|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Brewster and Hump put Larsen?
2. What happens to Larsen in the hold?
3. What do Brewster and Hump manage to complete in this chapter?
4. What does Larsen do during the night?
5. What do Brewster and Hump do while Brewster blindly tries to catch them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think Hump's love for Brewster help him survive?
2. How do Hump's thoughts reflect the nature of the long journey?
3. Why is Larsen alone?
4. Do you think London is inconsistent with Hump's character in this chapter?
5. Describe Hump and Brewster's hut.
6. Describe the technical detail goes into when Hump erects the shears.
7. In what ways is Hump's lack of experience a severe disadvantage when he escapes the Ghost with Brewster?
8. In what does Larsen attempt to kill Hump finish him off?
9. In why has Hump's personal philosophy changed?
10. In what could you construe Larsen as a pure character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what is meant by a materialist and idealist. Which one of the two do you think you are?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of Hump. What do you think the goal of his is? Does his character change as the novel progresses? Do you think Hump achieves his goal?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following statement using two examples from the novel to support your argument: The situations in the novel become increasingly unbelievable.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)