Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dorn's first name?
2. What does Arkadina want Sahmraeff to order for her?
3. What does Trigorin say makes him happy?
4. Who does Trepleff say watches Nina closely?
5. What does Dorn say destroys the individual?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the characters say about Constantine's work when he is gone?
2. What do Masha and Simon discuss?
3. Why does Nina say she is nervous?
4. How does Peter react to Illya treating his sister so badly?
5. How does Peter think Madame Arkadina could help Constantine?
6. Who are Masha and Simon Medvedenko?
7. How does Illya react to Madame Arkadina's outburst?
8. What is the setting of the second act?
9. How does Boris react when Madame Arkadina says they leave?
10. How does Boris react to Madame Arkadina's insensitive comments?
Essay Topic 1
THE SEA GULL is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's chronological setting.
What were the main concerns during the 1900s? How does the author express these concerns?
How would the author change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the way the author uses the characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? How does his use of the characters affect the story?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)