|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does hunting become dangerous?
2. Who does the narrator say were always about him?
3. How many days away is Japan?
4. What is the name of the ferry steamer?
5. With his new device who does the captain say can now navigate the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hump and Brewster to do to survive Larsen's brutality?
2. What does Hump realize is the only factor considered aboard the ship?
3. Why do you think Larsen pursued Johnson and Leach?
4. Describe the rescued ship.
5. How does Mudgride attack on Larsen affect Larsen?
6. Describe what a slop chest is.
7. How do Hump's presumptions about Larsen prove embarrassing in chapter 7?
8. Why do you think Larsen finds Hump an interesting person to talk to?
9. How is Mugridge's philosophy materialistic?
10. How does Hump fee about Maude Brewster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
London uses a number characters from different areas of the world including Scandinavia, Hawaii, USA and Britain.
How accurate do you think London's representations of these cultures are? Do you think he subverts stereotypes? Are some representations more negative or positive than others?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Jack London's writing style.
1) What are the elements of writing style?
2) What is London's writing style?
3) What meaning does London's style give to the book.
Essay Topic 3
Imagine you are stranded on a small islet. How do you think you would survive? What would you have done differently to Brewster and Hump?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)