|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is leach and Johnson only alternative to capsizing?
2. What is the boat called the hunters see in the distance?
3. What does Larsen ask the cook to be careful of?
4. Who does the narrator say the seal slaughter is for?
5. What ocean is the Ghost sailing across?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what different ways are Larsen and Hump attracted to Brewster?
2. How does Mugridge's attitude change towards Hump?
3. How is chapter 14 a major turning point in the narrative?
4. What is Hump's reaction to finding literature in Larsen's cabin?
5. Why do you think Larsen finds Hump an interesting person to talk to?
6. How is Larsen's cruel nature illustrated in this chapter?
7. How is Mugridge's philosophy materialistic?
8. Describe what a slop chest is.
9. How does Hump take to the rest of the crew?
10. How has Larsen's upbringing shaped him as a person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the Ghost crew's mutiny does not work? How does the mutiny change the story? What do you think would have happened if the crew's mutiny was successful?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Hump and Larsen. How do their views differ? Are there any similarities between the two characters? Why do you think they both fall for for Brewster?
Essay Topic 3
What difference do you think Brewster's introduction makes to the story? What do you would of happened if Brewster was not introduced into the story?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)