|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sorin use to walk?
2. What does Nina say it is strange to see a famous actress doing?
3. What does Treplieff wish his mother was?
4. Who does Sorin say is a tyrant?
5. Why does Paulina say Dorn cannot escape from women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What symbolizes the devil in the play?
2. What is the setting of the second act?
3. Why does Peter like being surrounded by young artists?
4. How does Madame Arkadina react to the play?
5. What does Nina tell Constantine?
6. What does the dead seagull symbolize?
7. Why does Madame Arkadina not want to stay at the estate?
8. Why does Madame Arkadina say she cannot give her son money to travel?
9. What is the weather like at the beginning of the fourth act?
10. What do the characters say about Constantine's work when he is gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's dialogue. How does the dialogue contribute to the following areas?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the play's themes?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)