|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did legendary flooding of the Nile occur?
2. How was Mustafa presented at his trial?
3. What is the name of the narrator's favorite tree?
4. Who did Bint Mazjoub tell stories of?
5. How did an influential man once appear before Mustafa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you know from the book that the Sudan is a hot country?
2. What does Mustafa have to do with the topic of mixed marriages?
3. How did the narrator feel about being back in his old village after being gone for seven years?
4. What did the narrator do with the triangular room, after he's finished there?
5. Which woman did Mustafa meet at a party in Chelsea and what happened to her?
6. What happened to Mustafa when he meets a man on horseback?
7. How do the narrator and Mustafa first meet and what do they learn about each other?
8. What do you know about the narrator's grandfather as a person?
9. Mahjoub and the narrator have a short conversation about Khartoum. What did they talk about? What did the narrator not talk about?
10. What did you learn about Mustafa's trial in the pages 19-44?
Essay Topic 1
On pages 105-115, the narrator and his driver make a car trip back to Khartoum. Describe this trip. Through the trip, what do you learn about the Sudan? What decisions does the narrator make on this trip? Are the events important for the plot of the book? Why or why not? Why do you think the author wrote this chapter in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Agriculture is very important in an African village like the one the narrator grows up in. Why is this important? How do you know it is important? Who refers to it in the book and what is discussed? What is the Agricultural Project Committee and Co-operative? Who were important members of it? How do you relate Mahjoub's influence to this Committee? What does Mustafa have to do with the Committee? What do the Committee and the subject of agriculture have to do with Mahjoub and Mustafa's relationship? How does Mahjoub feel towards Mustafa? Why? Relate these two characters to the Agricultural Project Committee and Co'operative.
Essay Topic 3
An important part in "Season of Migration to the North" is the difference between the Western and the African culture. While reading, you learn a lot about the African culture. Give a few examples from the book about African life. Think about the narrator's arrival and stay in the village to describe tribal life. How does the African culture differ from the American culture? Compare and contrast African and American life.
This section contains 2,394 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)