|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Treplieff say sometimes speaks in his heart?
2. Why is Treplieff's play so hard to act in?
3. What is Dorn's job?
4. Where does Shamraeff rememebr Silva singing?
5. What season does Arkadina say she is usually insulted in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peter react to Illya treating his sister so badly?
2. What news in the second act act delights Boris?
3. What agreement do Simon and Masha come to?
4. What does the dead seagull symbolize?
5. Why is Madame Arkadina furious at Illya?
6. What does Paulina think about her husband?
7. Why does Constantine think that Nina favors Boris?
8. What symbolizes the devil in the play?
9. What does Constantine say is the reason for his bad mood?
10. How does Boris react to Madame Arkadina's insensitive comments?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the way the author uses the characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? How does his use of the characters affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Simon and Masha get married if they are not both in love? In what way does Chekhov suggest that union could prove destructive? What effect could such marriage have on children?
Essay Topic 3
THE SEA GULL greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the play and discuss its similarities swath the novel in terms of the following:
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)