|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the theme of Act 1?
(a) The challenge of retirement
(b) The challenge of the sexes
(c) The challenge of communication
(d) The challenge of evolution
2. What subject does Nancy bring up at the desperate attempt to get a reaction out of her husband?
(a) Their children's college fund
(b) Their future live as divorcees
(c) Their sex life
(d) Their finances
3. What word best describes the character of Charlie?
4. How does Nancy describe her husband at the end of Act 1 while in submission to the lizards?
5. How does Nancy feel when she sees the creatures?
6. As the couple argues, what creature appears?
(a) A dolphin
(b) A lizard
(c) A giant squid
(d) A sandpiper
7. What does Nancy encourage her husband to do as he lies on his back?
(b) Be expressionless
8. What does Nancy want from her marriage?
(a) Money and a home
(b) Intimacy and connection
(c) Care and balance
(d) Sex and adventure
9. What sound interrupts Charlie and Nancy's conversation?
(a) Squaking seagulls
(b) Jets overhead
(c) Other people talking
(d) A lifeguard rescuing a swimmer
10. What is Charlie's ideal life?
(a) To live on a ranch
(b) To become a writer
(c) To stay close to home
(d) To travel the globe
11. How does Nancy feel when the lizards reappear?
12. What did the changes of the 1970s provide women with?
13. What scientific theory is addressed in Act 1?
(a) Humans have limited evolution capabilities
(b) Humans evolved from desert creatures
(c) Humans evolved from sea creatures
(d) Humans evolved in the jungle
14. Where does Charlie want to retire?
(a) On a boat
(b) On a stretch of beach somewhere
(c) In a retirement home
(d) In Florida
15. What is the best way to describe the gesture that Nancy and Charlie are exhibiting for the creatures?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nancy's ideal life?
2. Is the tension created in her marriage enough to silence Nancy?
3. Is Charlie's intention to be hurtful towards his wife?
4. What types of creatures does the beach location allude that humans evolved from?
5. What does Nancy and Charlie hope their act will communicate to the lizards as they approach?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)