|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Larsen take his anger out on?
2. What position does the captain give the narrator?
3. Who does the narrator say the seal slaughter is for?
4. Who does Hump recognize Maud Brewster as?
5. What does the narrator say his task is during the slaughter of the seals?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mugridge's philosophy materialistic?
2. How is Larsen's cruel nature illustrated in this chapter?
3. Why do you think Larsen finds Hump an interesting person to talk to?
4. In what way does Hump admire Johnson?
5. How are Larsen and Hump views on the battle with nature different?
6. Describe Hump.
7. How is Death Larsen more powerful than his brother's boat?
8. How does Mugridge's attitude change towards Hump?
9. How does Hump take to the rest of the crew?
10. How is chapter 14 a major turning point in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the Ghost crew's mutiny does not work? How does the mutiny change the story? What do you think would have happened if the crew's mutiny was successful?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is the role of a ship's captain? Does Larsen fulfill this role?
Essay Topic 3
Imagine you are stranded on a small islet. How do you think you would survive? What would you have done differently to Brewster and Hump?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)