|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say his task is during the slaughter of the seals?
(a) To skin the seals
(b) To cook seal soup
(c) To tally the pelts
(d) To reel in the seals
2. What does Johansen tell Harrison to do?
(a) Steer the boat
(b) Fetch the captain
(c) Go out the halyards
(d) Raise the mast
3. What does the narrator say the stout gentlemen is reading?
(a) The New York Times
(b) The Ferry Boater
(c) The Atlantic
(d) The Fisherman
4. What does the narrator hear Larsen groaning?
(a) God! God! God!
(b) The devil has my soul
(c) Cleanse my soul
(d) Jesus save me
5. What does the narrator tell the captain he does for a living?
(a) He is a construction worker.
(b) He is a student
(c) He is a gentleman
(d) He is a writer
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator say the seal slaughter is for?
2. How long has Hump admired her work for?
3. What does Hump see in Larsen's eyes?
4. Where does Charley Furuthseth keep a cottage?
5. What does Hump advise Brewster to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Hump admire Johnson?
2. How does Hump feel about Larsen spending so much time with Brewster?
3. Describe Hump's 'rigging effort'?
4. Do you think London is inconsistent with Hump's character in this chapter?
5. In what does Larsen attempt to kill Hump finish him off?
6. In what could you construe Larsen as a pure character?
7. How does Hump fee about Maude Brewster?
8. Why do you think Larsen finds Hump an interesting person to talk to?
9. How is Mugridge's philosophy materialistic?
10. Describe the islet.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)