|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hump do while Brewster sleeps?
2. What does Larsen do instead of reacting to Hump's dirk?
3. Who joins Brewster and Larsen for breakfast?
4. What does Larsen state that his intent is?
5. How does Hump stop Larsen from destroying his work again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think London is inconsistent with Hump's character in this chapter?
2. How do you think Hump's love for Brewster help him survive?
3. In what ways is Hump's lack of experience a severe disadvantage when he escapes the Ghost with Brewster?
4. How does Brewster's prediction that someone is coming go against her character?
5. In what has Hump gained power over Larsen?
6. In what does the ending reflect the beginning of the novel?
7. In waht way could the reader see Larsen victorious over Hump?
8. How does Wolf Larsen make up for his boat's lack of power?
9. In what way do Hump and Brewster unknowingly fail the now dead Larsen?
10. In what could you construe Larsen as a pure character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character of Hump. What do you think the goal of his is? Does his character change as the novel progresses? Do you think Hump achieves his goal?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dialogue used in the book. How does London express the differences in education between the characters? Do you think the dialogue represents the characters accurately?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Ghost ship and its layout. Choose one of ship scene from the book and discuss how the setting contributes to the meaning of the scene.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)