|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With who did they banter back and forth about their sexual exploits at grandfather's house?
2. Who told the narrator about Wad's marriage plans?
3. What does the narrator talk about when he returns to the village he grew up in?
4. Which people occupied the Sudan in the past?
5. What is the name of the narrator's favorite tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can you tell that the village life seems unchanged to the narrator when he gets back after all those years?
2. What does Mustafa have to do with the topic of mixed marriages?
3. What do you know about Mustafa's family and how did that affect him?
4. What is being said about Western women during a conversation at the grandfather's house?
5. Which woman did Mustafa meet at a party in Chelsea and what happened to her?
6. Does Mustafa Sa'eed become an obsession for the narrator?
7. How do the narrator and Mustafa first meet and what do they learn about each other?
8. How did the narrator feel about being back in his old village after being gone for seven years?
9. What did the narrator do after Mustafa told him his story?
10. What did Mustafa's school career look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator does not finish the story of Mustafa Sa'eed. Why not? What is your interpretation? Were there indications throughout the book that Mustafa's story would not get finished? If so, give examples. How does the narrator's own story finish? What are your thoughts about the ending of the book?
Essay Topic 2
When the narrator returns to his Sudanese village, after an absence of seven years, everybody is happy about this event. How do you know this? How is the narrator's happiness to be back in the village expressed in the book? How do you know his family and friends are happy he is back? Describe their actions and feelings. Use evidence from the book. Give a few other examples of how happiness can be expressed in literature.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator and Mustafa are the main characters in "Season of Migration to the North." What do you know about Mustafa's appearance and character? How is that information brought to the reader? What do you know about the narrator? How are the two characters important to each other? Compare and contrast the characters of Mustafa and the narrator. How are they alike? What are their differences?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)