|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What member of the crew does the narrator say he hates?
2. Who does the narrator say were always about him?
3. What do the crew spot in the water?
4. What desire does the narrator say he experiences for the first time?
5. Where does Charley Furuthseth keep a cottage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Larsen behave after the mutiny?
2. In what ways does Hump compare the sailors to women?
3. How does Mudgride attack on Larsen affect Larsen?
4. How is chapter 14 a major turning point in the narrative?
5. In what way does Hump admire Johnson?
6. What do Hump and Brewster to do to survive Larsen's brutality?
7. Why do you think Larsen finds Hump an interesting person to talk to?
8. How are Larsen and Hump views on the battle with nature different?
9. Describe Hump.
10. How is Death Larsen more powerful than his brother's boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Study Jack London's life. How much of the story do you think comes from personal experience? Do you think any of the characters in the book are based on anyone in London's life or even London himself?
Essay Topic 2
Using two examples from the book discuss the following discuss the following statement; Sea-Wolf is an attack on Nietzsche's super-man philosophy.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's plot structure.
1) What is the premise of the novel? Does London stick closely to the premise?
2) What problems do the characters have to solve? How do they solve them?
3) Do you think the book concludes satisfactorily?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)