|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Larsen do instead of reacting to Hump's dirk?
2. What subject does Larsen turn the conversation to?
3. What does Hump despair about?
4. Who offered Larsen's men more money?
5. Where does Larsen sleep whilst on the islet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think Hump's love for Brewster help him survive?
2. In what does Larsen attempt to kill Hump finish him off?
3. In what does the ending reflect the beginning of the novel?
4. In what ways is Hump's lack of experience a severe disadvantage when he escapes the Ghost with Brewster?
5. Describe the fight between Hump and Larsen in chapter 26
6. Why is Larsen alone?
7. How does Hump learn how to kill the seals?
8. What position do you think the Islet is that Hump and Brewster arrive at?
9. In waht way could the reader see Larsen victorious over Hump?
10. Describe Hump's 'rigging effort'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what is meant by a materialist and idealist. Which one of the two do you think you are?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dialogue used in the book. How does London express the differences in education between the characters? Do you think the dialogue represents the characters accurately?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the Ghost crew's mutiny does not work? How does the mutiny change the story? What do you think would have happened if the crew's mutiny was successful?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)