|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Nancy bring up at the desperate attempt to get a reaction out of her husband?
2. What is the theme of Act 1?
3. What does Nancy want to plan with Charlie?
4. Where does the setting open in Act 1?
5. How does Nancy feel when the lizards reappear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the opening setting of Act 1.
2. Desperate to get a reaction from her husband about anything, what subject does Nancy bring up and why?
3. Describe how the humans communicate effectively with the lizards.
4. What will happen if Charlie is unwilling to go along with Nancy's retirement dreams?
5. How does Nancy react to her husbands question of Sarah?
6. What does Charlie immediately blame the existence of the lizards on?
7. Describe what happens during and as a result of the lizards approaching?
8. What would Charlie like to do during retirement as opposed to Nancy?
9. What do Charlie and Nancy hope their submissive gesture will do?
10. What does Charlie ask Sarah at the end of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the theme of Act 1. Use textual references.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Nancy and Sarah.
Essay Topic 3
How is the idea of "progress" portrayed in the play? Refer to specific scenes to support your answer.
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)