|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Treplieff carrying along with the seagull?
2. Who does Treplieff say he loves?
3. Why does Paulina want Dorn to put his hat back on?
4. What would Nina devote her whole life to if she was a writer?
5. What does Arkadina say it is Nina's duty to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Peter in the second act?
2. How does Peter think Madame Arkadina could help Constantine?
3. What does Madame Arkadina say is the secret to looking youthful?
4. What prompted Constantine to kill himself?
5. Why does Peter like being surrounded by young artists?
6. What do Boris and Nina say to each other before Boris leaves?
7. Why does Madame Arkadina say she cannot give her son money to travel?
8. Summarize the play.
9. Why is Constantine worried?
10. Why does Masha want to marry Simon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the play and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
Essay Topic 3
THE SEA GULL is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)