|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Johnson and Leach by the end of the chapter?
2. How many days away is Japan?
3. Which two crew members are the two particular members of Larsen's diabolic temper?
4. Who does Larsen take his anger out on?
5. What does Brewster urge Hump to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does London use the biting in chapter 21 as a metaphor?
2. How is Larsen's cruel nature illustrated in this chapter?
3. Describe Hump.
4. In what ways does Hump compare the sailors to women?
5. Why do you think Larsen pursued Johnson and Leach?
6. How does Mugridge's attitude change towards Hump?
7. Describe what a slop chest is.
8. Describe the rescued ship.
9. How is chapter 14 a major turning point in the narrative?
10. How do Hump's presumptions about Larsen prove embarrassing in chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following statement using two examples from the novel to support your argument: The situations in the novel become increasingly unbelievable.
Essay Topic 2
Imagine you are stranded on a small islet. How do you think you would survive? What would you have done differently to Brewster and Hump?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Jack London's writing style.
1) What are the elements of writing style?
2) What is London's writing style?
3) What meaning does London's style give to the book.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)