|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say the stout gentlemen is reading?
(a) The Fisherman
(b) The New York Times
(c) The Ferry Boater
(d) The Atlantic
2. Who does Leach ask Hump to find for him back in San Francisco?
(a) His mother
(b) His daughter
(c) His wife
(d) His father
3. At what age did Johansen leave Sweden?
4. Why does Larsen kick Hump?
(a) He threatens to leave the boat
(b) He spits in his face
(c) He refuses to work
(d) He throws the ashes into a wind
5. Who does Larsen exclude from his table?
(b) The seal hunters
6. What does the narrator say Harrison gives the appearance of?
(a) A tiny fly
(b) A scorpion
(c) A enormous spider
(d) A snake
7. What does Larsen philosophize about?
(a) Seal hunting
(c) His own death
(d) His brother's behavior
8. How does the narrator say the captain suffers?
(a) Like a man stricken with consumption
(b) As wild animals do
(c) Like a clubbed seal
(d) Like a runover cat
9. What happens to Mugridge before they pull him back on board?
(a) He drowns
(b) He escapes
(c) The rope strangles him
(d) A shark eats his feet
10. What is leach and Johnson only alternative to capsizing?
(a) To jump into the sea
(b) To stay close to the ship
(c) To rejoin the Ghost
(d) To throw there supplies aboard
11. What does Larsen want to keep Brewster aboard as?
(a) A cook
(b) A lover
(c) A mascot
(d) A slave
12. How many days away is Japan?
(a) Four days
(b) Two days
(c) A day
(d) Eight days
13. How does Johansen know his mother his still alive?
(a) She is never ill and still young
(b) He met a fellow townsman in Chile
(c) She sent him a letter
(d) He met her in Brazil
14. What does Leach tell Hump to do?
(a) Leave the boat
(b) Go home
(c) Keep his mouth shut
(d) Kill Larsen
15. Where are the life preservers stored?
(a) In the rescue boats
(b) In the hold
(c) Below deck
(d) In the cabin
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Johnson collided with Larsen?
2. Who does the narrator say Larsen is worse off than?
3. Who does the narrator say the seal slaughter is for?
4. What is the boat called the hunters see in the distance?
5. What does Hump see in Larsen's eyes?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)