Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator talk about when he returns to the village he grew up in?
2. How does the narrator think Mustafa died?
3. What is left for the narrator when Mustafa disappeared?
4. Which gift does Mustafa bring the narrator when he visits his house?
5. What did Mustafa do as the first Sudanese?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can you relate the narrator to the Acacia tree?
2. What did Mustafa want for his sons?
3. Describe how the narrator left the village again after his conversations with Hosna and Mahjoub.
4. What does Mustafa have to do with the topic of mixed marriages?
5. Which woman did Mustafa meet at a party in Chelsea and what happened to her?
6. How does the narrator relate Jean Morris to Hosna?
7. What was left for the narrator after Mustafa disappears?
8. What did Mustafa's school career look like?
9. How did the narrator feel about being back in his old village after being gone for seven years?
10. Who met the narrator when he arrives by steamer, not too long after he had left, and what do they talk about?
Essay Topic 1
Agriculture is very important in an African village like the one the narrator grows up in. Why is this important? How do you know it is important? Who refers to it in the book and what is discussed? What is the Agricultural Project Committee and Co-operative? Who were important members of it? How do you relate Mahjoub's influence to this Committee? What does Mustafa have to do with the Committee? What do the Committee and the subject of agriculture have to do with Mahjoub and Mustafa's relationship? How does Mahjoub feel towards Mustafa? Why? Relate these two characters to the Agricultural Project Committee and Co'operative.
Essay Topic 2
When the narrator returns to his Sudanese village, after an absence of seven years, everybody is happy about this event. How do you know this? How is the narrator's happiness to be back in the village expressed in the book? How do you know his family and friends are happy he is back? Describe their actions and feelings. Use evidence from the book. Give a few other examples of how happiness can be expressed in literature.
Essay Topic 3
Mustafa's widow Hosna and Wad Reyyes become a part of each other's lives. Describe their history together and how this influences other people. How do they become involved? Why? What does Wad want? What does Hosna want? What happens to the two people? What is their dramatic end a result from? How do the villagers react to the events? How does the narrator feel about the events? How does Mahjoub feel about the event? How does this event change the relationship between the narrator and his friend Mahjoub? Why does the narrator feel he indirectly killed Hosna?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)