|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season does Arkadina say she is usually insulted in?
2. What does Nina say Boris has been spoiled by?
3. Why does Paulina want Dorn to put his hat back on?
4. Who does Arkadina say she is uneasy about?
5. What does Treplieff wish his mother was?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Constantine worried?
2. Why does Boris think being a writer is not easy?
3. What agreement do Simon and Masha come to?
4. How does Boris react when Madame Arkadina says they leave?
5. What is the weather like at the beginning of the fourth act?
6. Why does Madame Arkadina say she cannot give her son money to travel?
7. Why is Illya enraged that Madame Arkadina wants a horse?
8. How does Boris try to extinguish bad feelings between himself and Constantine?
9. What does Constantine say is the reason for his bad mood?
10. What do Masha and Simon discuss?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What symbolism does Chekhov use in the play? Why does there tend to be more symbolism in theatre than in other arts?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the play's chronological setting.
What were the main concerns during the 1900s? How does the author express these concerns?
How would the author change the novel if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)