|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hump construct in this chapter?
2. Where do Brewster and Hump put Larsen?
3. What do Larsen and Brewster talk about at dinner?
4. What do Hump and Brewster use for a mattress?
5. What has Hump forgotten?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hump and Brewster's hut.
2. How is Hump and Brewster arrival on the islet timely?
3. How has Hump achieved the goal London set for him at the beginning of the novel?
4. How do Hump's thoughts reflect the nature of the long journey?
5. Do you think it is strange that the Ghost appears on tn the shore?
6. How does Hump overcome Larsen's destruction of his work?
7. In what ways is Hump's lack of experience a severe disadvantage when he escapes the Ghost with Brewster?
8. In what has Hump gained power over Larsen?
9. Why is Larsen alone?
10. How do you think Hump's love for Brewster help him survive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Study Jack London's life. How much of the story do you think comes from personal experience? Do you think any of the characters in the book are based on anyone in London's life or even London himself?
Essay Topic 2
What difference do you think Brewster's introduction makes to the story? What do you would of happened if Brewster was not introduced into the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Jack London's writing style.
1) What are the elements of writing style?
2) What is London's writing style?
3) What meaning does London's style give to the book.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)