|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is 55-years-old?
2. What does Boris say he loves doing?
3. What does Akadina say she never likes to look into?
4. Who does Nina call a genius?
5. What does Treplieff say sometimes speaks in his heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yevgeny think is the sound that sounds like a gun shot?
2. How does Peter think Madame Arkadina could help Constantine?
3. What does Illya tell Boris and Madame Arkadina?
4. Why does Madame Arkadina say she cannot give her son money to travel?
5. What happens to Peter in the second act?
6. Why does Madame Arkadina not want to stay at the estate?
7. Why is Madame Arkadina furious at Illya?
8. Why does Masha want to marry Simon?
9. Why does Madame Arkadina want to return to the city?
10. Why does Simon wants to go home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of the 1900s.
In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
How does the play express the changes Russian was going through at the time?
Does modern society share any values with 1900s Russia?
Essay Topic 3
Why do Simon and Masha get married if they are not both in love? In what way does Chekhov suggest that union could prove destructive? What effect could such marriage have on children?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)