|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arkadina say it is Nina's duty to do?
2. What is Dorn's first name?
3. What have Nina's mother and stepfather gone out to do?
4. What does Arkadina say she smells?
5. Where does Sorin say it is pleasanter to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Peter in the second act?
2. Why does Peter think he must be gravely ill?
3. What do the people in the group talk about as they wait for the play to start?
4. What is the setting of the second act?
5. What is the weather like at the beginning of the fourth act?
6. What agreement do Simon and Masha come to?
7. What does the dead seagull symbolize?
8. Why does Madame Arkadina not want to stay at the estate?
9. What do the characters say about Constantine's work when he is gone?
10. Why does Boris want to stay at the estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE SEA GULL is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play's chronological setting.
What were the main concerns during the 1900s? How does the author express these concerns?
How would the author change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1900s.
In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
How does the play express the changes Russian was going through at the time?
Does modern society share any values with 1900s Russia?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)