|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Treplieff say sometimes speaks in his heart?
2. Where does Shamraeff rememebr Silva singing?
3. What does Treplieff use to tap the door?
4. What color does Masha dress in?
5. What is the title of the book Arkadina is reading?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Boris think being a writer is not easy?
2. How does Peter react to Illya treating his sister so badly?
3. Why does Masha want to marry Simon?
4. How does Masha think she can forget Constantine?
5. Why does Madame Arkadina not want to stay at the estate?
6. How does Madame Arkadina complement Nina?
7. How does Peter think Madame Arkadina could help Constantine?
8. Why does Nina give Boris an engraved medallion?
9. How does Boris react to Madame Arkadina's insensitive comments?
10. How does Constantine's play open?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's dialogue. How does the dialogue contribute to the following areas?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Chekhov's writing style. How would you describe his style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does his style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
THE SEA GULL is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)