|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator not want Mustafa to become for him?
2. Who was Mustafa's only relative?
3. How do the narrator and his grandfather feel about seeing each other?
4. Who does the narrator visit a month after the conversation on the train?
5. What does the narrator hear about Mustafa during the conversation in the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mustafa Sa'eed become an obsession for the narrator?
2. What did Mustafa's school career look like?
3. What did the narrator learn on the way back to the village by donkey?
4. Which woman did Mustafa meet at a party in Chelsea and what happened to her?
5. How was Mustafa treated during his time in Cairo?
6. How does the narrator's knowledge of Mustafa conflict with that of his acquaintances from the University of Khartoum?
7. What did Mustafa do after he was released from prison?
8. Who was the strange man in the village when the narrator gets back and how does he describe this man?
9. What did you learn about Mustafa's trial in the pages 19-44?
10. What do you know about the legendary flooding of the Nile described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On page 61, in Chapter 4, the narrator says "But I would hope you will not entertain the idea, dear sirs, that Mustafa Sa'eed had become an obsession that was ever with me in my comings and goings. Sometimes months would pass without his crossing my mind. In any case, he had died, by drowning or by suicide - God alone knows". What does he mean with this statement? Do you agree with the narrator? Is he obsessed with Mustafa or not? Explain your answer with examples from the book and with your own interpretations.
Essay Topic 2
Mustafa's widow Hosna and Wad Reyyes become a part of each other's lives. Describe their history together and how this influences other people. How do they become involved? Why? What does Wad want? What does Hosna want? What happens to the two people? What is their dramatic end a result from? How do the villagers react to the events? How does the narrator feel about the events? How does Mahjoub feel about the event? How does this event change the relationship between the narrator and his friend Mahjoub? Why does the narrator feel he indirectly killed Hosna?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator and Mustafa are the main characters in "Season of Migration to the North." What do you know about Mustafa's appearance and character? How is that information brought to the reader? What do you know about the narrator? How are the two characters important to each other? Compare and contrast the characters of Mustafa and the narrator. How are they alike? What are their differences?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)