|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does the man on the train talk to the narrator about?
2. Where is Mustafa from?
3. What was the name of the college Mustafa went to in the Sudan?
4. What is stored in the strange triangular room of Mustafa's house?
5. What is the name of the strange man in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the narrator and Mustafa first meet and what do they learn about each other?
2. How can you tell that the village life seems unchanged to the narrator when he gets back after all those years?
3. What did Mustafa's school career look like?
4. What did the narrator's companion on the train in Khartoum tell him about Mustafa and how did he react to this information?
5. What does the narrator tell you about the steamer that brings him to his old village?
6. What happened to Mustafa when he meets a man on horseback?
7. What did Mustafa want for his sons?
8. What did the narrator do after Mustafa told him his story?
9. What happened on the train one day, when the narrator works at the Department of Education in Khartoum?
10. What do you know about the narrator's grandfather as a person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, a lot of people talk about Mustafa to the narrator. Summarize the information the narrator collects about Mustafa. Who does the narrator meet that talks to him about Mustafa? In which circumstances does this happen? What does the narrator learn about Mustafa? What is being said? How does he react to this information? What is said about Mustafa that is contradictory with the narrator's information? Who, of all these people with information, actually met Mustafa in person? Why do you think all these people talk about Mustafa and praise him? How do you think the narrator feels about this?
Essay Topic 2
Mustafa's widow Hosna and Wad Reyyes become a part of each other's lives. Describe their history together and how this influences other people. How do they become involved? Why? What does Wad want? What does Hosna want? What happens to the two people? What is their dramatic end a result from? How do the villagers react to the events? How does the narrator feel about the events? How does Mahjoub feel about the event? How does this event change the relationship between the narrator and his friend Mahjoub? Why does the narrator feel he indirectly killed Hosna?
Essay Topic 3
The triangular room is mentioned throughout the book. What is this room? Why is it important? Whose room is it? What does the narrator have to do with this room? What happens to the room? What are the contents in this room? What does the narrator do in this room? What does he see and what is his reaction? What does he relate the pictures of the women to? How is Jean Morris' death related to Hosna's death? How does the narrator leave the room? Why is his being in the room important to the conclusion of the book?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)