|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Larsen want to keep Brewster aboard as?
2. What does Johansen tell Harrison to do?
3. What does the narrator say the sea becomes like by eleven o'clock?
4. What is leach and Johnson only alternative to capsizing?
5. What does Larsen philosophize about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What position do you think the Islet is that Hump and Brewster arrive at?
2. Do you think London is inconsistent with Hump's character in this chapter?
3. How is the blind Larsen still a formidable force?
4. Why does Larsen think life is without value?
5. In what way does Hump admire Johnson?
6. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
7. How does Mudgride attack on Larsen affect Larsen?
8. How does Hump fee about Maude Brewster?
9. Do you think Hump is worried about their survival?
10. Why do you think Larsen pursued Johnson and Leach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Hump and Larsen. How do their views differ? Are there any similarities between the two characters? Why do you think they both fall for for Brewster?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dialogue used in the book. How does London express the differences in education between the characters? Do you think the dialogue represents the characters accurately?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the Ghost crew's mutiny does not work? How does the mutiny change the story? What do you think would have happened if the crew's mutiny was successful?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)