|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sorin drink with his dinner?
2. Which of the following does Trigorin not say it is his duty to write about?
3. What does Treplieff threaten to do?
4. Why does Aradina say she looks so young?
5. What does Shamraeff say Arkadina does not know?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Boris want to stay at the estate?
2. Why is Nina's life so bleak?
3. What news in the second act act delights Boris?
4. How does Madame Arkadina react to the play?
5. What do the people in the group talk about as they wait for the play to start?
6. Why does Peter like being surrounded by young artists?
7. How does Madame Arkadina complement Nina?
8. Why is Madame Akadina unhappy with Peter?
9. Why does Madame Arkadina say she cannot give her son money to travel?
10. Why is Nina late for the performance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Constantine jealous of Boris? How can Constantine get over his jealousy of Boris? Does Constantine gives into such feelings of jealousy too easily?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
Essay Topic 3
THE SEA GULL is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)