|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leach tell Hump to do?
2. Who does the narrator say Larsen is worse off than?
3. What is leach and Johnson only alternative to capsizing?
4. What kind of boat does the captain have?
5. What does Larsen philosophize about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the islet.
2. How does Wolf Larsen make up for his boat's lack of power?
3. How does Hump overcome Larsen's destruction of his work?
4. How is the blind Larsen still a formidable force?
5. What do Hump and Brewster to do to survive Larsen's brutality?
6. Describe Hump.
7. Describe what a slop chest is.
8. Why does Larsen think life is without value?
9. Describe Hump's 'rigging effort'?
10. How has Larsen's upbringing shaped him as a person?
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do you think that Hump idealizes Brewster? What do these ideals say about Hump's character? How different do you think Brewster is to Hump's ideal woman?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the differences between self-learning and formal education.
1) Which in your opinion is the more valuable method of learning and why?
2) Do you think Larsen and Hump learn from each others very different upbringings. Support your answer with two examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Study Jack London's life. How much of the story do you think comes from personal experience? Do you think any of the characters in the book are based on anyone in London's life or even London himself?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)