|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hump start a fire?
(a) With a shotgun shell
(b) With two pieces of flint
(c) With his cigarette lighter
(d) With a stick
2. What does Hump discover has happens when he awakens?
(a) He is tied to the bed
(b) He is bleeding
(c) Brewster has had a baby
(d) Larsen is dead
3. What mast do Hump and Brewster manage to step?
(a) The first mast
(b) The third mast
(c) The second mast
(d) The center mast
4. Where does Brewster spend the night?
(a) In the beached boat
(b) Under a tree
(c) On the sand
(d) On a rock
5. What does Brewster use to maintain a fire?
(b) The boat's sail
(d) Seal oil
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offered Larsen's men more money?
2. What does Hump think was a symptom of Larsen's current problem?
3. Which of the following does Brewster say about Larsen?
4. What sea does Hump think they are in?
5. What does Hump do when the wind picks up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the islet.
2. How do you think Hump's love for Brewster help him survive?
3. Do you think London is inconsistent with Hump's character in this chapter?
4. In what could you construe Larsen as a pure character?
5. Describe the technical detail goes into when Hump erects the shears.
6. In why has Hump's personal philosophy changed?
7. In what does the ending reflect the beginning of the novel?
8. How does Brewster's prediction that someone is coming go against her character?
9. What happens to Brewster and Hump's boat once they take for the seas?
10. Describe Hump and Brewster's hut.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)