|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Wad want to marry?
(a) Bint Mazjoub.
(b) The narrator's mother.
(c) The widow of Mustafa Sa'eed.
(d) The wife of the narrator.
2. What is the house of the narrator's grandfather made of?
(b) Palm leaves.
3. When was the Sudanese independence?
4. What did this influential man do to Mustafa?
(a) He beat him.
(b) He gave him a gift.
(c) He offered him tea.
(d) He took him to school.
5. What were tribal women that Western women are not?
6. Why did Mustafa marry Jean?
(a) Because she wanted to get married.
(b) Because he loved her very much.
(c) Because she wanted children.
(d) Because he wanted her money.
7. How long has the narrator been gone before returning to his village in Africa?
(a) Five years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Six years
(d) Eight years.
8. What is the name of the river that runs through the village?
9. What is the name of the narrator's favorite tree?
10. How many years did Mustafa stay in his first school before going abroad the first time?
(a) Four months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Three years.
11. How does the narrator travel back to the village from the steamer?
(a) By foot.
(b) By horse.
(c) By donkey.
(d) By camel.
12. When was the last time Mustafa saw his mother?
(a) Before he went to school abroad.
(b) After he went to school abroad.
(c) When he got married.
(d) While he was at school abroad.
13. What kind of life did the grandfather live?
(a) A comfortable life.
(b) An acetic life.
(c) A tiring life.
(d) A rich life.
14. How was Mustafa presented at his trial?
(a) As a young murderer.
(b) As a young genius.
(c) As an unintelligent student.
(d) As a suicidal man.
15. What did Mustafa do as the first Sudanese?
(a) Marry a French woman.
(b) Marry an Egyptian woman.
(c) Marry an English woman.
(d) Marry only one woman at a time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mustafa first see Isabella Seymour?
2. How often did the steamer come to the narrator's childhood village?
3. Who is Sa'eed?
4. How many years after Mustafa's death did the narrator go to work at the Department of Education in Khartoum?
5. What was presumed about Mustafa by the group of people the narrator talks to?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)