|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Hump clear the beach by?
2. Why is Hump initially worried?
3. Why did Larsen's crew leave his ship?
4. What do Brewster and Hump do while Brewster blindly tries to catch them?
5. What does hump see ahead?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the blind Larsen still a formidable force?
2. In what does the ending reflect the beginning of the novel?
3. How do Hump's thoughts reflect the nature of the long journey?
4. How is Hump and Brewster arrival on the islet timely?
5. Do you think Hump is worried about their survival?
6. How does Ghost's attack on the Macedonia put them on an even keel?
7. In what has Hump gained power over Larsen?
8. How has Hump achieved the goal London set for him at the beginning of the novel?
9. What position do you think the Islet is that Hump and Brewster arrive at?
10. Do you think it is strange that the Ghost appears on tn the shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Ghost ship and its layout. Choose one of ship scene from the book and discuss how the setting contributes to the meaning of the scene.
Essay Topic 2
Using two examples from the book discuss the following discuss the following statement; Sea-Wolf is an attack on Nietzsche's super-man philosophy.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's plot structure.
1) What is the premise of the novel? Does London stick closely to the premise?
2) What problems do the characters have to solve? How do they solve them?
3) Do you think the book concludes satisfactorily?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)