|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jean Morris end her life?
2. Who does the narrator talk to one day when taking the train?
3. What is left for the narrator when Mustafa disappeared?
4. Who does the narrator remember when he sees his favorite tree?
5. Who did Bint Mazjoub tell stories of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is being said about Western women during a conversation at the grandfather's house?
2. What happened to Mustafa when he meets a man on horseback?
3. Who was the strange man in the village when the narrator gets back and how does he describe this man?
4. How did the narrator feel about being back in his old village after being gone for seven years?
5. What did you learn about Mustafa's trial in the pages 19-44?
6. What does Mustafa have to do with the topic of mixed marriages?
7. What does the narrator tell his family about the Europeans?
8. How does the house of the narrator's grandfather look like?
9. Does Mustafa Sa'eed become an obsession for the narrator?
10. What else, after the conversation about Western women, was being talked about in grandfather's house the same day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator's grandfather plays an important role in the narrator's life. Explain their relationship and use examples from the different chapters. What do you know about the grandfather? Where does he live? How does his house look like? What kind of a person is he? What do he and the narrator talk about? How do you know he is important to the narrator? Relate this importance to the narrator's memories and his experiences when visiting his village.
Essay Topic 2
The triangular room is mentioned throughout the book. What is this room? Why is it important? Whose room is it? What does the narrator have to do with this room? What happens to the room? What are the contents in this room? What does the narrator do in this room? What does he see and what is his reaction? What does he relate the pictures of the women to? How is Jean Morris' death related to Hosna's death? How does the narrator leave the room? Why is his being in the room important to the conclusion of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Mustafa suffered from wanderlust. How is this portrayed in the book? What does Mustafa do to fulfill this wanderlust? Where does he go? Why? What does he do there? Where does he finally end up? Is this the end of his wanderlust? Why do you think that? How is his wanderlust related to his disappearance? Compare or contrast Mustafa's wanderlust with what he wants for his sons. Use supporting evidence from the book. Relate this wanderlust to the narrator's perception of what happened to Mustafa.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)