|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Brewster and Hump decide it is best to do at night?
2. Which of the following does Brewster say about Larsen?
3. What does Hump discover Larsen doing whilst investigating the ship?
4. What does Hump do when the wind picks up?
5. What does Larsen forbid Hump and Brewster to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hump's thoughts reflect the nature of the long journey?
2. How is the blind Larsen still a formidable force?
3. What position do you think the Islet is that Hump and Brewster arrive at?
4. How does Brewster's prediction that someone is coming go against her character?
5. How has Hump achieved the goal London set for him at the beginning of the novel?
6. How do you think Hump's love for Brewster help him survive?
7. Describe the fight between Hump and Larsen in chapter 26
8. In what way do Hump and Brewster unknowingly fail the now dead Larsen?
9. In what has Hump gained power over Larsen?
10. How does Hump learn how to kill the seals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
London uses a number characters from different areas of the world including Scandinavia, Hawaii, USA and Britain.
How accurate do you think London's representations of these cultures are? Do you think he subverts stereotypes? Are some representations more negative or positive than others?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do you think that Hump idealizes Brewster? What do these ideals say about Hump's character? How different do you think Brewster is to Hump's ideal woman?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the role of a ship's captain? Does Larsen fulfill this role?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)