|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Soviet filmmaker and film theorist is arguably the very first film theorist, as he was a leader in Soviet montage theory?
2. What artist, born in the 1360s, is considered to be the greatest medieval Russian painter of Orthodox icons and frescoes?
(a) Kenji Mizoguchi.
(b) Andrey Rublev.
(c) Alexander Blok.
(d) Effendi Kapiyev.
3. In Russian, 'Forgive me', is spoken how?
4. Who wrote, The Death of Ivan Ilych?
5. Who said, "The function of the image is to express life itself, not ideas or arguments about life"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the novel, The Magic Mountain?
2. Of whom does Tarkovsky write, "wasn't trying to convey his own experience to anyone, he wanted to put across ideas, purely and simply"?
3. What does Tarkovsky write that all manufacture has to essentially be, in Chapter VI?
4. What novel in verse written by Alexander Pushkin is described by Tarkovsky in Chapter V?
5. What was the first version of The Sacrifice to be titled initially?
Short Essay Questions
1. What painting of Leonardo Da Vinci's does Tarkovsky discuss in Chapter V? What remarks does he make on the painting?
2. What makes the cinema different than other art forms, according to Tarkovsky?
3. How did the film Mirror evolve from the script to the screen?
4. How is the artist "at odds with society," as Tarkovsky states in Chapter VII?
5. What conclusion does Tarkovsky find at the end of Chapter IX regarding mankind's condition?
6. What is the journey of the protagonist in The Sacrifice? How is Tarkovsky's life reflected in the film?
7. When was, The Sacrifice, conceived of? What drew Tarkovsky to this story?
8. How does Tarkovsky describe the stresses of filming on The Sacrifice?
9. What does Tarkovsky claim the link is between the artist and audience in Chapter VI?
10. What regrets and successes did Tarkovsky have for the film, Mirrror?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)