|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What member of the crew is clinging to his life?
2. How does the narrator say the captain suffers?
3. What does the narrator say he has never placed placed proper value upon?
4. What is the Cook's full name?
5. Which two men shoot at the deserters?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what different ways are Larsen and Hump attracted to Brewster?
2. What problems do you think Maude Brewster appearance could cause?
3. How does Larsen behave after the mutiny?
4. Describe the rescued ship.
5. In what ways does Hump compare the sailors to women?
6. How do Hump's presumptions about Larsen prove embarrassing in chapter 7?
7. How does Mugridge's attitude change towards Hump?
8. Why does Hump think that Brewster needs protecting?
9. What does Hump realize is the only factor considered aboard the ship?
10. In what way does Hump admire Johnson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
London uses a number characters from different areas of the world including Scandinavia, Hawaii, USA and Britain.
How accurate do you think London's representations of these cultures are? Do you think he subverts stereotypes? Are some representations more negative or positive than others?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Hump and Larsen. How do their views differ? Are there any similarities between the two characters? Why do you think they both fall for for Brewster?
Essay Topic 3
Imagine you are stranded on a small islet. How do you think you would survive? What would you have done differently to Brewster and Hump?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)