|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dorn's first name?
2. What does Arkadina want Sahmraeff to order for her?
3. What does Trigorin say makes him happy?
4. Who does Trepleff say watches Nina closely?
5. What does Dorn say destroys the individual?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the characters say about Constantine's work when he is gone?
2. What do Masha and Simon discuss?
3. Why does Nina say she is nervous?
4. How does Peter react to Illya treating his sister so badly?
5. How does Peter think Madame Arkadina could help Constantine?
6. Who are Masha and Simon Medvedenko?
7. How does Illya react to Madame Arkadina's outburst?
8. What is the setting of the second act?
9. How does Boris react when Madame Arkadina says they leave?
10. How does Boris react to Madame Arkadina's insensitive comments?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is generational gap expressed in Seagull particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Constantine jealous of Boris? How can Constantine get over his jealousy of Boris? Does Constantine gives into such feelings of jealousy too easily?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the play's chronological setting.
What were the main concerns during the 1900s? How does the author express these concerns?
How would the author change the novel if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)