|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Nina late?
2. What does Aradina smoke?
3. Who does Nina say writes beautiful stories?
4. What does Sorin say Arkadina should not handle so roughly?
5. What does Trigorin say he is left behind like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Madame Arkadina say she cannot give her son money to travel?
2. Why is Constantine worried?
3. What do Madame Arkadina and Constantine argue about?
4. What does Yevgeny tell Boris when he returns?
5. Who are Masha and Simon Medvedenko?
6. What does Constantine say is the reason for his bad mood?
7. Why does Boris want to stay at the estate?
8. What do Boris and Nina say to each other before Boris leaves?
9. Why is Nina late for the performance?
10. What does Paulina think about her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Chekhov's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is generational gap expressed in Seagull particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)