|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the strange man in the village the narrator is curious about?
(a) Around 70.
(b) Around 50.
(c) Around 60.
(d) Around 40.
2. What religion did they talk about at the grandfather's house?
3. How wass the grandfather's house built?
4. Who joins the narrator when he is drinking with Mahjoub one day?
5. Who is Sa'eed?
(a) Mustafa's helper.
(b) The mechanic.
(c) The shopkeeper.
(d) Mustafa's brother.
6. When was the Sudanese independence?
7. Who should be given the key to the triangular room eventually?
(a) Mustafa's sons.
(b) Mustafa's wife.
(c) Mustafa's mother.
(d) The narrator.
8. What was presumed about Mustafa by the group of people the narrator talks to?
(a) That he was a millionaire.
(b) That he was an intelligent professor.
(c) That he was dead.
(d) That he was happily married.
9. What did Mustafa cause to other young women?
(b) Love of life.
10. How long did it take Mustafa to learn to write?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
11. When were rooms added to the grandfather's house?
(a) When other rooms were destroyed.
(b) Only when extra money was available.
(c) When needed or when extra money was available.
(d) Only when needed.
12. Where did Mustafa meet Jean Morris?
(a) In Cairo.
(b) In Chelsea.
(c) In Khartoum.
(d) In Dublin.
13. How does the narrator think Mustafa died?
(a) By disease or suicide.
(b) By drowning or suicide.
(c) By disease or suffocation.
(d) By drowning or disease.
14. Why did Mustafa decide to stay in the village after leaving the place he was from?
(a) Because he likes it.
(b) Because he meets the narrator.
(c) Because he gets offered a job.
(d) Because he falls in love with a woman.
15. What does the narrator tell his family about the Europeans?
(a) That they are just like the people in his village are.
(b) That they are much smarter than the people in his village.
(c) That they are very different from the people in his village.
(d) That they have the same customs and traditions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mustafa marry Jean?
2. How does the narrator know about the legendary flooding of the Nile?
3. What was the name of the college Mustafa went to in the Sudan?
4. What is the name of the narrator's favorite tree?
5. What is the house of the narrator's grandfather made of?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)