|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hump initially worried?
2. What does Hump discover Larsen doing whilst investigating the ship?
3. What does Larsen do instead of reacting to Hump's dirk?
4. What does Larsen ask Hump for?
5. What do Hump and Brewster beach comb for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hump learn how to kill the seals?
2. How does Ghost's attack on the Macedonia put them on an even keel?
3. In what has Hump gained power over Larsen?
4. How do Hump's thoughts reflect the nature of the long journey?
5. In what could you construe Larsen as a pure character?
6. Describe Hump and Brewster's hut.
7. Describe Hump's 'rigging effort'?
8. How is the blind Larsen still a formidable force?
9. Do you think it is strange that the Ghost appears on tn the shore?
10. Why is Larsen alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is the role of a ship's captain? Does Larsen fulfill this role?
Essay Topic 2
Imagine you are stranded on a small islet. How do you think you would survive? What would you have done differently to Brewster and Hump?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of Hump. What do you think the goal of his is? Does his character change as the novel progresses? Do you think Hump achieves his goal?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)