|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arkadina say she smells?
2. Where does Sorin say it is pleasanter to live?
3. What kind of life does Treplieff think his mother leads?
4. What blows behind the stage?
5. What does Trigorin say is all he is fit to describe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Constantine's play open?
2. Why does Madame Arkadina want to return to the city?
3. What does Yevgeny tell Boris when he returns?
4. Why is Nina's life so bleak?
5. What does Paulina think about her husband?
6. How does Madame Arkadina react to the play?
7. What news in the second act act delights Boris?
8. What does Illya tell Boris and Madame Arkadina?
9. Why does Constantine think that Nina favors Boris?
10. What does the dead seagull symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare American and Russian culture.
What are the differences between the two cultures?
In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 2
How has Madame Arkadina's tightness with money affected those close to her? Does Madame Arkadina have a responsibility to those close to her?
Essay Topic 3
THE SEA GULL is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)