|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator liken himself to?
2. What does the narrator say he has never placed placed proper value upon?
3. What is the Cook's full name?
4. What does Hump say will happen if he tries to change things?
5. What does Johansen tell Harrison to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mugridge's attitude change towards Hump?
2. Why do you think Brewster so readily agrees to Hump's suggestion that she stays with Larsen to keep him calm?
3. How is Mugridge's philosophy materialistic?
4. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
5. Describe the rescued ship.
6. How does London use the biting in chapter 21 as a metaphor?
7. How is chapter 14 a major turning point in the narrative?
8. Describe what a slop chest is.
9. In what ways does Hump compare the sailors to women?
10. Why do you think Larsen pursued Johnson and Leach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what is meant by a materialist and idealist. Which one of the two do you think you are?
Essay Topic 2
London uses a number characters from different areas of the world including Scandinavia, Hawaii, USA and Britain.
How accurate do you think London's representations of these cultures are? Do you think he subverts stereotypes? Are some representations more negative or positive than others?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of Hump. What do you think the goal of his is? Does his character change as the novel progresses? Do you think Hump achieves his goal?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)