|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the boat called the hunters see in the distance?
2. What reason does Hump give Larsen for why the men are behaving so badly?
3. How does the narrator say the sailors now see the Ghost after the attempted mutiny?
4. What does the captain ask the hunters for?
5. Who does Larsen become possessive of?
Short Essay Questions
1. In why has Hump's personal philosophy changed?
2. Describe Hump.
3. How does Mudgride attack on Larsen affect Larsen?
4. What problems do you think Maude Brewster appearance could cause?
5. How is Hump and Brewster arrival on the islet timely?
6. In what could you construe Larsen as a pure character?
7. Describe the fight between Hump and Larsen in chapter 26
8. How does Brewster's prediction that someone is coming go against her character?
9. Describe Hump and Brewster's hut.
10. In waht way could the reader see Larsen victorious over Hump?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Ghost ship and its layout. Choose one of ship scene from the book and discuss how the setting contributes to the meaning of the scene.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of Hump. What do you think the goal of his is? Does his character change as the novel progresses? Do you think Hump achieves his goal?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the role of a ship's captain? Does Larsen fulfill this role?
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)