|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Nancy suspect Charlie of having an affair?
(b) After their 1st year of marriage
(c) After 10 years of marriage
(d) After 20 years of marriage
2. How can the state of Charlie and Nancy's marriage be best described?
3. What does the sound of the jet make the lizards do?
(a) The sound sends them back behind the rocks
(b) The sound angers them and they attack
(c) The sound makes them bury their heads in the sand
(d) The sound makes them scream
4. What can Charlie's indifference to Nancy's needs can be viewed as?
5. What did Charlie used to hold to let himself sink to the bottom of the lake?
(a) Two heavy rocks
(b) Two bags of sand
(c) Two heavy bricks
(d) Two sea turtles
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme of Act 1?
2. What does Nancy hope to infuse her marriage with?
3. What word best describes the character of Charlie?
4. What was the woman's main role before the 1970s?
5. What is the main historical event the author has illustrated in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nancy's tone regarding Charlie's role as a husband and father affect him?
2. What does Sarah reveal to Nancy about her eggs?
3. How do the lizards respond to Charlie's discussion of the theory of evolution?
4. What does Nancy not understand about her husband's retirement plan?
5. Describe the first time Nancy feels fear of the sea creatures.
6. After the biological information about procreation and child-rearing is explained, what concept does Nancy tell the lizards about that the lizards do not understand?
7. How does Charlie try to defend himself and his wife against the sea creatures?
8. What does the appearance of another jet do to the group?
9. What do Charlie and Nancy hope their submissive gesture will do?
10. Where would Charlie like to spend his retirement?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)