|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hump advise Brewster to do?
2. How long can Brewster expect to be aboard the ship?
3. What does the captain do while Leach and Johnson drown?
4. Where was Brewster's ship heading for?
5. What does the narrator liken himself to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what different ways are Larsen and Hump attracted to Brewster?
2. How is Larsen's cruel nature illustrated in this chapter?
3. How does Mudgride attack on Larsen affect Larsen?
4. How does Hump take to the rest of the crew?
5. Describe what a slop chest is.
6. How is Death Larsen more powerful than his brother's boat?
7. Describe Hump.
8. How do Hump's presumptions about Larsen prove embarrassing in chapter 7?
9. Describe the rescued ship.
10. Why does Larsen think life is without value?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine you are stranded on a small islet. How do you think you would survive? What would you have done differently to Brewster and Hump?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do you think that Hump idealizes Brewster? What do these ideals say about Hump's character? How different do you think Brewster is to Hump's ideal woman?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's plot structure.
1) What is the premise of the novel? Does London stick closely to the premise?
2) What problems do the characters have to solve? How do they solve them?
3) Do you think the book concludes satisfactorily?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)