|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Wolf Larsen's eyes?
2. What does the narrator see Larsen reading?
3. Who does Charley Furuthseth read to rest his brain?
4. What relation is Death Larsen to Wolf Larsen?
5. Who does Larsen exclude from his table?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Larsen behave after the mutiny?
2. How is Death Larsen more powerful than his brother's boat?
3. In what ways does Hump compare the sailors to women?
4. Describe what a slop chest is.
5. Why does Larsen think life is without value?
6. How is Larsen's cruel nature illustrated in this chapter?
7. How does Hump feel about Larsen spending so much time with Brewster?
8. How does Hump fee about Maude Brewster?
9. Why does Hump think that Brewster needs protecting?
10. What do Hump and Brewster to do to survive Larsen's brutality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character of Hump. What do you think the goal of his is? Does his character change as the novel progresses? Do you think Hump achieves his goal?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Ghost ship and its layout. Choose one of ship scene from the book and discuss how the setting contributes to the meaning of the scene.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what is meant by a materialist and idealist. Which one of the two do you think you are?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)