|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many months a year dioesthe narrator spend in the village he grew up in?
2. What did the narrator miss most during his absence in the village?
3. What was presumed about Mustafa during the big flooding?
4. What does the subject turn to during the narrator's visit to the group of people, a month after the train conversation?
5. What did Mustafa suffer from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Mustafa when he meets a man on horseback?
2. What did Mustafa's school career look like?
3. What did Mustafa want for his sons?
4. What do you know about Mustafa's family and how did that affect him?
5. How can you tell that the village life seems unchanged to the narrator when he gets back after all those years?
6. What happened on the train one day, when the narrator works at the Department of Education in Khartoum?
7. What does Mustafa have to do with the topic of mixed marriages?
8. What do you know about the legendary flooding of the Nile described in the book?
9. Which woman did Mustafa meet at a party in Chelsea and what happened to her?
10. What else, after the conversation about Western women, was being talked about in grandfather's house the same day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator and Mustafa are the main characters in "Season of Migration to the North." What do you know about Mustafa's appearance and character? How is that information brought to the reader? What do you know about the narrator? How are the two characters important to each other? Compare and contrast the characters of Mustafa and the narrator. How are they alike? What are their differences?
Essay Topic 2
When Mustafa lives in London, he meets a woman at a party in Chelsea. Describe this episode in Mustafa's life. What do you know about this woman? What is her name? Who is she? What happens to her? How does this influence Mustafa's life? How is this woman related to other women in Mustafa's life? What is the result of this woman's fate for Mustafa?
Essay Topic 3
On pages 105-115, the narrator and his driver make a car trip back to Khartoum. Describe this trip. Through the trip, what do you learn about the Sudan? What decisions does the narrator make on this trip? Are the events important for the plot of the book? Why or why not? Why do you think the author wrote this chapter in the book?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)