|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the boat called the hunters see in the distance?
2. How does the narrator say Larsen treats his men?
3. Who skippers the Macedonia?
4. Who does Larsen become possessive of?
5. How does the narrator say the captain suffers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Larsen and Hump views on the battle with nature different?
2. How does Larsen behave after the mutiny?
3. How is Mugridge's philosophy materialistic?
4. How is Death Larsen more powerful than his brother's boat?
5. What do Hump and Brewster to do to survive Larsen's brutality?
6. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
7. In what way does Hump admire Johnson?
8. How do Hump's presumptions about Larsen prove embarrassing in chapter 7?
9. What problems do you think Maude Brewster appearance could cause?
10. Why do you think Larsen finds Hump an interesting person to talk to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your opinion on seal hunting? Do you think it should be banned?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of Hump. What do you think the goal of his is? Does his character change as the novel progresses? Do you think Hump achieves his goal?
Essay Topic 3
Study Jack London's life. How much of the story do you think comes from personal experience? Do you think any of the characters in the book are based on anyone in London's life or even London himself?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)