|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tarkovsky writes in the Introduction, "I realized that I generally came to recognize my own working principles through questioning" what?
2. What is the title of Chapter IV?
3. What central character of The Possessed is quoted in the beginning of Chapter III?
4. Tarkovsky asserts in Chapter I that the artist should be free to bring his own what to a film?
5. What is the title of the first of Tarkovsky's student films?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the film Mirror. When was it produced?
2. How has the cinema evolved and why, since its inception?
3. How does Tarkovsky define time and memory in Chapter III?
4. What is the relationship of the artist to his audience? What is the role of intercommunication?
5. Describe the protagonist and his journey in Andrey Rublyov.
6. What types of imagery did Tarkovsky use in Ivan's Childhood? From where did he draw his ideas?
7. What does Tarkovsky define as cinema's unique aspect in Chapter III? What would the ideal film be?
8. What does Tarkovsky write of his film school days in Chapter IV?
9. What did Tarkovsky learn of subjectivity in the artist making Ivan's Childhood?
10. Who was Tarkovsky's father? What was his occupation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who observed, "Poets are philosophers. You might equally well compare the painter of sea-scapes to a ship's captain"? What does this phrase mean in the context of Tarkovsky's theories?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of art in the world of humanity, as described by Tarkovsky. What is art's role in society? How does the artist go about fulfilling this role?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the film, Andrey Rublyov. When was it produced? What is the subject of the film? What is the setting? Who are the principle characters?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)