|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who skippers the Macedonia?
2. How long does the captain's headache last?
3. Where does Charley Furuthseth keep a cottage?
4. What does Larsen ask Hump to do in exchange for not killing Leach and Johnson?
5. What does the narrator say knowing Larsen helps him understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mudgride attack on Larsen affect Larsen?
2. How does Larsen behave after the mutiny?
3. Why do you think Larsen finds Hump an interesting person to talk to?
4. How is Mugridge's philosophy materialistic?
5. What problems do you think Maude Brewster appearance could cause?
6. What is Hump's reaction to finding literature in Larsen's cabin?
7. How does Hump take to the rest of the crew?
8. How has Larsen's upbringing shaped him as a person?
9. How is Larsen's cruel nature illustrated in this chapter?
10. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's plot structure.
1) What is the premise of the novel? Does London stick closely to the premise?
2) What problems do the characters have to solve? How do they solve them?
3) Do you think the book concludes satisfactorily?
Essay Topic 2
What difference do you think Brewster's introduction makes to the story? What do you would of happened if Brewster was not introduced into the story?
Essay Topic 3
Imagine you are stranded on a small islet. How do you think you would survive? What would you have done differently to Brewster and Hump?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)