|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Treplieff say sometimes speaks in his heart?
2. What 1973 play does Shamraeff mention?
3. What is Sorin having an attack of?
4. What can Masha not return to Medviedenko?
5. What does Trigorin say is all he is fit to describe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news in the second act act delights Boris?
2. What is the weather like at the beginning of the fourth act?
3. Who is Boris Trigorin?
4. Why is Madame Arkadina furious at Illya?
5. Why does Constantine think that Nina favors Boris?
6. What does Yevgeny think is the sound that sounds like a gun shot?
7. What prompted Constantine to kill himself?
8. Why is Madame Akadina unhappy with Peter?
9. How does Peter think Madame Arkadina could help Constantine?
10. What agreement do Simon and Masha come to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is generational gap expressed in Seagull particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 2
What symbolism does Chekhov use in the play? Why does there tend to be more symbolism in theatre than in other arts?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1900s.
In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
How does the play express the changes Russian was going through at the time?
Does modern society share any values with 1900s Russia?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)