|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Brewster and Hump put Larsen?
2. What does the prominence appear to be?
3. What does Hump do for the first time in many weeks at the end of the chapter?
4. What does Hump do when he sees the Ghost?
5. What does Hump do when the wind picks up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What position do you think the Islet is that Hump and Brewster arrive at?
2. In what has Hump gained power over Larsen?
3. In what could you construe Larsen as a pure character?
4. In what does the ending reflect the beginning of the novel?
5. Do you think it is strange that the Ghost appears on tn the shore?
6. Describe Hump and Brewster's hut.
7. How has Hump achieved the goal London set for him at the beginning of the novel?
8. How does Wolf Larsen make up for his boat's lack of power?
9. Do you think London is inconsistent with Hump's character in this chapter?
10. In what does Larsen attempt to kill Hump finish him off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Jack London's writing style.
1) What are the elements of writing style?
2) What is London's writing style?
3) What meaning does London's style give to the book.
Essay Topic 2
What difference do you think Brewster's introduction makes to the story? What do you would of happened if Brewster was not introduced into the story?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the role of a ship's captain? Does Larsen fulfill this role?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)