|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has the narrator been gone before returning to his village in Africa?
(a) Six years
(b) Five years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Eight years.
2. Who does the narrator visit a month after the conversation on the train?
(a) Some people from the Department of Agriculture.
(b) Some people from the University in Cairo.
(c) Some people from the University in Khartoum.
(d) Some people from the Department of Education.
3. What is the narrator's response to the presumption about Mustafa?
(a) That he was happily married.
(b) That he's dead.
(c) That he was an intelligent professor.
(d) That he was a millionaire.
4. What was the narrator's promise to Mustafa?
(a) Not to take care of his sons.
(b) Not to talk about his mother.
(c) Not to talk about him.
(d) Not to go into the triangular room.
5. Why did Mustafa marry Jean?
(a) Because she wanted to get married.
(b) Because he loved her very much.
(c) Because he wanted her money.
(d) Because she wanted children.
6. How many different women was Mustafa living with simultaneously when he was with Jean?
7. How many days following their introduction do the narrator and Mustafa have dinner?
(a) In four days.
(b) In two days.
(c) The next day.
(d) In ten days.
8. Where did the narrator stay during his absence in the village?
9. What were Western women called in the stories at grandfather's house?
(a) Infidel women.
(b) Smart women.
(c) Ugly women.
(d) Pretty women.
10. With who did they banter back and forth about their sexual exploits at grandfather's house?
(a) With the old women.
(b) With the neighbors.
(c) With the village leaders.
(d) With the old men.
11. What does the narrator hear about Mustafa during the conversation in the train?
(a) That he was a brilliant teacher.
(b) That he killed many women.
(c) That he was the most brilliant student.
(d) That he was a fair student.
12. What does the narrator's father do when he has tea with his family again?
(a) He tells a few stories.
(b) He recites verses from the Koran.
(c) He eats cake.
(d) He recites verses from the Bible.
13. What did Mustafa cause to other young women?
(c) Love of life.
14. What does the narrator's sister think about Western women?
(a) That they are not as attractive as their tribal women.
(b) That they are not as knowledgeable as their tribal women.
(c) That they are not as stupid as their tribal women.
(d) That they are not as healthy as their tribal women.
15. What does the narrator not want Mustafa to become for him?
(a) A hero.
(b) An obsession.
(c) An example.
(d) A vague memory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion did they talk about at the grandfather's house?
2. Who was the public prosecutor at Mustafa's trial?
3. What happened to Mustafa during the big flooding?
4. When was the last time Mustafa saw his mother?
5. How did Mustafa feel when he grew up?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)