|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Brewster say about Larsen?
2. How does Hump start a fire?
3. What does Hump instruct Brewster on?
4. What does Hump see when he wakes up?
5. What does Larsen forbid Hump and Brewster to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Hump and Brewster arrival on the islet timely?
2. Describe Hump's 'rigging effort'?
3. How does Hump overcome Larsen's destruction of his work?
4. Why is Larsen alone?
5. How do Hump's thoughts reflect the nature of the long journey?
6. How does Hump learn how to kill the seals?
7. How is the blind Larsen still a formidable force?
8. How has Hump achieved the goal London set for him at the beginning of the novel?
9. Describe the islet.
10. In what does the ending reflect the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using two examples from the book discuss the following discuss the following statement; Sea-Wolf is an attack on Nietzsche's super-man philosophy.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's plot structure.
1) What is the premise of the novel? Does London stick closely to the premise?
2) What problems do the characters have to solve? How do they solve them?
3) Do you think the book concludes satisfactorily?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel London shows how important it is to work as a member of a team. Discuss the importance of teamwork. What are the differences between leaders and followers? How can a team work well with a variety of individuals? Do you think the crew on the Ghost work well together?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)