|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Charlie feel about the sound that interrupts the couple?
(a) Charlie lets Nancy make the decision
(b) Charlie is overwhelmed
(c) Charlie thinks the sound is delightful
(d) Charlie thinks there will be a crash
2. As the play opens, what have Charlie and Nancy finished enjoying?
(a) A walk on the shore line
(b) A picnic lunch
(c) A long run
(d) Feeding the seagulls
3. What types of creatures does the beach location allude that humans evolved from?
(b) Sand creatures
(c) Sea creatures
4. What is Charlie's ideal life?
(a) To become a writer
(b) To stay close to home
(c) To live on a ranch
(d) To travel the globe
5. What can the combination of opportunity and confusion in the 1970s can best be described as?
(a) A lie
(b) An invention by men
(d) A double edged sword
6. What does Charlie pass off Nancy's idea of his dream as?
(a) Childhood humor
(b) Too lofty of a goal
(c) Too hard
(d) Childhood fancy
7. What word best describes the character of Nancy?
8. When does Nancy show fear?
(a) When her husband makes a frightening noise
(b) When the female lizard makes a frightening noise
(c) When the male lizard makes a frightening noise
(d) When she herself makes a frightening noise
9. Which character does the author favor in shedding light on historical events of the 1970s?
(a) The Female Lizard
(d) The Male Lizard
10. How does Nancy feel when the lizards reappear?
11. As the couple argues, what creature appears?
(a) A sandpiper
(b) A giant squid
(c) A dolphin
(d) A lizard
12. How did women feel about the use of their newly allowed free time in the 1970's?
13. How did women feel as a result of having time outside of the home?
14. What is the best way to describe the gesture that Nancy and Charlie are exhibiting for the creatures?
15. What is the theme of Act 1?
(a) The challenge of retirement
(b) The challenge of evolution
(c) The challenge of communication
(d) The challenge of the sexes
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of relationship do Charlie and Nancy have?
2. What do Nancy and Charlie declare at the end of Act 1?
3. Where does Charlie want to retire?
4. What does Nancy want to plan with Charlie?
5. How does Charlie respond to accusations of infidelity?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)