|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main historical event the author has illustrated in the play?
2. How does Charlie respond to accusations of infidelity?
3. How does Charlie feel about the sound that interrupts the couple?
4. What was the woman's main role before the 1970s?
5. What can Charlie's indifference to Nancy's needs can be viewed as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first time Nancy feels fear of the sea creatures.
2. How do Nancy and Charlie react to the sound of a jet overhead interrupting their conversation?
3. Describe Nancy's attitude towards Charlie's retirement desire.
4. How does Nancy react to her husbands question of Sarah?
5. Where would Charlie like to spend his retirement?
6. What do Nancy and Charlie each think of the approaching lizards?
7. How does Charlie react when Nancy brings up his living underwater dream for the second time?
8. What does Charlie immediately blame the existence of the lizards on?
9. Desperate to get a reaction from her husband about anything, what subject does Nancy bring up and why?
10. How does Leslie describe his pairing with Sarah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Leslie and Charlie.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characteristics of Charlie and Nancy's marriage that create the most tension. How is that tension symbolic of evolution?
Essay Topic 3
What are the human needs of Nancy that are not being met? How are these needs communicated to Charlie? Describe how Charlie helps or does not help Nancy in her evolution.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)