|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mustafa do when this influential man appeared?
2. How often did the steamer come to the narrator's childhood village?
3. Where is Mustafa from?
4. How did Mustafa feel when he grew up?
5. When did legendary flooding of the Nile occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What else, after the conversation about Western women, was being talked about in grandfather's house the same day?
2. How was Mustafa treated during his time in Cairo?
3. What do you know about the legendary flooding of the Nile described in the book?
4. How can you relate the narrator to the Acacia tree?
5. How does the narrator's knowledge of Mustafa conflict with that of his acquaintances from the University of Khartoum?
6. What did you learn about Mustafa's trial in the pages 19-44?
7. What happened on the train one day, when the narrator works at the Department of Education in Khartoum?
8. What did the narrator do after Mustafa told him his story?
9. Does Mustafa Sa'eed become an obsession for the narrator?
10. How do the narrator and Mustafa first meet and what do they learn about each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Mustafa was a child, a man on horseback appeared. How does this event change Mustafa's life? How did he react to this man? What were the consequences? How did this man influence Mustafa? How was Mustafa different from the other children? Describe the meeting between the man on the horse and Mustafa and relate it to Mustafa's further childhood and adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
In pages 45-60, an important event is talked about. Describe the event. What do you learn about the river? What's its name? How frequent does an event like this happen? Why is it called legendary? Why is the event important for the plot of the book? How do you relate this event to the character of Mustafa? How do you relate it to the character of the narrator? What do you think happened to Mustafa? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator and Mustafa are the main characters in "Season of Migration to the North." What do you know about Mustafa's appearance and character? How is that information brought to the reader? What do you know about the narrator? How are the two characters important to each other? Compare and contrast the characters of Mustafa and the narrator. How are they alike? What are their differences?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)