|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nancy feel about Charlie's blase attitude?
2. What does Nancy and Charlie hope their act will communicate to the lizards as they approach?
3. What attribute of Charlie is affected by lying on his back in submission?
4. How does Nancy describe her husband at the end of Act 1 while in submission to the lizards?
5. How does Nancy feel when she sees the creatures?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlie react when Nancy brings up his living underwater dream for the second time?
2. How does Charlie try to defend himself and his wife against the sea creatures?
3. How does Leslie react to Charlie's question of Sarah?
4. How does Nancy react to her husband's raving and blaming of why the lizards have appeared?
5. What happens when Leslie cannot concede complete loyalty to Sarah?
6. What is Charlie's plan of defense against the lizards?
7. What does Nancy not understand about her husband's retirement plan?
8. How does Nancy's tone regarding Charlie's role as a husband and father affect him?
9. Explain how the lizards agree to stay on land and not return to the sea?
10. How are Charlie and Nancy arranged on the beach to show submission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the characters depict the concept of evolution. Use textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the elements of the setting (the jets, the ocean) parallel evolution.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the role of Nancy is a mirror to the Women's Liberation Movement of the 1970s.
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)