|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator tell his family about the Europeans?
2. What did Mustafa do when this influential man appeared?
3. What did the grandfather splurge on?
4. Who should be given the key to the triangular room eventually?
5. What were tribal women that Western women are not?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the narrator feel about being back in his old village after being gone for seven years?
2. What happened to Mustafa when he meets a man on horseback?
3. What had happened to Hosna and Wad while the narrator was away from the village?
4. What do you know about Mustafa's family and how did that affect him?
5. What did you learn about Mustafa's trial in the pages 19-44?
6. What happened when the narrator and his friend Mahjoub talk about the murders?
7. Who was the strange man in the village when the narrator gets back and how does he describe this man?
8. What did the narrator think about the people in the pictures?
9. How does the house of the narrator's grandfather look like?
10. How was Mustafa treated during his time in Cairo?
Essay Topic 1
The triangular room is mentioned throughout the book. What is this room? Why is it important? Whose room is it? What does the narrator have to do with this room? What happens to the room? What are the contents in this room? What does the narrator do in this room? What does he see and what is his reaction? What does he relate the pictures of the women to? How is Jean Morris' death related to Hosna's death? How does the narrator leave the room? Why is his being in the room important to the conclusion of the book?
Essay Topic 2
An important part in "Season of Migration to the North" is the difference between the Western and the African culture. While reading, you learn a lot about the African culture. Give a few examples from the book about African life. Think about the narrator's arrival and stay in the village to describe tribal life. How does the African culture differ from the American culture? Compare and contrast African and American life.
Essay Topic 3
Mustafa's widow and the narrator have a complicated relationship. How would you describe their relationship? Why is it complicated? Why are the complicated issues not resolved? How does this relation influence the life of both characters? How would you resolve a similar situation?
This section contains 2,433 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)