|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Larsen angry?
2. How long has Hump admired her work for?
3. How long does the captain's headache last?
4. What ocean is the Ghost sailing across?
5. What two people does Hump watch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Larsen's cruel nature illustrated in this chapter?
2. Why do you think Larsen finds Hump an interesting person to talk to?
3. How does Larsen behave after the mutiny?
4. Why does Larsen think life is without value?
5. Why does Hump think that Brewster needs protecting?
6. How is Mugridge's philosophy materialistic?
7. How has Larsen's upbringing shaped him as a person?
8. In what ways does Hump compare the sailors to women?
9. Describe Hump.
10. Why do you think Brewster so readily agrees to Hump's suggestion that she stays with Larsen to keep him calm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the differences between self-learning and formal education.
1) Which in your opinion is the more valuable method of learning and why?
2) Do you think Larsen and Hump learn from each others very different upbringings. Support your answer with two examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting. What was happening in the USA during the time the novel was set? Are these concerns reflected in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is your opinion on seal hunting? Do you think it should be banned?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)