|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nancy suggest her and Charlie do as the lizards approach?
(a) Call for help
(b) Lie on the ground
(d) Jump in the water
2. How did women feel as a result of having time outside of the home?
3. What did Charlie used to hold to let himself sink to the bottom of the lake?
(a) Two heavy bricks
(b) Two heavy rocks
(c) Two sea turtles
(d) Two bags of sand
4. What does Charlie ask his wife to find in order to defend themselves against the creatures?
(a) A dead fish
(b) A stick
(c) A rock
5. What can the combination of opportunity and confusion in the 1970s can best be described as?
(a) An invention by men
(b) A lie
(d) A double edged sword
6. What are Charlie and Nancy facing as they enter their new stage in life?
(a) Health problems
(b) Empty nest syndrome
(c) Financial ruin
(d) Childless depression
7. What attribute of Charlie is affected by lying on his back in submission?
(a) His sanity
(b) His humor
(c) His anger
(d) His dignity
8. Why did Nancy suspect Charlie of infidelity?
(a) His alcohol and drug abuse
(b) His intolerance
(c) His anger and rage
(d) His indifference and tension
9. As the couple argues, what creature appears?
(a) A lizard
(b) A giant squid
(c) A dolphin
(d) A sandpiper
10. What is the theme of Act 1?
(a) The challenge of communication
(b) The challenge of retirement
(c) The challenge of the sexes
(d) The challenge of evolution
11. How does Nancy feel about Charlie's blase attitude?
12. What do Nancy and Charlie declare at the end of Act 1?
(a) Their hatred for each other
(b) War on the lizards
(c) War on each other
(d) Their love for each other
13. What does Charlie think the creatures must be a result of?
(a) Having salt water in their eyes
(b) Having eaten rancid liver paster for lunch
(c) Drinking too much wine
(d) A punishment for a faulty marriage
14. How does Charlie feel when he sees the creatures?
15. What does Nancy encourage her husband to do as he lies on his back?
(a) Be expressionless
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Nancy show fear?
2. How did women feel about the use of their newly allowed free time in the 1970's?
3. What is Nancy in the mood for after lunch?
4. What is the main historical event the author has illustrated in the play?
5. What does Charlie call the whole scene?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)