|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hump discover has happens when he awakens?
2. What do Hump and Brewster do to kill the seals when their ammunition runs out?
3. What does Larsen do when Brewster and Hump come aboard to inspect the damp?
4. What are Hump and Brewster worried that Larsen will do?
5. How does the story finish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think London is inconsistent with Hump's character in this chapter?
2. Why is Larsen alone?
3. How does Wolf Larsen make up for his boat's lack of power?
4. In what way do Hump and Brewster unknowingly fail the now dead Larsen?
5. Describe Hump's 'rigging effort'?
6. Describe the fight between Hump and Larsen in chapter 26
7. In what has Hump gained power over Larsen?
8. In what does the ending reflect the beginning of the novel?
9. How is Hump and Brewster arrival on the islet timely?
10. How has Hump achieved the goal London set for him at the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the Ghost crew's mutiny does not work? How does the mutiny change the story? What do you think would have happened if the crew's mutiny was successful?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the differences between self-learning and formal education.
1) Which in your opinion is the more valuable method of learning and why?
2) Do you think Larsen and Hump learn from each others very different upbringings. Support your answer with two examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is your opinion on seal hunting? Do you think it should be banned?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)