|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator talk about when he returns to the village he grew up in?
2. How does the narrator think Mustafa died?
3. What is left for the narrator when Mustafa disappeared?
4. Which gift does Mustafa bring the narrator when he visits his house?
5. What did Mustafa do as the first Sudanese?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can you relate the narrator to the Acacia tree?
2. What did Mustafa want for his sons?
3. Describe how the narrator left the village again after his conversations with Hosna and Mahjoub.
4. What does Mustafa have to do with the topic of mixed marriages?
5. Which woman did Mustafa meet at a party in Chelsea and what happened to her?
6. How does the narrator relate Jean Morris to Hosna?
7. What was left for the narrator after Mustafa disappears?
8. What did Mustafa's school career look like?
9. How did the narrator feel about being back in his old village after being gone for seven years?
10. Who met the narrator when he arrives by steamer, not too long after he had left, and what do they talk about?
Essay Topic 1
Mustafa's widow Hosna and Wad Reyyes become a part of each other's lives. Describe their history together and how this influences other people. How do they become involved? Why? What does Wad want? What does Hosna want? What happens to the two people? What is their dramatic end a result from? How do the villagers react to the events? How does the narrator feel about the events? How does Mahjoub feel about the event? How does this event change the relationship between the narrator and his friend Mahjoub? Why does the narrator feel he indirectly killed Hosna?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout "Season of Migration to the North", Europe and the Europeans come up in a lot of conversations. What is being said in the book about Europe? What is the villagers' idea about Europeans? Differentiate what the different characters think or say about Europeans. What is the narrator's response to everybody's thoughts about Europe? What is his experience about Europeans? How does all the information about Europeans in the book relate to your opinions or thoughts about Europe? How would the book have been different if the narrator had not lived in Europe?
Essay Topic 3
When Mustafa lives in London, he meets a woman at a party in Chelsea. Describe this episode in Mustafa's life. What do you know about this woman? What is her name? Who is she? What happens to her? How does this influence Mustafa's life? How is this woman related to other women in Mustafa's life? What is the result of this woman's fate for Mustafa?
This section contains 2,332 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)