|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position does the captain give the narrator?
(a) First mate
(c) Second mate
(d) Cabin boy
2. What desire does the narrator say he experiences for the first time?
3. Who does the narrator say were always about him?
(a) His dogs
(b) His mother and sisters
(d) The sailors
4. Why does Larsen kick Hump?
(a) He throws the ashes into a wind
(b) He spits in his face
(c) He threatens to leave the boat
(d) He refuses to work
5. What member of the crew does the narrator say he hates?
6. What does Larsen philosophize about?
(a) His own death
(b) Seal hunting
(d) His brother's behavior
7. Who does Larsen take his anger out on?
8. Who does Charley Furuthseth read to rest his brain?
(a) Roald Dahl
(b) Marx and Engels
(c) Nietzsche and Schopenhauser
9. At what age did Johansen leave Sweden?
10. What does Hump say happens if he does nothing?
(a) He survives
(b) People like him
(c) He dies
(d) He gets promoted
11. One does Hump say Larsen is a culmination of?
(a) All savagery
(b) The greatest loves
(c) All honorable maidens
(d) All the hate in the world
12. What direction does the Ghost now follow?
13. How long do Johnson and Leach pursue them for?
(a) Two hours
(b) Ten hours
(c) Three hours
(d) Four hours
14. How does the narrator say Larsen treats his men?
(a) Like slaves
(b) Like prisoners
(c) Like nothing
(d) Like children
15. Why does hunting become dangerous?
(a) Fog sets in
(b) Bears are roaming the islands
(c) The men are under attack from Japanese hunters
(d) The have lost their weapons
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leach tell Hump to do?
2. Who does Larsen become possessive of?
3. Where was Brewster's ship heading for?
4. What is the name of the ferry steamer?
5. Who does the narrator say Larsen is worse off than?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)