|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word best describes the character of Nancy?
2. What is Nancy's ideal life?
(a) To teach
(b) To raise more children
(c) To travel from beach to beach
(d) To work a farm
3. How does Nancy feel about Charlie's blase attitude?
4. What sound interrupts Charlie and Nancy's conversation?
(a) Squaking seagulls
(b) A lifeguard rescuing a swimmer
(c) Other people talking
(d) Jets overhead
5. What subject does Nancy bring up at the desperate attempt to get a reaction out of her husband?
(a) Their sex life
(b) Their finances
(c) Their children's college fund
(d) Their future live as divorcees
6. What does Nancy suggest her and Charlie do as the lizards approach?
(b) Jump in the water
(c) Call for help
(d) Lie on the ground
7. How did women feel about the use of their newly allowed free time in the 1970's?
8. What does the sound of the jet make the lizards do?
(a) The sound sends them back behind the rocks
(b) The sound makes them bury their heads in the sand
(c) The sound angers them and they attack
(d) The sound makes them scream
9. What had the women in the 1970s been doing with their time prior to the social movements?
(a) Looking for a husband
(c) Developing a career
10. Describe Nancy's state of mind when the lizards reappear.
(d) Clear headed
11. What is Nancy in the mood for after lunch?
(a) To talk about the fresh salty air
(b) To talk about her love of water
(c) To talk about the shells
(d) To talk about the birds
12. What events does the author use the character of Nancy to shed light on?
(a) Critical events of the 1980s
(b) Critical events of the 1990s
(c) Critical events of the 21st century
(d) Critical events of the 1970s
13. Why did Nancy suspect Charlie of infidelity?
(a) His alcohol and drug abuse
(b) His intolerance
(c) His indifference and tension
(d) His anger and rage
14. Is the tension created in her marriage enough to silence Nancy?
(c) It is unclear
(d) In some cases
15. How does Charlie feel about Nancy's attempt to infuse enthusiasm into their relationship?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does the author favor in shedding light on historical events of the 1970s?
2. Why do Nancy and Charlie lie on their backs?
3. What does Nancy not understand about Charlie's retirement plan?
4. What does Charlie call the whole scene?
5. How many times during Act 1 does Nancy bring up Charlie's childhood dream of living underwater?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)