|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the public prosecutor at Mustafa's trial?
(a) One of his friends from Cairo.
(b) One of his teachers at Cairo.
(c) One of his teachers at Oxford.
(d) One of his friends from Oxford.
2. Where did Mustafa meet Jean Morris?
(a) In Khartoum.
(b) In Dublin.
(c) In Cairo.
(d) In Chelsea.
3. How do the narrator and his grandfather feel about seeing each other?
(b) Overly excited.
4. What is the narrator's response to the presumption about Mustafa?
(a) That he's dead.
(b) That he was an intelligent professor.
(c) That he was happily married.
(d) That he was a millionaire.
5. What does the narrator tell his family about the Europeans?
(a) That they have the same customs and traditions.
(b) That they are just like the people in his village are.
(c) That they are very different from the people in his village.
(d) That they are much smarter than the people in his village.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the river that runs through the village?
2. Who did the villagers blame for not getting the project they worked on finished?
3. How many years after Mustafa's death did the narrator go to work at the Department of Education in Khartoum?
4. What did the grandfather splurge on?
5. How many months a year dioesthe narrator spend in the village he grew up in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is being said about Western women during a conversation at the grandfather's house?
2. What was left for the narrator after Mustafa disappears?
3. What does the narrator tell his family about the Europeans?
4. How do the narrator and Mustafa first meet and what do they learn about each other?
5. How can you tell that the village life seems unchanged to the narrator when he gets back after all those years?
6. What does the narrator tell you about the steamer that brings him to his old village?
7. What did the narrator learn on the way back to the village by donkey?
8. What do you know about Mustafa's family and how did that affect him?
9. Which woman did Mustafa meet at a party in Chelsea and what happened to her?
10. What else, after the conversation about Western women, was being talked about in grandfather's house the same day?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)