|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say he is suffering from?
2. What does Hump say will happen if he tries to change things?
3. What do the crew spot in the water?
4. What does Leach ask Hump the bearing for?
5. How long do Johnson and Leach pursue them for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hump feel about Larsen spending so much time with Brewster?
2. What problems do you think Maude Brewster appearance could cause?
3. How does Hump fee about Maude Brewster?
4. What is Hump's reaction to finding literature in Larsen's cabin?
5. How has Larsen's upbringing shaped him as a person?
6. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
7. In what ways does Hump compare the sailors to women?
8. How is Larsen's cruel nature illustrated in this chapter?
9. How are Larsen and Hump views on the battle with nature different?
10. What does Hump realize is the only factor considered aboard the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Ghost ship and its layout. Choose one of ship scene from the book and discuss how the setting contributes to the meaning of the scene.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the differences between self-learning and formal education.
1) Which in your opinion is the more valuable method of learning and why?
2) Do you think Larsen and Hump learn from each others very different upbringings. Support your answer with two examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dialogue used in the book. How does London express the differences in education between the characters? Do you think the dialogue represents the characters accurately?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)