|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Johansen know his mother his still alive?
2. What does Brewster urge Hump to do?
3. Who does Hump recognize Maud Brewster as?
4. With his new device who does the captain say can now navigate the ship?
5. Where was Brewster's ship heading for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Larsen and Hump views on the battle with nature different?
2. How is chapter 14 a major turning point in the narrative?
3. How is Mugridge's philosophy materialistic?
4. Describe Hump.
5. What problems do you think Maude Brewster appearance could cause?
6. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
7. How does Hump fee about Maude Brewster?
8. How does Mugridge's attitude change towards Hump?
9. In what different ways are Larsen and Hump attracted to Brewster?
10. Describe the rescued ship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following statement using two examples from the novel to support your argument: The situations in the novel become increasingly unbelievable.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Hump and Larsen. How do their views differ? Are there any similarities between the two characters? Why do you think they both fall for for Brewster?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's plot structure.
1) What is the premise of the novel? Does London stick closely to the premise?
2) What problems do the characters have to solve? How do they solve them?
3) Do you think the book concludes satisfactorily?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)