|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the narrator want to go when in the water?
(b) The Southern shore.
(c) The Northern shore.
(d) To Europe.
2. What did the narrator regret not having done?
(a) Talking to his grandfather.
(b) Taking the boys.
(c) Marrying Hosna.
(d) Going in Mustafa's special room.
3. What did Hosna think about getting married again?
(a) She only wanted to get married with a rich guy.
(b) She would like to get married again.
(c) She wanted to get married, but not with Wad.
(d) She didn't want another man after Mustafa.
4. How far did the narrator get before he couldn't go any further?
(a) Two thirds of the way.
(b) Almost there.
(c) Half way across.
(d) A third of the way.
5. What would Hosna not do to Wad for two weeks after the wedding?
(d) Cook dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the narrator talk to when Mahmoud and Sa'eed left?
2. Why could Mahjoub not question the conference delegate?
3. What was written in a notebook the narrator found in the triangular room?
4. What did the narrator wonder after hearing about the tragedy in his village?
5. Why did the narrator and his driver stop by a government car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the narrator and Mahjoub talking about when they were in a drunken state before he leaves the village?
2. Who did the narrator and his driver run into during the car trip and what happens?
3. Describe how the narrator left the village again after his conversations with Hosna and Mahjoub.
4. How does the narrator relate Jean Morris to Hosna?
5. Soon after leaving the village, the narrator has to go back. Why?
6. How did the busy day of driving end for the narrator and his driver?
7. What did the narrator think about the people in the pictures?
8. Who met the narrator when he arrives by steamer, not too long after he had left, and what do they talk about?
9. What had happened to Hosna and Wad while the narrator was away from the village?
10. The narrator never finished his story about Mustafa. How would you end this story?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)