|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Hump and Brewster take it in turns to do?
2. What is Hump too exhausted to do after a night out at sea?
3. What does Hump think was a symptom of Larsen's current problem?
4. Who offered Larsen's men more money?
5. What does Larsen ask Hump for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the blind Larsen still a formidable force?
2. In what has Hump gained power over Larsen?
3. How is Hump and Brewster arrival on the islet timely?
4. How do Hump's thoughts reflect the nature of the long journey?
5. Do you think it is strange that the Ghost appears on tn the shore?
6. In what does Larsen attempt to kill Hump finish him off?
7. How does Hump learn how to kill the seals?
8. How does Ghost's attack on the Macedonia put them on an even keel?
9. Describe the technical detail goes into when Hump erects the shears.
10. How does Brewster's prediction that someone is coming go against her character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character of Hump. What do you think the goal of his is? Does his character change as the novel progresses? Do you think Hump achieves his goal?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Jack London's writing style.
1) What are the elements of writing style?
2) What is London's writing style?
3) What meaning does London's style give to the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following statement using two examples from the novel to support your argument: The situations in the novel become increasingly unbelievable.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)