|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Mustafa presented at his trial?
2. How did Mustafa feel when he grew up?
3. What had instructions about what to do in the event of Mustafa's death?
4. What does the narrator do when he hears the story about Mustafa in the train?
5. Who was Mustafa's only relative?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the narrator do after Mustafa told him his story?
2. What was left for the narrator after Mustafa disappears?
3. How does the narrator's knowledge of Mustafa conflict with that of his acquaintances from the University of Khartoum?
4. Does Mustafa Sa'eed become an obsession for the narrator?
5. What does the narrator tell his family about the Europeans?
6. What happened to Mustafa when he meets a man on horseback?
7. What do you know about the legendary flooding of the Nile described in the book?
8. What did Mustafa do after he was released from prison?
9. What did the narrator learn on the way back to the village by donkey?
10. What did Mustafa want for his sons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator and Mustafa are the main characters in "Season of Migration to the North." What do you know about Mustafa's appearance and character? How is that information brought to the reader? What do you know about the narrator? How are the two characters important to each other? Compare and contrast the characters of Mustafa and the narrator. How are they alike? What are their differences?
Essay Topic 2
"Season of Migration to the North" is basically a "story within a story". How can you tell this is the case? Use your own words to explain the story within the story in the book and find a few examples to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used when the narrator visits Mustafa's widow and they talk. What is being said that will influence Hosna's future? Where is the foreshadowing being used? What does foreshadowing mean? Explain this principle with the example about Hosna in the book. Are there other cases of foreshadowing used by the author? If so, give a few more examples.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)