|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take to construct the shears?
2. How does the Macedonia respond to the attack?
3. How does the story finish?
4. What does Hump discover has happens when he awakens?
5. How does Hump internally refer to Brewster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hump and Brewster's hut.
2. Do you think it is strange that the Ghost appears on tn the shore?
3. How has Hump achieved the goal London set for him at the beginning of the novel?
4. How does Hump overcome Larsen's destruction of his work?
5. In what way do Hump and Brewster unknowingly fail the now dead Larsen?
6. How does Wolf Larsen make up for his boat's lack of power?
7. Do you think London is inconsistent with Hump's character in this chapter?
8. Describe the technical detail goes into when Hump erects the shears.
9. Describe Hump's 'rigging effort'?
10. How is the blind Larsen still a formidable force?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following statement using two examples from the novel to support your argument: The situations in the novel become increasingly unbelievable.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do you think that Hump idealizes Brewster? What do these ideals say about Hump's character? How different do you think Brewster is to Hump's ideal woman?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting. What was happening in the USA during the time the novel was set? Are these concerns reflected in the novel?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)