|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Johansen leave Sweden?
2. What does the narrator say that Larsen is?
(a) A materialist
(b) A socialist
(c) A womanizer
(d) A fascist
3. What does the captain do while Leach and Johnson drown?
(a) He put on a bet on how long it will take
(b) He throws the two men life jackets
(c) He sails away
(d) He laughs
4. With his new device who does the captain say can now navigate the ship?
(a) A dog
(c) A woman
(d) A child
5. What does Larsen ask Hump to do in exchange for not killing Leach and Johnson?
(a) Give him money
(b) To help him escape the ship
(c) Never to try and kill him
(d) To find him a wife
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leach tell Hump to do?
2. Who interrupts Brewster and Hump's conversation?
3. What does the narrator see Larsen reading?
4. Why is Larsen angry?
5. How long can Brewster expect to be aboard the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Larsen pursued Johnson and Leach?
2. Describe the rescued ship.
3. Describe the technical detail goes into when Hump erects the shears.
4. In what ways is Hump's lack of experience a severe disadvantage when he escapes the Ghost with Brewster?
5. Do you think Hump is worried about their survival?
6. In what does Larsen attempt to kill Hump finish him off?
7. In what does the ending reflect the beginning of the novel?
8. Describe Hump and Brewster's hut.
9. Do you think it is strange that the Ghost appears on tn the shore?
10. Why does Larsen think life is without value?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)