|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the narrator's promise to Mustafa?
(a) Not to go into the triangular room.
(b) Not to talk about him.
(c) Not to talk about his mother.
(d) Not to take care of his sons.
2. How does the narrator know about the legendary flooding of the Nile?
(a) Mustafa told him.
(b) His father told him.
(c) His mother told him.
(d) He read about it.
3. When did Mustafa travel around Europe, the Orient and India?
(a) After he was released from prison.
(b) After he killed one of his wives.
(c) After he lost his mother.
(d) After he finished school.
4. How does the narrator travel back to the village from the steamer?
(a) By horse.
(b) By donkey.
(c) By foot.
(d) By camel.
5. Who invited the narrator to lunch as the group left grandfather's house?
(a) Wad Prayers.
(b) Mustafa Sa'eed.
(c) Wad Rayyes.
(d) Bint Mazjoub.
6. Who does the narrator visit a month after the conversation on the train?
(a) Some people from the Department of Agriculture.
(b) Some people from the Department of Education.
(c) Some people from the University in Khartoum.
(d) Some people from the University in Cairo.
7. What does the narrator tell his family about the Europeans?
(a) That they are very different from the people in his village.
(b) That they are just like the people in his village are.
(c) That they have the same customs and traditions.
(d) That they are much smarter than the people in his village.
8. What were tribal women that Western women are not?
9. Who did the villagers blame for not getting the project they worked on finished?
(a) The government.
(b) The guerilla.
(c) The neighboring country.
(d) The enemy.
10. What does the subject turn to during the narrator's visit to the group of people, a month after the train conversation?
(b) Mixed marriages.
(d) Mixed drinks.
11. What did the villagers begin to build at one point?
(a) A supermarket.
(b) An army.
(c) A school.
(d) A hospital.
12. Why did Mustafa decide to stay in the village after leaving the place he was from?
(a) Because he falls in love with a woman.
(b) Because he gets offered a job.
(c) Because he likes it.
(d) Because he meets the narrator.
13. What did this influential man do to Mustafa?
(a) He gave him a gift.
(b) He offered him tea.
(c) He took him to school.
(d) He beat him.
14. What does the narrator not want Mustafa to become for him?
(a) An obsession.
(b) An example.
(c) A hero.
(d) A vague memory.
15. What is the name of the narrator's favorite tree?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mustafa go to school when he had to go abroad for the first time?
2. Where did Mustafa first see Isabella Seymour?
3. What happened to Mustafa during the big flooding?
4. What is left for the narrator when Mustafa disappeared?
5. Whose voice did the narrator hear when he walked by his grandfather's house?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)