|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mustafa's last name?
2. How many months a year dioesthe narrator spend in the village he grew up in?
3. How many years did Mustafa stay in his first school before going abroad the first time?
4. What were tribal women that Western women are not?
5. Who did Wad want to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can you tell that the village life seems unchanged to the narrator when he gets back after all those years?
2. What did the narrator's companion on the train in Khartoum tell him about Mustafa and how did he react to this information?
3. How does the narrator's knowledge of Mustafa conflict with that of his acquaintances from the University of Khartoum?
4. Does Mustafa Sa'eed become an obsession for the narrator?
5. What do you know about Mustafa's family and how did that affect him?
6. What does Mustafa have to do with the topic of mixed marriages?
7. How do the narrator and Mustafa first meet and what do they learn about each other?
8. What did Mustafa want for his sons?
9. What does the narrator tell you about the steamer that brings him to his old village?
10. What do you know about the narrator's grandfather as a person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator does not finish the story of Mustafa Sa'eed. Why not? What is your interpretation? Were there indications throughout the book that Mustafa's story would not get finished? If so, give examples. How does the narrator's own story finish? What are your thoughts about the ending of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Agriculture is very important in an African village like the one the narrator grows up in. Why is this important? How do you know it is important? Who refers to it in the book and what is discussed? What is the Agricultural Project Committee and Co-operative? Who were important members of it? How do you relate Mahjoub's influence to this Committee? What does Mustafa have to do with the Committee? What do the Committee and the subject of agriculture have to do with Mahjoub and Mustafa's relationship? How does Mahjoub feel towards Mustafa? Why? Relate these two characters to the Agricultural Project Committee and Co'operative.
Essay Topic 3
Mustafa's widow and the narrator have a complicated relationship. How would you describe their relationship? Why is it complicated? Why are the complicated issues not resolved? How does this relation influence the life of both characters? How would you resolve a similar situation?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)