Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
• In 1893, Humphrey "Hump" Van Weyden, the narrator, travels aboard the ferry-steamer Martinez to San Francisco.
• From the dense fog bank another ship emerges. The Martinez attempts a last-minute evasive maneuver to no avail, and the larger ship bears down and collides into the Martinez.
• Hump realizes the Martinez is rapidly sinking, and leaps into the frigid waters of the San Francisco Bay.
• A man aboard the schooner happens to see Hump and within a few minutes they out a rescue boat to save him.
• Hump learns that the ship is called Ghost and is a seal-hunter bound for Japan.
Chapter 3 | Chapter 4
• Hump suggests that the ship's captain, Larsen return him to shore, but Larsen finds the suggestion risible.
• Seeing no other option, Hump signs on as cabin boy.
• While traversing the deck, Hump is bowled over by an enormous boarding sea and is driven...
This section contains 2,381 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)