|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Nancy show fear?
(a) When she herself makes a frightening noise
(b) When the male lizard makes a frightening noise
(c) When the female lizard makes a frightening noise
(d) When her husband makes a frightening noise
2. What does Nancy's sarcastic validation of Charlie's merits as a good husband and father lead to?
(a) A long walk on the beach
(b) An argument
(c) A dip in the water
(d) A sexual escapade
3. How does Nancy react to Charlie's blasy attitude?
(a) Is compassionate to him
(b) Rants that life is short
(c) Asks for him to change
(d) Tells him he must go back to work
4. What is created in Charlie and Nancy's marriage as a result of miscommunication?
5. What is the main historical event the author has illustrated in the play?
(a) Women's Suffrage
(b) The Women's Liberation Movement
(c) The Equal Rights Ammendment
6. How does the author view the events of the 1970s?
7. How does Nancy's choice in twigs make her husband feel?
(a) He is indifferent
(b) He is thrilled
(c) He is enraged
(d) He is proud
8. Where does the setting open in Act 1?
(a) East Hamptons
(b) The desert
(c) A swimming pool
(d) The beach
9. How many times during Act 1 does Nancy bring up Charlie's childhood dream of living underwater?
(d) Three times
10. What word best describes the character of Nancy?
11. What does Charlie think is imminent?
(c) Certain death
12. What did the changes of the 1970s provide women with?
13. What does Charlie hope to infuse his marriage with?
14. What does Nancy feel that both Charlie and Nancy have lost?
(a) A sense of purpose
(b) Respect for each other
(c) A zest for life
(d) Mutual attraction for each other
15. What does Nancy want to plan with Charlie?
(b) To adopt a child
(c) A flight to another beach
(d) A move to another home
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nancy encourage her husband to do as he lies on his back?
2. What does Nancy threaten to do if Charlie is unwilling to go along with her?
3. How does Nancy feel about the sound that interrupts the couple?
4. How does Charlie feel when he sees the creatures?
5. What is Charlie's ideal life?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)