|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator miss most during his absence in the village?
2. Where did Mustafa go to school when he had to go abroad for the first time?
3. How many siblings does Mustafa have?
4. Whose voice did the narrator hear when he walked by his grandfather's house?
5. How long did it take Mustafa to learn to write?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mustafa Sa'eed become an obsession for the narrator?
2. What do you know about the narrator's grandfather as a person?
3. What is being said about Western women during a conversation at the grandfather's house?
4. Who was the strange man in the village when the narrator gets back and how does he describe this man?
5. What did the narrator learn on the way back to the village by donkey?
6. How was Mustafa treated during his time in Cairo?
7. What did Mustafa want for his sons?
8. What else, after the conversation about Western women, was being talked about in grandfather's house the same day?
9. How do the narrator and Mustafa first meet and what do they learn about each other?
10. What do you know about Mustafa's family and how did that affect him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Mustafa lives in London, he meets a woman at a party in Chelsea. Describe this episode in Mustafa's life. What do you know about this woman? What is her name? Who is she? What happens to her? How does this influence Mustafa's life? How is this woman related to other women in Mustafa's life? What is the result of this woman's fate for Mustafa?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator does not finish the story of Mustafa Sa'eed. Why not? What is your interpretation? Were there indications throughout the book that Mustafa's story would not get finished? If so, give examples. How does the narrator's own story finish? What are your thoughts about the ending of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In pages 45-60, an important event is talked about. Describe the event. What do you learn about the river? What's its name? How frequent does an event like this happen? Why is it called legendary? Why is the event important for the plot of the book? How do you relate this event to the character of Mustafa? How do you relate it to the character of the narrator? What do you think happened to Mustafa? Why?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)