|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hump do when he sees the Ghost?
(a) He blacks out
(b) He hides
(c) He runs for his gun
(d) He cries for joy
2. What do Brewster and Hump complete at the beginning of the chapter?
(a) A kiss
(b) The rigging
(c) The stone hut
(d) Larsens coffin
3. How many Macedonia boats do the Ghost boats open fire on?
4. What does Larsen give the wounded sailors?
(a) A beating
5. What does Hump devise a plan to do?
(a) Re-rig the ship
(b) Have a party
(c) Kill Larsen
(d) Kill more seals
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hump not express to Brewster?
2. What does Hump construct in this chapter?
3. How does Hump help Larsen to communicate?
4. What does Brewster see in the distance?
5. What does Larsen do when Brewster and Hump come aboard to inspect the damp?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Hump achieved the goal London set for him at the beginning of the novel?
2. In what ways is Hump's lack of experience a severe disadvantage when he escapes the Ghost with Brewster?
3. How does Ghost's attack on the Macedonia put them on an even keel?
4. Describe Hump and Brewster's hut.
5. In what way do Hump and Brewster unknowingly fail the now dead Larsen?
6. Why is Larsen alone?
7. What happens to Brewster and Hump's boat once they take for the seas?
8. Describe the technical detail goes into when Hump erects the shears.
9. In what could you construe Larsen as a pure character?
10. In what does the ending reflect the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)