|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What member of the crew does the narrator say he hates?
2. Why has Johnson collided with Larsen?
3. What does Hump say happens if he does nothing?
4. Who does Hump recognize Maud Brewster as?
5. What does the narrator say Harrison gives the appearance of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hump take to the rest of the crew?
2. In what different ways are Larsen and Hump attracted to Brewster?
3. Describe Hump.
4. Why do you think Larsen pursued Johnson and Leach?
5. Describe what a slop chest is.
6. How does Mugridge's attitude change towards Hump?
7. In what ways does Hump compare the sailors to women?
8. Why do you think Brewster so readily agrees to Hump's suggestion that she stays with Larsen to keep him calm?
9. Why does Larsen think life is without value?
10. How are Larsen and Hump views on the battle with nature different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Jack London's writing style.
1) What are the elements of writing style?
2) What is London's writing style?
3) What meaning does London's style give to the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Ghost ship and its layout. Choose one of ship scene from the book and discuss how the setting contributes to the meaning of the scene.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what is meant by a materialist and idealist. Which one of the two do you think you are?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)