|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nancy feel that both Charlie and Nancy have lost?
(a) Respect for each other
(b) A zest for life
(c) Mutual attraction for each other
(d) A sense of purpose
2. How many times during Act 1 does Nancy bring up Charlie's childhood dream of living underwater?
(a) Three times
3. What does Nancy want to plan with Charlie?
(a) A move to another home
(b) A flight to another beach
(d) To adopt a child
4. What is created in Charlie and Nancy's marriage as a result of miscommunication?
5. Where does Charlie want to retire?
(a) In a retirement home
(b) On a stretch of beach somewhere
(c) In Florida
(d) On a boat
6. Where does the setting open in Act 1?
(a) East Hamptons
(b) The desert
(c) A swimming pool
(d) The beach
7. What does Charlie hope the gesture will save them from?
(a) Cruel fate
(c) Being eaten alive
(d) Being buried alive
8. What are Charlie and Nancy facing as they enter their new stage in life?
(a) Empty nest syndrome
(b) Financial ruin
(c) Health problems
(d) Childless depression
9. What can the combination of opportunity and confusion in the 1970s can best be described as?
(b) A lie
(c) A double edged sword
(d) An invention by men
10. What does Nancy and Charlie hope their act will communicate to the lizards as they approach?
11. What events does the author use the character of Nancy to shed light on?
(a) Critical events of the 1970s
(b) Critical events of the 21st century
(c) Critical events of the 1980s
(d) Critical events of the 1990s
12. What is Nancy in the mood for after lunch?
(a) To talk about the shells
(b) To talk about her love of water
(c) To talk about the birds
(d) To talk about the fresh salty air
13. How does Charlie respond to accusations of infidelity?
(a) There is injustice within the issue
(b) There is no truth to the issue
(c) There is false evidence of the issue
(d) There is truth to the issue
14. How did women feel as a result of having time outside of the home?
15. What does Charlie pass off Nancy's idea of his dream as?
(a) Childhood humor
(b) Childhood fancy
(c) Too lofty of a goal
(d) Too hard
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nancy react to Charlie's blasy attitude?
2. How does Nancy describe her husband at the end of Act 1 while in submission to the lizards?
3. What kind of relationship do Charlie and Nancy have?
4. During the 1970s, what did women have more of and permission to use it?
5. Which character does the author favor in shedding light on historical events of the 1970s?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)