|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jean Morris end her life?
(a) She gassed herself.
(b) She shot herself.
(c) She took a fatal dose of medicines.
(d) She hung herself.
2. Who should be given the key to the triangular room eventually?
(a) Mustafa's mother.
(b) Mustafa's wife.
(c) The narrator.
(d) Mustafa's sons.
3. How many months a year dioesthe narrator spend in the village he grew up in?
4. How did an influential man once appear before Mustafa?
(a) In a car.
(b) On horseback.
(c) On a bike.
(d) On a mule.
5. Who did Bint Mazjoub tell stories of?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her husbands.
(c) Her siblings.
(d) Her friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was presumed about Mustafa during the big flooding?
2. How long did it take Mustafa to learn to write?
3. Where did the narrator stay during his absence in the village?
4. What does the narrator talk about when he returns to the village he grew up in?
5. What did the grandfather splurge on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mustafa have to do with the topic of mixed marriages?
2. How do the narrator and Mustafa first meet and what do they learn about each other?
3. What does the narrator tell you about the steamer that brings him to his old village?
4. What did grandfather tell the narrator about Wad Rayyes?
5. What do you know about the legendary flooding of the Nile described in the book?
6. How was Mustafa treated during his time in Cairo?
7. What else, after the conversation about Western women, was being talked about in grandfather's house the same day?
8. What was left for the narrator after Mustafa disappears?
9. What does the narrator tell his family about the Europeans?
10. Whose story did the narrator interrupt when arriving at his grandfather's house one day and what was the story about?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)