|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Treplieff say sometimes speaks in his heart?
2. Where does Shamraeff rememebr Silva singing?
3. What does Arkadina say it is a crime for Nina to do?
4. What does Paulina tell Dorn to put back on?
5. What kind of life does Treplieff think his mother leads?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Constantine think that Nina favors Boris?
2. Why are Masha and Simon looking for Constantine?
3. How does Peter react to Illya treating his sister so badly?
4. What does the dead seagull symbolize?
5. What news in the second act act delights Boris?
6. Why is Madame Arkadina moody?
7. How does Constantine's play open?
8. How does Peter think Madame Arkadina could help Constantine?
9. Why does Madame Arkadina not want to stay at the estate?
10. How does Boris react to Madame Arkadina's insensitive comments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What symbolism does Chekhov use in the play? Why does there tend to be more symbolism in theatre than in other arts?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chekhov's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the characters?
Essay Topic 3
How has Madame Arkadina's tightness with money affected those close to her? Does Madame Arkadina have a responsibility to those close to her?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)