|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Charlie's intention to be hurtful towards his wife?
2. What human element do the jets overhead exemplify?
3. What was Charlie testing when he let himself sink down to the bottom of the lake?
4. What is Charlie in the mood for after lunch?
5. What is the best way to describe the gesture that Nancy and Charlie are exhibiting for the creatures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlie immediately blame the existence of the lizards on?
2. Describe the act of shaking hands between the lizards and the humans.
3. How does Nancy's tone regarding Charlie's role as a husband and father affect him?
4. What is the difference between what Charlie is in the mood for and what Nancy is in the mood for after lunch?
5. As a jet flies overhead and distracts the couple, what does Nancy steer the conversation back to and remind Charlie of?
6. How do the lizards respond to Charlie's discussion of the theory of evolution?
7. How does Charlie react when Nancy brings up his living underwater dream for the second time?
8. Desperate to get a reaction from her husband about anything, what subject does Nancy bring up and why?
9. How does Nancy respond when Charlie mentions the concept of machines to the lizards and speaks of machines that go underwater?
10. What do Charlie and Nancy hope their submissive gesture will do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the human needs of Nancy that are not being met? How are these needs communicated to Charlie? Describe how Charlie helps or does not help Nancy in her evolution.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why the setting of the beach is symbolic.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the gender-based communication skills of Charlie and Nancy with the lizards.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)