|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator remember when he sees his favorite tree?
(a) His father.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His brother.
2. What did the narrator miss most during his absence in the village?
(b) The food.
(c) The climate.
(d) The closeness of tribal life.
3. How many months a year dioesthe narrator spend in the village he grew up in?
4. When did Mustafa travel around Europe, the Orient and India?
(a) After he finished school.
(b) After he killed one of his wives.
(c) After he lost his mother.
(d) After he was released from prison.
5. When did legendary flooding of the Nile occur?
(a) Every 40 or 50 years.
(b) Every 20 or 30 years.
(d) Every 100 years.
6. How does the narrator think Mustafa died?
(a) By disease or suicide.
(b) By drowning or suicide.
(c) By disease or suffocation.
(d) By drowning or disease.
7. Who is Sa'eed?
(a) Mustafa's helper.
(b) The mechanic.
(c) The shopkeeper.
(d) Mustafa's brother.
8. How do the narrator and his grandfather feel about seeing each other?
(d) Overly excited.
9. Which people occupied the Sudan in the past?
(a) The English.
(b) The French.
(c) The Americans.
(d) The Spanish.
10. What else does the man on the train talk to the narrator about?
(a) The narrator's career.
(b) His career with the government.
(c) His career with the army.
(d) The weather.
11. Who was Mustafa's only relative?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His brother.
12. Who invited the narrator to lunch as the group left grandfather's house?
(a) Wad Prayers.
(b) Mustafa Sa'eed.
(c) Wad Rayyes.
(d) Bint Mazjoub.
13. How many different women was Mustafa living with simultaneously when he was with Jean?
14. What is stored in the strange triangular room of Mustafa's house?
(a) A key and a message.
(b) A testament.
(c) Papers and diaries.
15. Who should be given the key to the triangular room eventually?
(a) Mustafa's mother.
(b) Mustafa's wife.
(c) The narrator.
(d) Mustafa's sons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who waits for the narrator each time he arrived back in his childhood village?
2. What did the villagers begin to build at one point?
3. What does the narrator say about Western women?
4. What does the subject turn to during the narrator's visit to the group of people, a month after the train conversation?
5. Who does the narrator visit a month after the conversation on the train?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)