|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Sudanese independence?
2. What is the name of the narrator's favorite tree?
3. Which people occupied the Sudan in the past?
4. Why did Mustafa marry Jean?
5. What does the narrator hear about Mustafa during the conversation in the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the narrator and Mustafa first meet and what do they learn about each other?
2. What did Mustafa do after he was released from prison?
3. Does Mustafa Sa'eed become an obsession for the narrator?
4. Whose story did the narrator interrupt when arriving at his grandfather's house one day and what was the story about?
5. What does Mustafa have to do with the topic of mixed marriages?
6. How does the narrator's knowledge of Mustafa conflict with that of his acquaintances from the University of Khartoum?
7. How did the narrator feel about being back in his old village after being gone for seven years?
8. What happened to Mustafa when he meets a man on horseback?
9. What did the narrator do after Mustafa told him his story?
10. What do you know about Mustafa's family and how did that affect him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Mustafa was a child, a man on horseback appeared. How does this event change Mustafa's life? How did he react to this man? What were the consequences? How did this man influence Mustafa? How was Mustafa different from the other children? Describe the meeting between the man on the horse and Mustafa and relate it to Mustafa's further childhood and adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
When the narrator returns to his Sudanese village, after an absence of seven years, everybody is happy about this event. How do you know this? How is the narrator's happiness to be back in the village expressed in the book? How do you know his family and friends are happy he is back? Describe their actions and feelings. Use evidence from the book. Give a few other examples of how happiness can be expressed in literature.
Essay Topic 3
Agriculture is very important in an African village like the one the narrator grows up in. Why is this important? How do you know it is important? Who refers to it in the book and what is discussed? What is the Agricultural Project Committee and Co-operative? Who were important members of it? How do you relate Mahjoub's influence to this Committee? What does Mustafa have to do with the Committee? What do the Committee and the subject of agriculture have to do with Mahjoub and Mustafa's relationship? How does Mahjoub feel towards Mustafa? Why? Relate these two characters to the Agricultural Project Committee and Co'operative.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)