|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word best describes Charlie and Nancy's ability to bridge the communication gap?
2. Which character does the author favor in shedding light on historical events of the 1970s?
(a) The Male Lizard
(c) The Female Lizard
3. What is Charlie in the mood for after lunch?
(b) A nap
(c) A light swim
(d) A long walk
4. What does Nancy want from her marriage?
(a) Sex and adventure
(b) Care and balance
(c) Money and a home
(d) Intimacy and connection
5. How does Nancy feel when the lizards reappear?
6. What does Charlie call the whole scene?
(a) A dream
(b) A certain hell
(d) A fantasy
7. In Charlie's childhood dream, what body of water did he want to live underneath?
(a) The sea
(b) A swimming pool
(c) A lagoon
(d) A lake
8. What did the changes of the 1970s provide women with?
9. What does Charlie think is imminent?
(b) Certain death
10. What does Nancy's sarcastic validation of Charlie's merits as a good husband and father lead to?
(a) A dip in the water
(b) A sexual escapade
(c) An argument
(d) A long walk on the beach
11. What can Charlie's indifference to Nancy's needs can be viewed as?
12. What can the combination of opportunity and confusion in the 1970s can best be described as?
(b) A lie
(c) An invention by men
(d) A double edged sword
13. What does Nancy suggest her and Charlie do as the lizards approach?
(a) Lie on the ground
(b) Call for help
(d) Jump in the water
14. What does the sound of the jet make the lizards do?
(a) The sound makes them scream
(b) The sound angers them and they attack
(c) The sound makes them bury their heads in the sand
(d) The sound sends them back behind the rocks
15. How does the author view the events of the 1970s?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charlie respond to accusations of infidelity?
2. What object does the creature peek out behind?
3. How many times during Act 1 does Nancy bring up Charlie's childhood dream of living underwater?
4. What does Nancy hope to infuse her marriage with?
5. What is the theme of Act 1?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)