|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Larsen turn the conversation to?
2. What does Larsen do during the night?
3. What do Hump and Brewster use for a mattress?
4. How big is the prominence in circumference?
5. What does Hump do for the first time in many weeks at the end of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what does Larsen attempt to kill Hump finish him off?
2. How does Hump overcome Larsen's destruction of his work?
3. In why has Hump's personal philosophy changed?
4. In what could you construe Larsen as a pure character?
5. Describe Hump and Brewster's hut.
6. How do you think Hump's love for Brewster help him survive?
7. How does Wolf Larsen make up for his boat's lack of power?
8. Waht does Hump do once he realizes he holds the power over Larsen?
9. What happens to Brewster and Hump's boat once they take for the seas?
10. How does Ghost's attack on the Macedonia put them on an even keel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do you think that Hump idealizes Brewster? What do these ideals say about Hump's character? How different do you think Brewster is to Hump's ideal woman?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dialogue used in the book. How does London express the differences in education between the characters? Do you think the dialogue represents the characters accurately?
Essay Topic 3
London uses a number characters from different areas of the world including Scandinavia, Hawaii, USA and Britain.
How accurate do you think London's representations of these cultures are? Do you think he subverts stereotypes? Are some representations more negative or positive than others?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)