|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say his task is during the slaughter of the seals?
2. Who does Leach ask Hump to find for him back in San Francisco?
3. What does Leach ask Hump the bearing for?
4. Who does the narrator say Larsen is worse off than?
5. What is leach and Johnson only alternative to capsizing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mudgride attack on Larsen affect Larsen?
2. How has Larsen's upbringing shaped him as a person?
3. How does Hump take to the rest of the crew?
4. Why do you think Larsen pursued Johnson and Leach?
5. How is Mugridge's philosophy materialistic?
6. How does Larsen behave after the mutiny?
7. In what way does Hump admire Johnson?
8. Why does Larsen think life is without value?
9. Why do you think Brewster so readily agrees to Hump's suggestion that she stays with Larsen to keep him calm?
10. What do Hump and Brewster to do to survive Larsen's brutality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel London shows how important it is to work as a member of a team. Discuss the importance of teamwork. What are the differences between leaders and followers? How can a team work well with a variety of individuals? Do you think the crew on the Ghost work well together?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's plot structure.
1) What is the premise of the novel? Does London stick closely to the premise?
2) What problems do the characters have to solve? How do they solve them?
3) Do you think the book concludes satisfactorily?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Hump and Larsen. How do their views differ? Are there any similarities between the two characters? Why do you think they both fall for for Brewster?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)