|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say the Ghost was built for?
2. How many boats are there?
3. What does Hump see in Larsen's eyes?
4. What does the narrator say the stout gentlemen is reading?
5. When did Johansen last write to his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Hump compare the sailors to women?
2. How is Larsen's cruel nature illustrated in this chapter?
3. How are Larsen and Hump views on the battle with nature different?
4. How does London use the biting in chapter 21 as a metaphor?
5. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
6. How does Hump fee about Maude Brewster?
7. What do Hump and Brewster to do to survive Larsen's brutality?
8. How is Death Larsen more powerful than his brother's boat?
9. Why does Larsen think life is without value?
10. What problems do you think Maude Brewster appearance could cause?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine you are stranded on a small islet. How do you think you would survive? What would you have done differently to Brewster and Hump?
Essay Topic 2
Study Jack London's life. How much of the story do you think comes from personal experience? Do you think any of the characters in the book are based on anyone in London's life or even London himself?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the differences between self-learning and formal education.
1) Which in your opinion is the more valuable method of learning and why?
2) Do you think Larsen and Hump learn from each others very different upbringings. Support your answer with two examples from the book.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)