|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Charlie's ideal life?
(a) To stay close to home
(b) To live on a ranch
(c) To become a writer
(d) To travel the globe
2. What was Charlie testing when he let himself sink down to the bottom of the lake?
(a) How fast he could swim back up to the surface
(b) How strong he was
(c) How much self discipline he had
(d) How long he could stay underwater
3. How does Nancy react to Charlie's blasy attitude?
(a) Asks for him to change
(b) Rants that life is short
(c) Is compassionate to him
(d) Tells him he must go back to work
4. What does Nancy want from her marriage?
(a) Care and balance
(b) Sex and adventure
(c) Intimacy and connection
(d) Money and a home
5. As the play opens, what have Charlie and Nancy finished enjoying?
(a) A long run
(b) A picnic lunch
(c) Feeding the seagulls
(d) A walk on the shore line
6. During the 1970s, what did women have more of and permission to use it?
7. What is the best description of the twig that Nancy chose as defense?
8. What is Nancy's ideal life?
(a) To raise more children
(b) To travel from beach to beach
(c) To teach
(d) To work a farm
9. Who is the author of Seascape?
(a) Beth Henley
(b) Aurthur Miller
(c) Tenessee Williams
(d) Edward Albee
10. What events does the author use the character of Nancy to shed light on?
(a) Critical events of the 1970s
(b) Critical events of the 21st century
(c) Critical events of the 1990s
(d) Critical events of the 1980s
11. What is the theme of Act 1?
(a) The challenge of retirement
(b) The challenge of communication
(c) The challenge of evolution
(d) The challenge of the sexes
12. How many times during Act 1 does Nancy bring up Charlie's childhood dream of living underwater?
(d) Three times
13. What did the changes of the 1970s provide women with?
14. What is the main historical event the author has illustrated in the play?
(b) The Equal Rights Ammendment
(c) The Women's Liberation Movement
(d) Women's Suffrage
15. What happens when the lizards move forward towards Charlie and Nancy?
(a) A dolphin leaps from the water
(b) A rock tumbles into the ocean
(c) Another jet flies overhead
(d) A tidal wave begins to build
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the woman's main role before the 1970s?
2. What does Charlie pass off Nancy's idea of his dream as?
3. Which character finds a descent size stick?
4. How does Nancy feel about the sound that interrupts the couple?
5. How does Charlie respond to accusations of infidelity?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)