|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say Johnson is guilty of doing?
(a) Speaking his mind
(d) Stealing food
2. How does the narrator say the captain suffers?
(a) Like a clubbed seal
(b) Like a man stricken with consumption
(c) As wild animals do
(d) Like a runover cat
3. What does Mugridge do to Larsen?
(a) Punches him in the groin
(b) Spits in his face
(c) Bites his leg
(d) Stamps on his foot
4. What Japanese islands does the Ghost arrive at?
5. Who does Larsen become possessive of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hump say Brewster's body is the finished product of?
2. What relation is Death Larsen to Wolf Larsen?
3. At what age did Johansen leave Sweden?
4. Who does Charley Furuthseth read to rest his brain?
5. What does the narrator say knowing Larsen helps him understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Larsen's cruel nature illustrated in this chapter?
2. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
3. What does Hump realize is the only factor considered aboard the ship?
4. How is Mugridge's philosophy materialistic?
5. In what ways does Hump compare the sailors to women?
6. How are Larsen and Hump views on the battle with nature different?
7. How has Larsen's upbringing shaped him as a person?
8. What do Hump and Brewster to do to survive Larsen's brutality?
9. Describe what a slop chest is.
10. Why do you think Brewster so readily agrees to Hump's suggestion that she stays with Larsen to keep him calm?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)