|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Trigorin hear calling him?
2. Who does Treplieff not want to be late?
3. What does Treplieff lay by Nina's feet?
4. What does Treplieff threaten to do?
5. Why does Nina say she cannot understand Treplieff?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Madame Arkadina complement Nina?
2. Who is Boris Trigorin?
3. Why can Nina not accept Boris' resignation to mediocrity?
4. Why does Madame Arkadina not want to stay at the estate?
5. Why are Masha and Simon looking for Constantine?
6. What is the weather like at the beginning of the fourth act?
7. Why is Peter escorted to his room?
8. Why is Madame Akadina unhappy with Peter?
9. Why is Madame Arkadina furious at Illya?
10. How does Peter react to Illya treating his sister so badly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What are the differences between a play and a film in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Examine Chekhov's writing style. How would you describe his style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does his style give to the story?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)