|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Larsen lose his ability to do?
2. What do Hump and Brewster take it in turns to do?
3. What do they do when Brewster wakes up?
4. What do Hump and Brewster decide is their best option?
5. What is Hump too exhausted to do after a night out at sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the technical detail goes into when Hump erects the shears.
2. In what does the ending reflect the beginning of the novel?
3. Describe the islet.
4. Do you think London is inconsistent with Hump's character in this chapter?
5. How do you think Hump's love for Brewster help him survive?
6. Describe Hump and Brewster's hut.
7. How is the blind Larsen still a formidable force?
8. How do Hump's thoughts reflect the nature of the long journey?
9. In waht way could the reader see Larsen victorious over Hump?
10. In what could you construe Larsen as a pure character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difference do you think Brewster's introduction makes to the story? What do you would of happened if Brewster was not introduced into the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting. What was happening in the USA during the time the novel was set? Are these concerns reflected in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following statement using two examples from the novel to support your argument: The situations in the novel become increasingly unbelievable.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)