|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Treplieff lay by Nina's feet?
2. What does Sorin want Masha's father to leave unchained?
3. What is Shamraeff's position on the estate?
4. What does the dog so when it is chained up?
5. Who does Arkadina say she is not?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Masha and Simon looking for Constantine?
2. What does Illya tell Boris and Madame Arkadina?
3. How does Madame Arkadina react to the play?
4. What symbolizes the devil in the play?
5. What is the setting of the second act?
6. What prompted Constantine to kill himself?
7. Who are Masha and Simon Medvedenko?
8. How does Constantine's play open?
9. What do Boris and Nina say to each other before Boris leaves?
10. Why is Madame Arkadina moody?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Chekhov's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between a character driven play and a plot driven play? How does Chekhov develop his characters to create a story? What are the main elements of a character driven story?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)