|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Nancy and Charlie lie on their backs?
(a) Charlie hurt himself
(b) To prevent the lizards from attacking
(c) To surrender
(d) To hide
2. What human element do the jets overhead exemplify?
3. Where does Charlie want to retire?
(a) In Florida
(b) On a stretch of beach somewhere
(c) On a boat
(d) In a retirement home
4. How does Charlie respond to accusations of infidelity?
(a) There is truth to the issue
(b) There is false evidence of the issue
(c) There is injustice within the issue
(d) There is no truth to the issue
5. What is Nancy in the mood for after lunch?
(a) To talk about the birds
(b) To talk about her love of water
(c) To talk about the shells
(d) To talk about the fresh salty air
6. What did the changes of the 1970s provide women with?
7. How can the state of Charlie and Nancy's marriage be best described?
8. What does Nancy encourage her husband to do as he lies on his back?
(d) Be expressionless
9. When did Nancy suspect Charlie of having an affair?
(a) After 10 years of marriage
(b) After their 1st year of marriage
(c) After 20 years of marriage
10. As the play opens, what have Charlie and Nancy finished enjoying?
(a) A long run
(b) A picnic lunch
(c) Feeding the seagulls
(d) A walk on the shore line
11. How did women feel about the use of their newly allowed free time in the 1970's?
12. What events does the author use the character of Nancy to shed light on?
(a) Critical events of the 21st century
(b) Critical events of the 1980s
(c) Critical events of the 1970s
(d) Critical events of the 1990s
13. What word best describes the character of Charlie?
14. Where does the setting open in Act 1?
(a) East Hamptons
(b) A swimming pool
(c) The desert
(d) The beach
15. What is Charlie's ideal life?
(a) To travel the globe
(b) To become a writer
(c) To stay close to home
(d) To live on a ranch
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the woman's main role before the 1970s?
2. What does Nancy hope to infuse her marriage with?
3. What do the jets overhead help to identify?
4. Why did Nancy suspect Charlie of infidelity?
5. How did women feel as a result of having time outside of the home?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)