|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the play opens, what have Charlie and Nancy finished enjoying?
(a) Feeding the seagulls
(b) A walk on the shore line
(c) A picnic lunch
(d) A long run
2. As the couple argues, what creature appears?
(a) A sandpiper
(b) A lizard
(c) A dolphin
(d) A giant squid
3. What does Nancy encourage her husband to do as he lies on his back?
(a) Be expressionless
4. What does Charlie call the whole scene?
(a) A fantasy
(b) A dream
(d) A certain hell
5. What subject does Nancy bring up at the desperate attempt to get a reaction out of her husband?
(a) Their sex life
(b) Their finances
(c) Their children's college fund
(d) Their future live as divorcees
6. When does Nancy show fear?
(a) When she herself makes a frightening noise
(b) When the female lizard makes a frightening noise
(c) When the male lizard makes a frightening noise
(d) When her husband makes a frightening noise
7. What word best describes Charlie and Nancy's ability to bridge the communication gap?
8. Where does Charlie want to retire?
(a) On a stretch of beach somewhere
(b) In a retirement home
(c) On a boat
(d) In Florida
9. What types of creatures does the beach location allude that humans evolved from?
(a) Sea creatures
(c) Sand creatures
10. What is the best way to describe the gesture that Nancy and Charlie are exhibiting for the creatures?
11. What happens when the lizards move forward towards Charlie and Nancy?
(a) A rock tumbles into the ocean
(b) A tidal wave begins to build
(c) A dolphin leaps from the water
(d) Another jet flies overhead
12. What kind of man has Charlie become?
(a) An academic
(b) A self-made genius
(c) A role-player
(d) An expert
13. What does Nancy's sarcastic validation of Charlie's merits as a good husband and father lead to?
(a) A sexual escapade
(b) A long walk on the beach
(c) A dip in the water
(d) An argument
14. Why did Nancy suspect Charlie of infidelity?
(a) His anger and rage
(b) His alcohol and drug abuse
(c) His intolerance
(d) His indifference and tension
15. What kind of woman has Nancy become?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Charlie's childhood dream?
2. What does Nancy threaten to do if Charlie is unwilling to go along with her?
3. What does Nancy hope to infuse her marriage with?
4. What can Charlie's indifference to Nancy's needs can be viewed as?
5. Which character finds a descent size stick?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)