|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Arkadina say she is uneasy about?
2. What have Nina's mother and stepfather gone out to do?
3. What does Nina say it is strange seeing a famous author doing?
4. Why is Nina late?
5. Who does Sorin say is a tyrant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peter like being surrounded by young artists?
2. What does the dead seagull symbolize?
3. Why are Masha and Simon looking for Constantine?
4. How does Illya react to Madame Arkadina's outburst?
5. Why is Constantine worried?
6. What prompted Constantine to kill himself?
7. What do Boris and Nina say to each other before Boris leaves?
8. What do the characters say about Constantine's work when he is gone?
9. How does Peter think Madame Arkadina could help Constantine?
10. How does Boris try to extinguish bad feelings between himself and Constantine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
Essay Topic 2
THE SEA GULL is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two characters from the play and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)