|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the best way to describe the gesture that Nancy and Charlie are exhibiting for the creatures?
2. How did women feel as a result of having time outside of the home?
3. What does the sound of the jet make the lizards do?
(a) The sound angers them and they attack
(b) The sound sends them back behind the rocks
(c) The sound makes them scream
(d) The sound makes them bury their heads in the sand
4. How does Nancy feel about Charlie's blase attitude?
5. What kind of man has Charlie become?
(a) A role-player
(b) An expert
(c) An academic
(d) A self-made genius
6. What was Charlie testing when he let himself sink down to the bottom of the lake?
(a) How long he could stay underwater
(b) How strong he was
(c) How fast he could swim back up to the surface
(d) How much self discipline he had
7. How does Nancy feel about the sound that interrupts the couple?
(a) Nancy is in awe
(b) Nancy is overwhelmed
(c) Nancy is scared
(d) Nancy is panicked
8. What stage in life are Charlie and Nancy entering?
9. How does Nancy react to Charlie's blasy attitude?
(a) Tells him he must go back to work
(b) Asks for him to change
(c) Rants that life is short
(d) Is compassionate to him
10. What is the theme of Act 1?
(a) The challenge of communication
(b) The challenge of retirement
(c) The challenge of the sexes
(d) The challenge of evolution
11. What does Nancy not understand about Charlie's retirement plan?
(a) He's content to rest
(b) He's content to only learn to sail
(c) He's anxious to travel
(d) He's anxious to be a grandfather
12. As the play opens, what have Charlie and Nancy finished enjoying?
(a) Feeding the seagulls
(b) A picnic lunch
(c) A long run
(d) A walk on the shore line
13. What does Charlie hope to infuse his marriage with?
14. How does Nancy feel when the lizards reappear?
15. What does Nancy threaten to do if Charlie is unwilling to go along with her?
(a) Nancy will find another man
(b) Nancy will divorce him
(c) Nancy will sell the house
(d) Nancy will go on her own
Short Answer Questions
1. What scientific theory is addressed in Act 1?
2. What do Nancy and Charlie declare at the end of Act 1?
3. What word best describes the character of Nancy?
4. What is Charlie's ideal life?
5. What does Nancy's sarcastic validation of Charlie's merits as a good husband and father lead to?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)