|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Hump forgotten?
2. What does Larsen forbid Hump and Brewster to do?
3. What does hump see ahead?
4. What sea does Hump think they are in?
5. What do Brewster and Hump manage to complete in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the blind Larsen still a formidable force?
2. Describe the islet.
3. What position do you think the Islet is that Hump and Brewster arrive at?
4. In why has Hump's personal philosophy changed?
5. Describe Hump's 'rigging effort'?
6. Why is Larsen alone?
7. In what could you construe Larsen as a pure character?
8. Do you think London is inconsistent with Hump's character in this chapter?
9. Describe the technical detail goes into when Hump erects the shears.
10. How does Brewster's prediction that someone is coming go against her character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
London uses a number characters from different areas of the world including Scandinavia, Hawaii, USA and Britain.
How accurate do you think London's representations of these cultures are? Do you think he subverts stereotypes? Are some representations more negative or positive than others?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what is meant by a materialist and idealist. Which one of the two do you think you are?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel London shows how important it is to work as a member of a team. Discuss the importance of teamwork. What are the differences between leaders and followers? How can a team work well with a variety of individuals? Do you think the crew on the Ghost work well together?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)