|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Hump and Brewster beach comb for?
(c) The spars and masts
(d) More seals
2. What mast do Hump and Brewster manage to step?
(a) The first mast
(b) The third mast
(c) The center mast
(d) The second mast
3. What do Larsen and Brewster talk about at dinner?
(a) The ethics of seal hunting
(b) The poetry of Emily Dickinson
(c) The nature of temptation and the soul
(d) How to navigate a ship
4. What are Hump and Brewster worried that Larsen will do?
(a) Rob them
(b) Hurt them
(c) Imprision them
(d) Talk to them
5. What happens to Larsen in the hold?
(a) He dies
(b) He develops boils
(c) His teeth begin to fall out
(d) He becomes completely paralysed
6. How does Hump start a fire?
(a) With a stick
(b) With his cigarette lighter
(c) With a shotgun shell
(d) With two pieces of flint
7. How much does Hump clear the beach by?
(a) A few feet
(b) An inch
(c) Five meters
(d) Half an inch
8. What subject does Larsen turn the conversation to?
(c) Seal hunting
9. What does Hump do for the first time in many weeks at the end of the chapter?
(a) Sleeps undercover
(b) Drinks clean, unsalty water
(c) Has an initimate conversation
(d) Plays marbles
10. What does Hump unsuccessfully try to build?
(a) A toilet
(b) A well
(c) A hut
(d) A tent
11. What do Brewster and Hump manage to complete in this chapter?
(a) Their marriage vows
(b) A seal skin roof
(c) The killing of every seal on the islet
12. Why is Hump initially worried?
(a) He thinks he saw Larsen
(b) He thinks they have run out of food
(c) He thinks they will run into rocks
(d) He thinks Brewster is dead
13. What does Hump devise a plan to do?
(a) Have a party
(b) Kill more seals
(c) Kill Larsen
(d) Re-rig the ship
14. Where does Larsen sleep whilst on the islet?
(a) In Brewster's bed
(b) In Hump's bed
(c) On his ship
(d) With the seals
15. What does Larsen do during the night?
(b) Imprisons Brewster
(c) Destroys the shears
(d) Go crazy
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Larsen's argument is based upon?
2. What do the men take along with their usual shot guns?
3. What kind of hut do Brewster and Hump build on the island?
4. What does Brewster see in the distance?
5. What do Hump and Brewster do to kill the seals when their ammunition runs out?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)