|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator think Mustafa died?
2. What does the narrator's sister think about Western women?
3. What does the narrator tell his family about the Europeans?
4. How do the narrator and his grandfather feel about seeing each other?
5. What does the narrator hear about Mustafa during the conversation in the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the narrator learn on the way back to the village by donkey?
2. How did the narrator feel about being back in his old village after being gone for seven years?
3. What do you know about the legendary flooding of the Nile described in the book?
4. How does the narrator's knowledge of Mustafa conflict with that of his acquaintances from the University of Khartoum?
5. How can you tell that the village life seems unchanged to the narrator when he gets back after all those years?
6. How can you relate the narrator to the Acacia tree?
7. Which woman did Mustafa meet at a party in Chelsea and what happened to her?
8. Whose story did the narrator interrupt when arriving at his grandfather's house one day and what was the story about?
9. What does the narrator tell his family about the Europeans?
10. Who was the strange man in the village when the narrator gets back and how does he describe this man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator's grandfather plays an important role in the narrator's life. Explain their relationship and use examples from the different chapters. What do you know about the grandfather? Where does he live? How does his house look like? What kind of a person is he? What do he and the narrator talk about? How do you know he is important to the narrator? Relate this importance to the narrator's memories and his experiences when visiting his village.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator and Mustafa are the main characters in "Season of Migration to the North." What do you know about Mustafa's appearance and character? How is that information brought to the reader? What do you know about the narrator? How are the two characters important to each other? Compare and contrast the characters of Mustafa and the narrator. How are they alike? What are their differences?
Essay Topic 3
When the narrator returns to his Sudanese village, after an absence of seven years, everybody is happy about this event. How do you know this? How is the narrator's happiness to be back in the village expressed in the book? How do you know his family and friends are happy he is back? Describe their actions and feelings. Use evidence from the book. Give a few other examples of how happiness can be expressed in literature.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)