|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Masha say happiness does not depend on?
2. What does Sorin use to walk?
3. What does Sorin want Masha's father to leave unchained?
4. What does Sorin drink with his dinner?
5. What does Trigorin say has made him giddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nina tell Constantine?
2. How does Madame Arkadina react to the play?
3. How does Madame Arkadina complement Nina?
4. How does Boris react to Madame Arkadina's insensitive comments?
5. Why does Constantine think that Nina favors Boris?
6. What prompted Constantine to kill himself?
7. Summarize the play.
8. Why is Nina late for the performance?
9. Why does Masha want to marry Simon?
10. What does Constantine say is the reason for his bad mood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Chekhov's writing style. How would you describe his style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does his style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chekhov's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the characters?
Essay Topic 3
What symbolism does Chekhov use in the play? Why does there tend to be more symbolism in theatre than in other arts?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)