|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which people occupied the Sudan in the past?
(a) The Spanish.
(b) The Americans.
(c) The English.
(d) The French.
2. How did an influential man once appear before Mustafa?
(a) On horseback.
(b) On a mule.
(c) On a bike.
(d) In a car.
3. Who did Bint Mazjoub tell stories of?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her friends.
(c) Her siblings.
(d) Her husbands.
4. What did the villagers begin to build at one point?
(a) An army.
(b) A hospital.
(c) A supermarket.
(d) A school.
5. What was presumed about Mustafa by the group of people the narrator talks to?
(a) That he was dead.
(b) That he was an intelligent professor.
(c) That he was a millionaire.
(d) That he was happily married.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator visit a month after the conversation on the train?
2. How many siblings does Mustafa have?
3. What did the grandfather splurge on?
4. How does the narrator know about the legendary flooding of the Nile?
5. Where did Mustafa meet Jean Morris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the narrator and Mustafa first meet and what do they learn about each other?
2. In pages 134-165, the narrator wonders what has happened to his world. Explain this feeling.
3. What did the narrator do with Mustafa and Hosna?
4. What did Mustafa's school career look like?
5. What do you know about the legendary flooding of the Nile described in the book?
6. How was Mustafa treated during his time in Cairo?
7. What did the narrator tell Hosna about marriage and how did she react to this?
8. What was left for the narrator after Mustafa disappears?
9. What else, after the conversation about Western women, was being talked about in grandfather's house the same day?
10. How do you know from the book that the Sudan is a hot country?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)