|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Sorin wish to live?
2. What does Shamraeff ask Trigorin to send them to cheer them up?
3. What has Constantine never created in any of his stories?
4. What does Masha say women do in secret?
5. What does Nina give Trigorin to remember her by?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between a character driven play and a plot driven play? How does Chekhov develop his characters to create a story? What are the main elements of a character driven story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's chronological setting.
What were the main concerns during the 1900s? How does the author express these concerns?
How would the author change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
THE SEA GULL is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)