|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shamraeff's position on the estate?
2. What does Paulina do with the flowers that Nina gives Dorn?
3. What does Trigorin have to leave to do?
4. What is Sorin having an attack of?
5. What kind of tea does Dorn suggest they give Madame Akadina and Sorin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Madame Arkadina not want to stay at the estate?
2. Why does Madame Arkadina say she cannot give her son money to travel?
3. How does Madame Arkadina complement Nina?
4. What does Constantine say is the reason for his bad mood?
5. Why does Boris want to stay at the estate?
6. Why is Madame Akadina unhappy with Peter?
7. What is the setting of the second act?
8. Why is Madame Arkadina furious at Illya?
9. What does Paulina think about her husband?
10. What agreement do Simon and Masha come to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE SEA GULL is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chekhov's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the way the author uses the characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? How does his use of the characters affect the story?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)