|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leach tell Hump to do?
(a) Kill Larsen
(b) Leave the boat
(c) Go home
(d) Keep his mouth shut
2. What does Larsen ask the cook to be careful of?
(a) Fat content
(b) Storing the meat
(c) The quality of his cooking
(d) His health
3. Where does Charley Furuthseth keep a cottage?
(a) The Yorkshire Dales
(b) Mill Valley
(d) Sillicon Valley
4. With his new device who does the captain say can now navigate the ship?
(a) A child
(b) A woman
(c) A dog
5. What does the narrator hear Larsen groaning?
(a) God! God! God!
(b) Cleanse my soul
(c) Jesus save me
(d) The devil has my soul
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hump say happens if he does nothing?
2. Why does Larsen kick Hump?
3. What two people does Hump watch?
4. Which two crew members are the two particular members of Larsen's diabolic temper?
5. What kind of boat does the captain have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
2. What does Hump realize is the only factor considered aboard the ship?
3. How has Larsen's upbringing shaped him as a person?
4. How is Death Larsen more powerful than his brother's boat?
5. Describe what a slop chest is.
6. How does Hump feel about Larsen spending so much time with Brewster?
7. What do Hump and Brewster to do to survive Larsen's brutality?
8. How does Hump fee about Maude Brewster?
9. How are Larsen and Hump views on the battle with nature different?
10. How is Larsen's cruel nature illustrated in this chapter?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)