|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The hero of The Sacrifice is cured of a disease after sleeping with a what?
2. What filming technique did Tarkovsky implement more in The Sacrifice than in any of his other films?
3. What does Tarkovsky claim to do about a film once he has completed working on it?
4. What refers to a military rank and historical title for a hereditary military dictator of Japan?
5. Who is the central character in the film, The Sacrifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tarkovsky write of "heroes" in Chapter VIII?
2. What does Tarkovsky define "commercializing" as in Chapter VII? What is the filmmaker's duty in this regard?
3. What kept Tarkovsky from quitting the cinema after Mirror?
4. What Japanese form of art does Tarkovsky repeatedly compare cinema to? Why?
5. What conclusion does Tarkovsky find at the end of Chapter IX regarding mankind's condition?
6. How does Tarkovsky describe the use of symbolism in his films?
7. Due to the state that cinema is in, what struggles does the artist face as filmmaker? What does Tarkovsky suggest he focus on?
8. How is success measured, according to Tarkovsky?
9. What does Tarkovsky claim the link is between the artist and audience in Chapter VI?
10. What percentage of an audience is there for entertainment, according to Tarkovsky? Who must the director play to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the director and filmmaker, Luis Buñuel Portolés. Why does Tarkovsky discuss him in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the letters Tarkovsky cites as his reasons for writing Sculpting in Time: Reflections on the Cinema. What was the common response to Tarkovsky's works?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reasons that cinema has evolved as it has though time, examining Tarkovsky's point of view. Why and how does Tarkovsky believe cinema arose when it did? What changes was he unable to witness?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)