|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator talk about when he returns to the village he grew up in?
2. How does the narrator think Mustafa died?
3. What is left for the narrator when Mustafa disappeared?
4. Which gift does Mustafa bring the narrator when he visits his house?
5. What did Mustafa do as the first Sudanese?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can you relate the narrator to the Acacia tree?
2. What did Mustafa want for his sons?
3. Describe how the narrator left the village again after his conversations with Hosna and Mahjoub.
4. What does Mustafa have to do with the topic of mixed marriages?
5. Which woman did Mustafa meet at a party in Chelsea and what happened to her?
6. How does the narrator relate Jean Morris to Hosna?
7. What was left for the narrator after Mustafa disappears?
8. What did Mustafa's school career look like?
9. How did the narrator feel about being back in his old village after being gone for seven years?
10. Who met the narrator when he arrives by steamer, not too long after he had left, and what do they talk about?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout "Season of Migration to the North", Europe and the Europeans come up in a lot of conversations. What is being said in the book about Europe? What is the villagers' idea about Europeans? Differentiate what the different characters think or say about Europeans. What is the narrator's response to everybody's thoughts about Europe? What is his experience about Europeans? How does all the information about Europeans in the book relate to your opinions or thoughts about Europe? How would the book have been different if the narrator had not lived in Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Agriculture is very important in an African village like the one the narrator grows up in. Why is this important? How do you know it is important? Who refers to it in the book and what is discussed? What is the Agricultural Project Committee and Co-operative? Who were important members of it? How do you relate Mahjoub's influence to this Committee? What does Mustafa have to do with the Committee? What do the Committee and the subject of agriculture have to do with Mahjoub and Mustafa's relationship? How does Mahjoub feel towards Mustafa? Why? Relate these two characters to the Agricultural Project Committee and Co'operative.
Essay Topic 3
Mustafa's widow and the narrator have a complicated relationship. How would you describe their relationship? Why is it complicated? Why are the complicated issues not resolved? How does this relation influence the life of both characters? How would you resolve a similar situation?
This section contains 2,332 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)