|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many different women was Mustafa living with simultaneously when he was with Jean?
2. What does the narrator say about Western women?
3. Who did Wad want to marry?
4. What else does the man on the train talk to the narrator about?
5. What is the name of the narrator's favorite tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can you tell that the village life seems unchanged to the narrator when he gets back after all those years?
2. What does the narrator tell his family about the Europeans?
3. How was Mustafa treated during his time in Cairo?
4. What else, after the conversation about Western women, was being talked about in grandfather's house the same day?
5. What did the narrator do after Mustafa told him his story?
6. What do you know about the narrator's grandfather as a person?
7. What does the narrator tell you about the steamer that brings him to his old village?
8. What happened to Mustafa when he meets a man on horseback?
9. What happened on the train one day, when the narrator works at the Department of Education in Khartoum?
10. Which woman did Mustafa meet at a party in Chelsea and what happened to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The triangular room is mentioned throughout the book. What is this room? Why is it important? Whose room is it? What does the narrator have to do with this room? What happens to the room? What are the contents in this room? What does the narrator do in this room? What does he see and what is his reaction? What does he relate the pictures of the women to? How is Jean Morris' death related to Hosna's death? How does the narrator leave the room? Why is his being in the room important to the conclusion of the book?
Essay Topic 2
An important meeting takes place in the beginning of the book. During the narrator's absence in the village, a stranger by the name of Mustafa has arrived and settled. Describe how the narrator and Mustafa first meet. How do they get to know each other? How does their relationship evolve? Why is this evolving relationship important for the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
When Mustafa was a child, a man on horseback appeared. How does this event change Mustafa's life? How did he react to this man? What were the consequences? How did this man influence Mustafa? How was Mustafa different from the other children? Describe the meeting between the man on the horse and Mustafa and relate it to Mustafa's further childhood and adulthood.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)