|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator say the seal slaughter is for?
2. Which two men shoot at the deserters?
3. One does Hump say Larsen is a culmination of?
4. Where are the life preservers stored?
5. What member of the crew does the narrator say he hates?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is chapter 14 a major turning point in the narrative?
2. Why do you think Larsen pursued Johnson and Leach?
3. How are Larsen and Hump views on the battle with nature different?
4. How has Larsen's upbringing shaped him as a person?
5. Describe what a slop chest is.
6. How is Mugridge's philosophy materialistic?
7. How is Death Larsen more powerful than his brother's boat?
8. Describe Hump.
9. How does London use the biting in chapter 21 as a metaphor?
10. In what different ways are Larsen and Hump attracted to Brewster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your opinion on seal hunting? Do you think it should be banned?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following statement using two examples from the novel to support your argument: The situations in the novel become increasingly unbelievable.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel London shows how important it is to work as a member of a team. Discuss the importance of teamwork. What are the differences between leaders and followers? How can a team work well with a variety of individuals? Do you think the crew on the Ghost work well together?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)