|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Cook's full name?
2. What does the narrator say the stout gentlemen is reading?
3. Who does Larsen become possessive of?
4. What does the captain do while Leach and Johnson drown?
5. Which character talks in his sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brewster's prediction that someone is coming go against her character?
2. In waht way could the reader see Larsen victorious over Hump?
3. What do Hump and Brewster to do to survive Larsen's brutality?
4. What happens to Brewster and Hump's boat once they take for the seas?
5. How does Hump learn how to kill the seals?
6. How is chapter 14 a major turning point in the narrative?
7. In what ways is Hump's lack of experience a severe disadvantage when he escapes the Ghost with Brewster?
8. Do you think it is strange that the Ghost appears on tn the shore?
9. In what different ways are Larsen and Hump attracted to Brewster?
10. How is Death Larsen more powerful than his brother's boat?
Essay Topic 1
In the novel London shows how important it is to work as a member of a team. Discuss the importance of teamwork. What are the differences between leaders and followers? How can a team work well with a variety of individuals? Do you think the crew on the Ghost work well together?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's plot structure.
1) What is the premise of the novel? Does London stick closely to the premise?
2) What problems do the characters have to solve? How do they solve them?
3) Do you think the book concludes satisfactorily?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Jack London's writing style.
1) What are the elements of writing style?
2) What is London's writing style?
3) What meaning does London's style give to the book.
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)