|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hump help Larsen to communicate?
(a) Teaches him makaton
(b) Develops a new language consisting of groans
(c) Gives him paper and a pen
(d) Teaches him sign language
2. What happens to Larsen during this time
(a) He goes deaf
(b) He becomes paralyzed along one side of his body
(c) He dies
(d) He contracts the scurvy
3. Where does Brewster spend the night?
(a) In the beached boat
(b) On a rock
(c) On the sand
(d) Under a tree
4. What do Brewster and Hump do while Brewster blindly tries to catch them?
(b) Watch on holding hands
(c) Hit him with a seal club
(d) Leave the ship quietly
5. What has Hump forgotten?
(a) Knives and forks
Short Answer Questions
1. What eventually happens to the boat?
2. What do Brewster and Hump manage to complete in this chapter?
3. What does Hump instruct Brewster on?
4. Why did Hump not sleep an in adequate enclosure for so long?
5. How does the Macedonia respond to the attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what has Hump gained power over Larsen?
2. Describe the technical detail goes into when Hump erects the shears.
3. Do you think it is strange that the Ghost appears on tn the shore?
4. How do Hump's thoughts reflect the nature of the long journey?
5. How is the blind Larsen still a formidable force?
6. Describe Hump and Brewster's hut.
7. Describe Hump's 'rigging effort'?
8. How does Ghost's attack on the Macedonia put them on an even keel?
9. In waht way could the reader see Larsen victorious over Hump?
10. How has Hump achieved the goal London set for him at the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)