|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One does Hump say Larsen is a culmination of?
2. Who skippers the Macedonia?
3. Where does Charley Furuthseth keep a cottage?
4. What does the narrator say Harrison gives the appearance of?
5. Why has Johnson collided with Larsen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hump's presumptions about Larsen prove embarrassing in chapter 7?
2. Describe Hump.
3. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
4. How has Larsen's upbringing shaped him as a person?
5. How does Larsen behave after the mutiny?
6. How does Mudgride attack on Larsen affect Larsen?
7. Why do you think Brewster so readily agrees to Hump's suggestion that she stays with Larsen to keep him calm?
8. What is Hump's reaction to finding literature in Larsen's cabin?
9. How does Hump take to the rest of the crew?
10. How is Larsen's cruel nature illustrated in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using two examples from the book discuss the following discuss the following statement; Sea-Wolf is an attack on Nietzsche's super-man philosophy.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel London shows how important it is to work as a member of a team. Discuss the importance of teamwork. What are the differences between leaders and followers? How can a team work well with a variety of individuals? Do you think the crew on the Ghost work well together?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Jack London's writing style.
1) What are the elements of writing style?
2) What is London's writing style?
3) What meaning does London's style give to the book.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)