|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Trigorin have to leave to do?
2. Why does Aradina say she looks so young?
3. What does Arkadina want her son to spare her?
4. Where does Sorin say it is pleasanter to live?
5. What kind of people does Masha think are often happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Madame Arkadina and Constantine argue about?
2. What do Masha and Simon discuss?
3. What does the dead seagull symbolize?
4. Why is Nina's life so bleak?
5. Why does Peter think Constantine lives a lonely life?
6. Why does Boris think being a writer is not easy?
7. How does Boris react when Madame Arkadina says they leave?
8. What does Nina tell Constantine?
9. Why are Simon and Yevgeny so poor?
10. What prompted Constantine to kill himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1THE SEA GULL is translated from Russian into English. How much meaning can a play loses through a translation? What aspects of the play do you think would be the most difficult to express in English? How do you think a translator can overcome these difficulties?
Essay Topic 2What are the differences between a play and a film in terms of the following: Language Character Structure
Essay Topic 3What is the difference between a character driven play and a plot driven play? How does Chekhov develop his characters to create a story? What are the main elements of a character driven story?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)