|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Johansen tell Harrison to do?
(a) Steer the boat
(b) Raise the mast
(c) Go out the halyards
(d) Fetch the captain
2. Where are the life preservers stored?
(a) In the hold
(b) Below deck
(c) In the rescue boats
(d) In the cabin
3. Which two crew members are the two particular members of Larsen's diabolic temper?
(a) Johnson and Holyoak
(b) Hump and Leach
(c) Leach and Johnson
(d) Harrison and Johnson
4. What does the narrator say his task is during the slaughter of the seals?
(a) To tally the pelts
(b) To reel in the seals
(c) To skin the seals
(d) To cook seal soup
5. Who approaches Hump on deck?
6. What does Brewster urge Hump to do?
(a) Protect her
(b) Take decisive action
(c) Talk to the captain
(d) Leave the ship with her
7. When did Johansen last write to his mother?
(a) Two years ago
(b) Ten years ago
(c) Eight years ago
(d) Five years ago
8. What does Hump see in Larsen's eyes?
(b) The fires of hate
(c) A glow of lust
(d) A glow of love
9. What do the crew spot in the water?
(a) A dead body
(b) A whale
(c) Another ship
(d) A shark
10. What is the name of the ferry steamer?
(b) Lilly Pad
(d) San Fran Dan
11. Who does the narrator say the seal slaughter is for?
(b) The sailors
(c) The fashion industry
(d) The Japanese government
12. What reason does Hump give Larsen for why the men are behaving so badly?
(a) Larsen's domineering nature
(b) Cabin fever
(c) A lack of food
(d) Too many hours working
13. Why has Johnson collided with Larsen?
(a) Larsen's bullying tactics
(b) The Cook's food
(c) The pronunciation of his name
(d) Larsen's navigational skills
14. What two people does Hump watch?
(a) Holyoak and Larsen
(b) Kelly and Brewster
(c) Harrison and Johansen
(d) Brewster and Larsen
15. How does the narrator say the captain suffers?
(a) As wild animals do
(b) Like a clubbed seal
(c) Like a runover cat
(d) Like a man stricken with consumption
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charley Furuthseth keep a cottage?
2. Who does the narrator say were always about him?
3. What is leach and Johnson only alternative to capsizing?
4. What does the narrator say the sea becomes like by eleven o'clock?
5. What happens to Johnson and Leach by the end of the chapter?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)