|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Larsen ask Hump to do in exchange for not killing Leach and Johnson?
2. What does Hump advise Brewster to do?
3. What does the captain do while Leach and Johnson drown?
4. What is the Cook's full name?
5. What does the narrator say he sees leaning out of the pilot house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hump's reaction to finding literature in Larsen's cabin?
2. How are Larsen and Hump views on the battle with nature different?
3. How does Hump fee about Maude Brewster?
4. How is Larsen's cruel nature illustrated in this chapter?
5. Describe Hump.
6. How is Death Larsen more powerful than his brother's boat?
7. How does Mugridge's attitude change towards Hump?
8. In what ways does Hump compare the sailors to women?
9. What do Hump and Brewster to do to survive Larsen's brutality?
10. In what way does Hump admire Johnson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dialogue used in the book. How does London express the differences in education between the characters? Do you think the dialogue represents the characters accurately?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of Hump. What do you think the goal of his is? Does his character change as the novel progresses? Do you think Hump achieves his goal?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the Ghost crew's mutiny does not work? How does the mutiny change the story? What do you think would have happened if the crew's mutiny was successful?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)