|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many boats are there?
2. What does the captain do while Leach and Johnson drown?
3. What does Brewster urge Hump to do?
4. How long can Brewster expect to be aboard the ship?
5. How does the narrator describe Wolf Larsen's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Larsen and Hump views on the battle with nature different?
2. In what ways does Hump compare the sailors to women?
3. In what different ways are Larsen and Hump attracted to Brewster?
4. How is Death Larsen more powerful than his brother's boat?
5. Why does Larsen think life is without value?
6. How is chapter 14 a major turning point in the narrative?
7. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
8. Why do you think Larsen finds Hump an interesting person to talk to?
9. How does Hump feel about Larsen spending so much time with Brewster?
10. How does Mudgride attack on Larsen affect Larsen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dialogue used in the book. How does London express the differences in education between the characters? Do you think the dialogue represents the characters accurately?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting. What was happening in the USA during the time the novel was set? Are these concerns reflected in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Jack London's writing style.
1) What are the elements of writing style?
2) What is London's writing style?
3) What meaning does London's style give to the book.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)