|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Johansen know his mother his still alive?
(a) He met her in Brazil
(b) She is never ill and still young
(c) He met a fellow townsman in Chile
(d) She sent him a letter
2. How long do Johnson and Leach pursue them for?
(a) Ten hours
(b) Two hours
(c) Four hours
(d) Three hours
3. Where are the life preservers stored?
(a) In the cabin
(b) In the hold
(c) Below deck
(d) In the rescue boats
4. What does the narrator say knowing Larsen helps him understand?
(b) Cabin fever
(c) Scandinavian myths
5. What does the narrator say the sea becomes like by eleven o'clock?
(a) Like marble
(b) Like glass
(c) Like cling film
(d) Like foil
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Leach ask Hump to find for him back in San Francisco?
2. Who does the narrator say Larsen is worse off than?
3. What is the Cook's full name?
4. Which two crew members are the two particular members of Larsen's diabolic temper?
5. What does the narrator say the stout gentlemen is reading?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Larsen finds Hump an interesting person to talk to?
2. Why does Larsen think life is without value?
3. In what ways does Hump compare the sailors to women?
4. Describe what a slop chest is.
5. How does Hump fee about Maude Brewster?
6. What does Hump realize is the only factor considered aboard the ship?
7. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
8. How does Hump take to the rest of the crew?
9. In what different ways are Larsen and Hump attracted to Brewster?
10. How is Larsen's cruel nature illustrated in this chapter?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)