|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what has the narrator earned a doctorate?
2. What does the narrator do when he hears the story about Mustafa in the train?
(a) He smiles.
(b) He says he knew Mustafa as well.
(c) He listens.
(d) He says he doesn't know who Mustafa is.
3. Where did Mustafa first see Isabella Seymour?
(a) At school.
(b) At a park.
(c) At a store.
(d) In a bar.
4. What did Mustafa cause to other young women?
(a) Love of life.
5. How does the narrator think Mustafa died?
(a) By drowning or suicide.
(b) By disease or suffocation.
(c) By disease or suicide.
(d) By drowning or disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jean Morris end her life?
2. Which gift does Mustafa bring the narrator when he visits his house?
3. What is the house of the narrator's grandfather made of?
4. What had instructions about what to do in the event of Mustafa's death?
5. What did Mustafa do as the first Sudanese?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you know about Mustafa's family and how did that affect him?
2. What is being said about Western women during a conversation at the grandfather's house?
3. Give your opinion about the book and its two main characters.
4. What does the narrator tell you about the steamer that brings him to his old village?
5. Soon after leaving the village, the narrator has to go back. Why?
6. What do you know about the character Mahjoub?
7. Does Mustafa Sa'eed become an obsession for the narrator?
8. What does the narrator tell his family about the Europeans?
9. What did the narrator find in the triangular room and what did he do while in there?
10. What did the narrator learn on the way back to the village by donkey?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)