|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator see Larsen reading?
(a) Fear and Trembling
(b) Das Capital
(c) The bible
(d) Ecco Homo
2. Which two crew members are the two particular members of Larsen's diabolic temper?
(a) Harrison and Johnson
(b) Johnson and Holyoak
(c) Hump and Leach
(d) Leach and Johnson
3. Why is Larsen angry?
(a) The food is horrible
(b) The ship has been blown off course
(c) He has a headache
(d) Hump has taken Maud's attention away from him
4. How does the narrator say the captain suffers?
(a) As wild animals do
(b) Like a runover cat
(c) Like a clubbed seal
(d) Like a man stricken with consumption
5. What does Larsen philosophize about?
(a) His brother's behavior
(b) Seal hunting
(d) His own death
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hump say happens if he does nothing?
2. How does the narrator describe Wolf Larsen's eyes?
3. How long does the captain's headache last?
4. What is the boat called the hunters see in the distance?
5. What ocean is the Ghost sailing across?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the rescued ship.
2. How is chapter 14 a major turning point in the narrative?
3. How do Hump's presumptions about Larsen prove embarrassing in chapter 7?
4. In what way does Hump admire Johnson?
5. Why do you think Brewster so readily agrees to Hump's suggestion that she stays with Larsen to keep him calm?
6. Why does Hump think that Brewster needs protecting?
7. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
8. In what ways does Hump compare the sailors to women?
9. What do Hump and Brewster to do to survive Larsen's brutality?
10. What problems do you think Maude Brewster appearance could cause?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)