|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arkadina say it is a crime for Nina to do?
2. What does Shamraeff say Arkadina does not know?
3. Why does Paulina want Dorn to put his hat back on?
4. What have Nina's mother and stepfather gone out to do?
5. What does Treplieff say frightens his mother to death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Madame Arkadina react to the play?
2. What do Madame Arkadina and Constantine argue about?
3. Why is Peter escorted to his room?
4. What does the dead seagull symbolize?
5. Why would Boris prefer to stay on the estate?
6. How does Boris react when Madame Arkadina says they leave?
7. What do the characters say about Constantine's work when he is gone?
8. What is the setting of the second act?
9. How does Constantine's play open?
10. What do Masha and Simon discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has Madame Arkadina's tightness with money affected those close to her? Does Madame Arkadina have a responsibility to those close to her?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the way the author uses the characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? How does his use of the characters affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Constantine jealous of Boris? How can Constantine get over his jealousy of Boris? Does Constantine gives into such feelings of jealousy too easily?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)