|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Wolf Larsen dedicates himself to after the attempted mutiny?
2. What Japanese islands does the Ghost arrive at?
3. Where does Charley Furuthseth keep a cottage?
4. What does the narrator hear Larsen groaning?
5. Who does Hump recognize Maud Brewster as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Larsen finds Hump an interesting person to talk to?
2. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
3. How does Hump feel about Larsen spending so much time with Brewster?
4. In what different ways are Larsen and Hump attracted to Brewster?
5. Why do you think Brewster so readily agrees to Hump's suggestion that she stays with Larsen to keep him calm?
6. How does Mugridge's attitude change towards Hump?
7. How does Hump fee about Maude Brewster?
8. Describe what a slop chest is.
9. How has Larsen's upbringing shaped him as a person?
10. How is Mugridge's philosophy materialistic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following statement using two examples from the novel to support your argument: The situations in the novel become increasingly unbelievable.
Essay Topic 2
London uses a number characters from different areas of the world including Scandinavia, Hawaii, USA and Britain.
How accurate do you think London's representations of these cultures are? Do you think he subverts stereotypes? Are some representations more negative or positive than others?
Essay Topic 3
What is your opinion on seal hunting? Do you think it should be banned?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)