|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does hump see ahead?
2. What material do Hump and Brewster decide to make the hut roof from?
3. What do the men take along with their usual shot guns?
4. How does Hump start a fire?
5. What does Hump change the sails to indicate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hump's 'rigging effort'?
2. Do you think London is inconsistent with Hump's character in this chapter?
3. How does Ghost's attack on the Macedonia put them on an even keel?
4. Describe the technical detail goes into when Hump erects the shears.
5. How do Hump's thoughts reflect the nature of the long journey?
6. What position do you think the Islet is that Hump and Brewster arrive at?
7. How does Hump learn how to kill the seals?
8. In what does the ending reflect the beginning of the novel?
9. How does Hump overcome Larsen's destruction of his work?
10. In what way do Hump and Brewster unknowingly fail the now dead Larsen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using two examples from the book discuss the following discuss the following statement; Sea-Wolf is an attack on Nietzsche's super-man philosophy.
Essay Topic 2
What difference do you think Brewster's introduction makes to the story? What do you would of happened if Brewster was not introduced into the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what is meant by a materialist and idealist. Which one of the two do you think you are?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)