Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator talk about when he returns to the village he grew up in?
2. How does the narrator think Mustafa died?
3. What is left for the narrator when Mustafa disappeared?
4. Which gift does Mustafa bring the narrator when he visits his house?
5. What did Mustafa do as the first Sudanese?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can you relate the narrator to the Acacia tree?
2. What did Mustafa want for his sons?
3. Describe how the narrator left the village again after his conversations with Hosna and Mahjoub.
4. What does Mustafa have to do with the topic of mixed marriages?
5. Which woman did Mustafa meet at a party in Chelsea and what happened to her?
6. How does the narrator relate Jean Morris to Hosna?
7. What was left for the narrator after Mustafa disappears?
8. What did Mustafa's school career look like?
9. How did the narrator feel about being back in his old village after being gone for seven years?
10. Who met the narrator when he arrives by steamer, not too long after he had left, and what do they talk about?
Essay Topic 1
When Mustafa was a child, a man on horseback appeared. How does this event change Mustafa's life? How did he react to this man? What were the consequences? How did this man influence Mustafa? How was Mustafa different from the other children? Describe the meeting between the man on the horse and Mustafa and relate it to Mustafa's further childhood and adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
On page 61, in Chapter 4, the narrator says "But I would hope you will not entertain the idea, dear sirs, that Mustafa Sa'eed had become an obsession that was ever with me in my comings and goings. Sometimes months would pass without his crossing my mind. In any case, he had died, by drowning or by suicide - God alone knows". What does he mean with this statement? Do you agree with the narrator? Is he obsessed with Mustafa or not? Explain your answer with examples from the book and with your own interpretations.
Essay Topic 3
Mustafa's widow Hosna and Wad Reyyes become a part of each other's lives. Describe their history together and how this influences other people. How do they become involved? Why? What does Wad want? What does Hosna want? What happens to the two people? What is their dramatic end a result from? How do the villagers react to the events? How does the narrator feel about the events? How does Mahjoub feel about the event? How does this event change the relationship between the narrator and his friend Mahjoub? Why does the narrator feel he indirectly killed Hosna?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)