|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did it take Mustafa to learn to write?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two days.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Two months.
2. Who is the narrator guardian of?
(a) Wad's children.
(b) Wad's sister.
(c) Mustafa's wife.
(d) Mustafa's children.
3. Where did Mustafa go to school when he had to go abroad for the first time?
4. How many years after Mustafa's death did the narrator go to work at the Department of Education in Khartoum?
(a) Three years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
5. How did Mustafa feel when he grew up?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's sister think about Western women?
2. How does the narrator know about the legendary flooding of the Nile?
3. What is the name of the river that runs through the village?
4. What else does the man on the train talk to the narrator about?
5. Who invited the narrator to lunch as the group left grandfather's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you know about the legendary flooding of the Nile described in the book?
2. What do you know about Mustafa's family and how did that affect him?
3. How can you relate the narrator to the Acacia tree?
4. What does the narrator tell you about the steamer that brings him to his old village?
5. How do the narrator and Mustafa first meet and what do they learn about each other?
6. Who was the strange man in the village when the narrator gets back and how does he describe this man?
7. How does the house of the narrator's grandfather look like?
8. What else, after the conversation about Western women, was being talked about in grandfather's house the same day?
9. How can you tell that the village life seems unchanged to the narrator when he gets back after all those years?
10. What did Mustafa do after he was released from prison?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)