|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say the Ghost was built for?
2. What does Hump say will happen if he tries to change things?
3. What does Larsen ask Hump to do in exchange for not killing Leach and Johnson?
4. What does Hump say Brewster's body is the finished product of?
5. What does Hump say happens if he does nothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In waht way could the reader see Larsen victorious over Hump?
2. Waht does Hump do once he realizes he holds the power over Larsen?
3. How does Hump learn how to kill the seals?
4. How does Hump take to the rest of the crew?
5. How is Death Larsen more powerful than his brother's boat?
6. How is the blind Larsen still a formidable force?
7. How has Larsen's upbringing shaped him as a person?
8. Describe the rescued ship.
9. In why has Hump's personal philosophy changed?
10. Describe Hump and Brewster's hut.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the differences between self-learning and formal education.
1) Which in your opinion is the more valuable method of learning and why?
2) Do you think Larsen and Hump learn from each others very different upbringings. Support your answer with two examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following statement using two examples from the novel to support your argument: The situations in the novel become increasingly unbelievable.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Jack London's writing style.
1) What are the elements of writing style?
2) What is London's writing style?
3) What meaning does London's style give to the book.
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)