|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Johansen leave Sweden?
2. What reason does Hump give Larsen for why the men are behaving so badly?
(a) A lack of food
(b) Too many hours working
(c) Larsen's domineering nature
(d) Cabin fever
3. What does the narrator say Harrison gives the appearance of?
(a) A enormous spider
(b) A snake
(c) A tiny fly
(d) A scorpion
4. Who do the captain and Hump find on the look out?
5. What is the boat called the hunters see in the distance?
(a) The Georgian
(b) King Edward
(c) The Macedonia
(d) The Moldova
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say his task is during the slaughter of the seals?
2. Which two crew members are the two particular members of Larsen's diabolic temper?
3. How does the narrator say Larsen treats his men?
4. What desire does the narrator say he experiences for the first time?
5. Which character talks in his sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Brewster so readily agrees to Hump's suggestion that she stays with Larsen to keep him calm?
2. How is Mugridge's philosophy materialistic?
3. What does Hump realize is the only factor considered aboard the ship?
4. Describe the rescued ship.
5. How is chapter 14 a major turning point in the narrative?
6. What is Hump's reaction to finding literature in Larsen's cabin?
7. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
8. Why does Hump think that Brewster needs protecting?
9. Describe what a slop chest is.
10. How does Hump feel about Larsen spending so much time with Brewster?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)