|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the film Solaris produced?
2. Who is the author of, The Lower Depths?
3. The film, The Killers, was based on a short story by whom?
4. What term means a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd, but in reality expresses a possible truth?
5. What celebrated Russian soldier and Red Army commander during the Russian Civil War does Tarkovsky describe people flocking to see, in Chapter IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tarkovsky define a "masterpiece" as?
2. Who was Tarkovsky's father? What was his occupation?
3. What does Tarkovsky define "the artist" as in the text? What is the artist's chief weapon and goal?
4. What is music's role in film, according to Tarkovsky?
5. What does Tarkovsky write in Chapter II of art's aim in preparation of man?
6. Why and how does Tarkovsky believe cinema arose when it did?
7. What does Tarkovsky write of his film school days in Chapter IV?
8. How does Tarkovsky define time and memory in Chapter III?
9. What admiration does Tarkovsky lend to Bunuel in Chapter II? Why?
10. How does Tarkovsky feel the director should view the audience? What credit does he give them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the letters Tarkovsky cites as his reasons for writing Sculpting in Time: Reflections on the Cinema. What was the common response to Tarkovsky's works?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Tarkovsky's comparisons between Thomas Mann and Leo Tolstoy. What stylistic similarities and differences exist in each author's work?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the film, Andrey Rublyov. When was it produced? What is the subject of the film? What is the setting? Who are the principle characters?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)