|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arkadina want Sahmraeff to order for her?
2. Who does Arkadina say she is uneasy about?
3. What does Sorin want Masha's father to leave unchained?
4. What does Trigorin have to leave to do?
5. Who calls Boris from the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Constantine think that Nina favors Boris?
2. Why is Constantine worried?
3. How does Madame Arkadina react to the play?
4. What does the dead seagull symbolize?
5. What agreement do Simon and Masha come to?
6. How does Constantine's play open?
7. Why does Peter like being surrounded by young artists?
8. Why does Nina say she is nervous?
9. What do Boris and Nina say to each other before Boris leaves?
10. Why is Madame Arkadina furious at Illya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE SEA GULL greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the play and discuss its similarities swath the novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is generational gap expressed in Seagull particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1900s.
In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
How does the play express the changes Russian was going through at the time?
Does modern society share any values with 1900s Russia?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)