|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Johnson collided with Larsen?
(a) Larsen's bullying tactics
(b) Larsen's navigational skills
(c) The Cook's food
(d) The pronunciation of his name
2. What does the narrator say knowing Larsen helps him understand?
(b) Cabin fever
(c) Scandinavian myths
3. What happens to Johnson and Leach by the end of the chapter?
(a) Larsen captures them
(b) They are saved by a passing ship
(c) They drown
(d) They escape
4. How long has Hump admired her work for?
(a) Six months
(b) Seven years
(c) Two months
(d) Ten years
5. What does the narrator hear Larsen groaning?
(a) Cleanse my soul
(b) Jesus save me
(c) The devil has my soul
(d) God! God! God!
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say the stout gentlemen is reading?
2. What ocean is the Ghost sailing across?
3. What Japanese islands does the Ghost arrive at?
4. How does the narrator say the captain suffers?
5. Who approaches Hump on deck?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mugridge's attitude change towards Hump?
2. How does Mudgride attack on Larsen affect Larsen?
3. How does London use the biting in chapter 21 as a metaphor?
4. In what different ways are Larsen and Hump attracted to Brewster?
5. Describe Hump.
6. How does Hump feel about Larsen spending so much time with Brewster?
7. How do Hump's presumptions about Larsen prove embarrassing in chapter 7?
8. How is chapter 14 a major turning point in the narrative?
9. Do you think Hump survival of the torrid conditions is realistic?
10. Describe the rescued ship.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)