|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Treplieff lay by Nina's feet?
2. What does Treplieff wish his mother was?
3. What does Treplieff say he would be if his mother was an ordinary woman?
4. Who does Trigorin say he does not like?
5. Who does Sorin say is a tyrant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boris react to Madame Arkadina's insensitive comments?
2. How does Constantine's play open?
3. What does Illya tell Boris and Madame Arkadina?
4. Why does Peter like being surrounded by young artists?
5. Who are Masha and Simon Medvedenko?
6. Why is Illya enraged that Madame Arkadina wants a horse?
7. How does Peter think Madame Arkadina could help Constantine?
8. What does Yevgeny think is the sound that sounds like a gun shot?
9. What do Madame Arkadina and Constantine argue about?
10. What symbolizes the devil in the play?
Essay Topic 1
Why do Simon and Masha get married if they are not both in love? In what way does Chekhov suggest that union could prove destructive? What effect could such marriage have on children?
Essay Topic 2
THE SEA GULL is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the play's dialogue. How does the dialogue contribute to the following areas?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)