|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Nina devote her whole life to if she was a writer?
2. Who does Trepleff say watches Nina closely?
3. What does Treplieff say sometimes speaks in his heart?
4. What does Nina say it is strange to see a famous actress doing?
5. What does the dog so when it is chained up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Constantine's play open?
2. What is the weather like at the beginning of the fourth act?
3. How does Peter think Madame Arkadina could help Constantine?
4. Why does Boris want to stay at the estate?
5. What does Nina tell Constantine?
6. Why is Madame Arkadina moody?
7. Why does Madame Arkadina say she cannot give her son money to travel?
8. What does the dead seagull symbolize?
9. How does Illya react to Madame Arkadina's outburst?
10. What prompted Constantine to kill himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare American and Russian culture.
What are the differences between the two cultures?
In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's chronological setting.
What were the main concerns during the 1900s? How does the author express these concerns?
How would the author change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
How has Madame Arkadina's tightness with money affected those close to her? Does Madame Arkadina have a responsibility to those close to her?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)