustafa first meet and what do they learn about each other?
3. What happened to Mustafa when he meets a man on horseback?
4. Who was the strange man in the village when the narrator gets back and how does he describe this man?
5. What did grandfather tell the narrator about Wad Rayyes?
6. Which woman did Mustafa meet at a party in Chelsea and what happened to her?
7. What did the narrator's companion on the train in Khartoum tell him about Mustafa and how did he react to this information?
8. What did you learn about Mustafa's trial in the pages 19-44?
9. Does Mustafa Sa'eed become an obsession for the narrator?
10. What did Mustafa want for his sons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agriculture is very important in an African village like the one the narrator grows up in. Why is this important? How do you know it is important? Who refers to it in the book and what is discussed? What is the Agricultural Project Committee and Co-operative? Who were important members of it? How do you relate Mahjoub's influence to this Committee? What does Mustafa have to do with the Committee? What do the Committee and the subject of agriculture have to do with Mahjoub and Mustafa's relationship? How does Mahjoub feel towards Mustafa? Why? Relate these two characters to the Agricultural Project Committee and Co'operative.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, a lot of people talk about Mustafa to the narrator. Summarize the information the narrator collects about Mustafa. Who does the narrator meet that talks to him about Mustafa? In which circumstances does this happen? What does the narrator learn about Mustafa? What is being said? How does he react to this information? What is said about Mustafa that is contradictory with the narrator's information? Who, of all these people with information, actually met Mustafa in person? Why do you think all these people talk about Mustafa and praise him? How do you think the narrator feels about this?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator does not finish the story of Mustafa Sa'eed. Why not? What is your interpretation? Were there indications throughout the book that Mustafa's story would not get finished? If so, give examples. How does the narrator's own story finish? What are your thoughts about the ending of the book?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)