|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One does Hump say Larsen is a culmination of?
2. Who does Leach ask Hump to find for him back in San Francisco?
3. What member of the crew is clinging to his life?
4. Who does Charley Furuthseth read to rest his brain?
5. How does the narrator say the sailors now see the Ghost after the attempted mutiny?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the rescued ship.
2. Describe Hump and Brewster's hut.
3. In what way does Hump admire Johnson?
4. How does Ghost's attack on the Macedonia put them on an even keel?
5. How does Wolf Larsen make up for his boat's lack of power?
6. What is Hump's reaction to finding literature in Larsen's cabin?
7. Why does Larsen think life is without value?
8. In waht way could the reader see Larsen victorious over Hump?
9. Describe Hump's 'rigging effort'?
10. How is Mugridge's philosophy materialistic?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's plot structure.
1) What is the premise of the novel? Does London stick closely to the premise?
2) What problems do the characters have to solve? How do they solve them?
3) Do you think the book concludes satisfactorily?
Essay Topic 2
Study Jack London's life. How much of the story do you think comes from personal experience? Do you think any of the characters in the book are based on anyone in London's life or even London himself?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Hump and Larsen. How do their views differ? Are there any similarities between the two characters? Why do you think they both fall for for Brewster?
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)