|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sorin say City streets are full of?
2. Where did Sorin serve for 28 years?
3. Who does Nina say writes beautiful stories?
4. What does Aradina smoke?
5. What does Trigorin say makes him happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Constantine's play open?
2. What symbolizes the devil in the play?
3. What happens to Peter in the second act?
4. Why are Simon and Yevgeny so poor?
5. Why is Nina's life so bleak?
6. What does the dead seagull symbolize?
7. How does Peter react to Illya treating his sister so badly?
8. Why is Paulina worried about Yevgeny's attractions to Nina?
9. What do Boris and Nina say to each other before Boris leaves?
10. Why does Peter like being surrounded by young artists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the play and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1900s.
In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
How does the play express the changes Russian was going through at the time?
Does modern society share any values with 1900s Russia?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)