|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is 55-years-old?
2. What blows behind the stage?
3. Why does Nina say she cannot understand Treplieff?
4. How does Masha describe the air?
5. Why does Paulina say Dorn cannot escape from women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Madame Arkadina furious at Illya?
2. What does Illya tell Boris and Madame Arkadina?
3. What symbolizes the devil in the play?
4. What do Masha and Simon discuss?
5. How does Madame Arkadina complement Nina?
6. What does the dead seagull symbolize?
7. Why does Madame Arkadina say she cannot give her son money to travel?
8. Summarize the play.
9. Who is Boris Trigorin?
10. Why does Constantine walk away from Paulina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the way the author uses the characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? How does his use of the characters affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
What symbolism does Chekhov use in the play? Why does there tend to be more symbolism in theatre than in other arts?
Essay Topic 3
Why do Simon and Masha get married if they are not both in love? In what way does Chekhov suggest that union could prove destructive? What effect could such marriage have on children?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)