|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pauline say she is tortured by?
2. What blows behind the stage?
3. Why is Nina late?
4. Which character criticizes Treplieff's play?
5. What can Masha not return to Medviedenko?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the play.
2. Why does Peter think Constantine lives a lonely life?
3. How does Madame Arkadina complement Nina?
4. What is the setting of the second act?
5. Why is Madame Arkadina moody?
6. Why does Nina give Boris an engraved medallion?
7. Who are Masha and Simon Medvedenko?
8. How does Boris try to extinguish bad feelings between himself and Constantine?
9. Why does Boris think being a writer is not easy?
10. Why does Nina say she is nervous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has Madame Arkadina's tightness with money affected those close to her? Does Madame Arkadina have a responsibility to those close to her?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the play and helps to express character and theme:
Point of view
Essay Topic 3
THE SEA GULL is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)