|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mustafa do when this influential man appeared?
(a) Offer him tea.
(b) Run away.
(c) Hide somewhere.
(d) Talk to him.
2. What does the narrator invite Mustafa to after their introduction?
(a) To cookies.
(b) To tea.
(c) To juice.
(d) To coffee.
3. Why did Mustafa marry Jean?
(a) Because she wanted children.
(b) Because he loved her very much.
(c) Because he wanted her money.
(d) Because she wanted to get married.
4. When did Mustafa travel around Europe, the Orient and India?
(a) After he killed one of his wives.
(b) After he was released from prison.
(c) After he finished school.
(d) After he lost his mother.
5. How does the narrator think Mustafa died?
(a) By drowning or suicide.
(b) By disease or suicide.
(c) By drowning or disease.
(d) By disease or suffocation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Western women called in the stories at grandfather's house?
2. How long did it take Mustafa to learn to write?
3. What is the house of the narrator's grandfather made of?
4. How many years did Mustafa stay in his first school before going abroad the first time?
5. What does the narrator tell his family about the Europeans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did grandfather tell the narrator about Wad Rayyes?
2. What were all the things that are tangled up, according to the narrator?
3. What did the narrator think about the people in the pictures?
4. What had happened to Hosna and Wad while the narrator was away from the village?
5. Whose story did the narrator interrupt when arriving at his grandfather's house one day and what was the story about?
6. How does the book end?
7. What did Mustafa's school career look like?
8. What happened when the narrator and his friend Mahjoub talk about the murders?
9. What do you know about the legendary flooding of the Nile described in the book?
10. Where did the narrator go after leaving Mustafa's house and what happened there?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)