|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invited the narrator to lunch as the group left grandfather's house?
(a) Wad Rayyes.
(b) Wad Prayers.
(c) Mustafa Sa'eed.
(d) Bint Mazjoub.
2. How does the narrator travel back to the village from the steamer?
(a) By camel.
(b) By horse.
(c) By donkey.
(d) By foot.
3. What does the narrator not want Mustafa to become for him?
(a) An example.
(b) An obsession.
(c) A vague memory.
(d) A hero.
4. What did the narrator do after leaving Mustafa's house the night Mustafa told his story?
(a) He goes for a swim.
(b) He goes home.
(c) He visits his grandfather.
(d) He wanders around.
5. What does the narrator talk about when he returns to the village he grew up in?
(a) The steamer that travels on the Nile.
(b) His new love affair.
(c) A donkey.
Short Answer Questions
1. With who did they banter back and forth about their sexual exploits at grandfather's house?
2. What were tribal women that Western women are not?
3. Who does the narrator talk to one day when taking the train?
4. How many different women was Mustafa living with simultaneously when he was with Jean?
5. How long did it take Mustafa to learn to write?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on the train one day, when the narrator works at the Department of Education in Khartoum?
2. How can you tell that the village life seems unchanged to the narrator when he gets back after all those years?
3. What did grandfather tell the narrator about Wad Rayyes?
4. Does Mustafa Sa'eed become an obsession for the narrator?
5. How was Mustafa treated during his time in Cairo?
6. How can you relate the narrator to the Acacia tree?
7. What was left for the narrator after Mustafa disappears?
8. Who was the strange man in the village when the narrator gets back and how does he describe this man?
9. How does the house of the narrator's grandfather look like?
10. What did the narrator learn on the way back to the village by donkey?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)