|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Treplieff carrying along with the seagull?
2. What does Masha say happiness does not depend on?
3. What 1973 play does Shamraeff mention?
4. What kind of people does Masha think are often happy?
5. What does Shamraeff ask Jacob to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompted Constantine to kill himself?
2. What does Nina tell Constantine?
3. Why is Madame Akadina unhappy with Peter?
4. What do Boris and Nina say to each other before Boris leaves?
5. How does Madame Arkadina react to the play?
6. Why is Constantine worried?
7. Why does Constantine walk away from Paulina?
8. Why is Paulina worried about Yevgeny's attractions to Nina?
9. Why does Nina give Boris an engraved medallion?
10. What does Constantine say is the reason for his bad mood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play's chronological setting.
What were the main concerns during the 1900s? How does the author express these concerns?
How would the author change the novel if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
THE SEA GULL greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the play and discuss its similarities swath the novel in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Compare American and Russian culture.
What are the differences between the two cultures?
In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)