|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has the narrator been gone before returning to his village in Africa?
2. What had instructions about what to do in the event of Mustafa's death?
3. What did Mustafa cause to other young women?
4. How many different women was Mustafa living with simultaneously when he was with Jean?
5. What was presumed about Mustafa by the group of people the narrator talks to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you know about the narrator's grandfather as a person?
2. How does the narrator's knowledge of Mustafa conflict with that of his acquaintances from the University of Khartoum?
3. Whose story did the narrator interrupt when arriving at his grandfather's house one day and what was the story about?
4. How can you tell that the village life seems unchanged to the narrator when he gets back after all those years?
5. What does the narrator tell you about the steamer that brings him to his old village?
6. What did the narrator's companion on the train in Khartoum tell him about Mustafa and how did he react to this information?
7. How can you relate the narrator to the Acacia tree?
8. What did the narrator do after Mustafa told him his story?
9. How did the narrator feel about being back in his old village after being gone for seven years?
10. What did Mustafa do after he was released from prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The triangular room is mentioned throughout the book. What is this room? Why is it important? Whose room is it? What does the narrator have to do with this room? What happens to the room? What are the contents in this room? What does the narrator do in this room? What does he see and what is his reaction? What does he relate the pictures of the women to? How is Jean Morris' death related to Hosna's death? How does the narrator leave the room? Why is his being in the room important to the conclusion of the book?
Essay Topic 2
When Mustafa lives in London, he meets a woman at a party in Chelsea. Describe this episode in Mustafa's life. What do you know about this woman? What is her name? Who is she? What happens to her? How does this influence Mustafa's life? How is this woman related to other women in Mustafa's life? What is the result of this woman's fate for Mustafa?
Essay Topic 3
In pages 45-60, an important event is talked about. Describe the event. What do you learn about the river? What's its name? How frequent does an event like this happen? Why is it called legendary? Why is the event important for the plot of the book? How do you relate this event to the character of Mustafa? How do you relate it to the character of the narrator? What do you think happened to Mustafa? Why?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)