|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the narrator and his driver stop by a government car?
(a) Because they were too hot.
(b) Because the occupants requested them to stop.
(c) Because it was on fire.
(d) Because it was disabled.
2. What did Mustafa have in Khartoum?
(a) Another child.
(b) A business.
(c) A fancy car.
(d) A testament.
3. Where did the two cars go after their occupants met?
(a) To Europe.
(b) The same way.
(c) No where.
(d) Seperate ways.
4. Where did the narrator fight his way to at the end of the book?
(a) To the bottom.
(b) To the surface.
(c) To the other side.
5. Why did Hosna think Mustafa knew he was going to be gone?
(a) He wrote her a letter about it.
(b) He told her about it.
(c) He put his affairs in order.
(d) He mentioned this to his children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asked for a cigarette when the narrator and his driver are out in the hot sun?
2. How did the narrator describe Mustafa while in the room?
3. What did the narrator and his friend Mahjoub banter about being in Mustafa's special room?
4. What did Hosna do when she thought about Mustafa?
5. Why did the narrator feel he lost the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. In pages 134-165, the narrator wonders what has happened to his world. Explain this feeling.
2. The narrator never finished his story about Mustafa. How would you end this story?
3. During the car trip, the narrator decided to write somebody. Who did he want to write and why?
4. What did the narrator think about the people in the pictures?
5. How does the narrator relate Jean Morris to Hosna?
6. How does the book end?
7. Mahjoub and the narrator have a short conversation about Khartoum. What did they talk about? What did the narrator not talk about?
8. Describe how the narrator left the village again after his conversations with Hosna and Mahjoub.
9. Who are Mustafa's children and what is the narrator's relationship with them?
10. Who met the narrator when he arrives by steamer, not too long after he had left, and what do they talk about?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)