|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were rooms added to the grandfather's house?
2. What does the narrator hear about Mustafa during the conversation in the train?
3. Who did Bint Mazjoub tell stories of?
4. When was the Sudanese independence?
5. What is the narrator's response to the presumption about Mustafa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What else, after the conversation about Western women, was being talked about in grandfather's house the same day?
2. Does Mustafa Sa'eed become an obsession for the narrator?
3. What is being said about Western women during a conversation at the grandfather's house?
4. What do you know about the narrator's grandfather as a person?
5. What does the narrator tell you about the steamer that brings him to his old village?
6. What did Mustafa's school career look like?
7. How does the narrator's knowledge of Mustafa conflict with that of his acquaintances from the University of Khartoum?
8. What was left for the narrator after Mustafa disappears?
9. What did Mustafa do after he was released from prison?
10. What does the narrator tell his family about the Europeans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The triangular room is mentioned throughout the book. What is this room? Why is it important? Whose room is it? What does the narrator have to do with this room? What happens to the room? What are the contents in this room? What does the narrator do in this room? What does he see and what is his reaction? What does he relate the pictures of the women to? How is Jean Morris' death related to Hosna's death? How does the narrator leave the room? Why is his being in the room important to the conclusion of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Agriculture is very important in an African village like the one the narrator grows up in. Why is this important? How do you know it is important? Who refers to it in the book and what is discussed? What is the Agricultural Project Committee and Co-operative? Who were important members of it? How do you relate Mahjoub's influence to this Committee? What does Mustafa have to do with the Committee? What do the Committee and the subject of agriculture have to do with Mahjoub and Mustafa's relationship? How does Mahjoub feel towards Mustafa? Why? Relate these two characters to the Agricultural Project Committee and Co'operative.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used when the narrator visits Mustafa's widow and they talk. What is being said that will influence Hosna's future? Where is the foreshadowing being used? What does foreshadowing mean? Explain this principle with the example about Hosna in the book. Are there other cases of foreshadowing used by the author? If so, give a few more examples.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)