|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brewster predict is going to happen?
2. What does Hump do when the wind picks up?
3. What does Larsen do when Brewster and Hump come aboard to inspect the damp?
4. What does Hump change the sails to indicate?
5. What does Larsen do during the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What position do you think the Islet is that Hump and Brewster arrive at?
2. In what could you construe Larsen as a pure character?
3. Do you think it is strange that the Ghost appears on tn the shore?
4. How is the blind Larsen still a formidable force?
5. What happens to Brewster and Hump's boat once they take for the seas?
6. How does Brewster's prediction that someone is coming go against her character?
7. Why is Larsen alone?
8. How does Hump learn how to kill the seals?
9. Describe the islet.
10. How does Ghost's attack on the Macedonia put them on an even keel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difference do you think Brewster's introduction makes to the story? What do you would of happened if Brewster was not introduced into the story?
Essay Topic 2
London uses a number characters from different areas of the world including Scandinavia, Hawaii, USA and Britain.
How accurate do you think London's representations of these cultures are? Do you think he subverts stereotypes? Are some representations more negative or positive than others?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel London shows how important it is to work as a member of a team. Discuss the importance of teamwork. What are the differences between leaders and followers? How can a team work well with a variety of individuals? Do you think the crew on the Ghost work well together?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)