|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator say Larsen treats his men?
(a) Like prisoners
(b) Like children
(c) Like nothing
(d) Like slaves
2. What position does the captain give the narrator?
(b) First mate
(c) Cabin boy
(d) Second mate
3. What does Hump say will happen if he tries to change things?
(a) He gets beaten
(b) He dies
(c) He survives
(d) He becomes captain
4. What does Hump see in Larsen's eyes?
(b) The fires of hate
(c) A glow of lust
(d) A glow of love
5. What is the Cook's full name?
(a) Davide Johnson
(b) Thomas Mugridge
(c) Phillip Yonson
(d) Bill Mugridge
6. What does Hump advise Brewster to do?
(a) Keep near him
(b) Kill the captain
(c) Leave the ship
(d) Pretend to enjoy Larsen's company
7. What happens to Johnson and Leach by the end of the chapter?
(a) They escape
(b) They drown
(c) They are saved by a passing ship
(d) Larsen captures them
8. What is the name of the ferry steamer?
(b) Lilly Pad
(d) San Fran Dan
9. Who does Leach ask Hump to find for him back in San Francisco?
(a) His wife
(b) His mother
(c) His daughter
(d) His father
10. Who does Larsen exclude from his table?
(c) The seal hunters
11. Who does Hump recognize Maud Brewster as?
(a) His sister's friend
(b) A famous east coast poet
(c) A famous model
(d) A famous film star
12. How many days away is Japan?
(a) Two days
(b) A day
(c) Eight days
(d) Four days
13. What does the narrator say knowing Larsen helps him understand?
(a) Scandinavian myths
(b) Cabin fever
14. Who approaches Hump on deck?
15. What does the narrator hear Larsen groaning?
(a) The devil has my soul
(b) God! God! God!
(c) Jesus save me
(d) Cleanse my soul
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two men shoot at the deserters?
2. What does Hump say Brewster's body is the finished product of?
3. What Japanese islands does the Ghost arrive at?
4. Why does Larsen kick Hump?
5. What does the narrator say he sees leaning out of the pilot house?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)