|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who assists Hump in helping the wounded sailors?
2. Which of the following does Brewster say about Larsen?
3. What does Larsen do during the night?
4. What do Larsen and Brewster talk about at dinner?
5. How does Hump take Brewster to her bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the islet.
2. In waht way could the reader see Larsen victorious over Hump?
3. What happens to Brewster and Hump's boat once they take for the seas?
4. How does Hump learn how to kill the seals?
5. Describe Hump's 'rigging effort'?
6. How do Hump's thoughts reflect the nature of the long journey?
7. What position do you think the Islet is that Hump and Brewster arrive at?
8. In what ways is Hump's lack of experience a severe disadvantage when he escapes the Ghost with Brewster?
9. In why has Hump's personal philosophy changed?
10. In what has Hump gained power over Larsen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting. What was happening in the USA during the time the novel was set? Are these concerns reflected in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what is meant by a materialist and idealist. Which one of the two do you think you are?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the differences between self-learning and formal education.
1) Which in your opinion is the more valuable method of learning and why?
2) Do you think Larsen and Hump learn from each others very different upbringings. Support your answer with two examples from the book.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)