|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Johnson and Leach by the end of the chapter?
(a) They escape
(b) They drown
(c) They are saved by a passing ship
(d) Larsen captures them
2. How does the narrator say the captain suffers?
(a) As wild animals do
(b) Like a clubbed seal
(c) Like a man stricken with consumption
(d) Like a runover cat
3. What does Leach ask Hump the bearing for?
4. What ocean is the Ghost sailing across?
(a) The Pacific
(b) The Atlantic
(c) The Southern
(d) The Indian
5. Who skippers the Macedonia?
(a) Jack Black
(b) Death Larsen
(c) Iron Maiden
(d) Frank Black
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Johnson is guilty of doing?
2. What is the name of the ferry steamer?
3. What does the narrator see Larsen reading?
4. What does the narrator tell the captain he does for a living?
5. How does Johansen know his mother his still alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hump feel about Larsen spending so much time with Brewster?
2. How does Hump take to the rest of the crew?
3. In what could you construe Larsen as a pure character?
4. Describe Hump's 'rigging effort'?
5. What position do you think the Islet is that Hump and Brewster arrive at?
6. How is Death Larsen more powerful than his brother's boat?
7. In what different ways are Larsen and Hump attracted to Brewster?
8. How does London use the biting in chapter 21 as a metaphor?
9. How is chapter 14 a major turning point in the narrative?
10. Describe the rescued ship.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)