|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the book Images?
(a) Ingmar Bergman.
(b) Thomas Mann.
(c) Leo Tolstoy.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
2. Tarkovsky claims in Chapter VI that all art is by nature, what?
(c) For the people.
3. What genre of art does Tarkovsky claim is, The Sacrifice?
4. What does Tarkovsky claim to do about a film once he has completed working on it?
(a) Re-edits it.
(b) Never sees it.
(c) Stops thinking about it.
(d) Dwells on it.
5. What filming technique did Tarkovsky implement more in The Sacrifice than in any of his other films?
(a) The fade out.
(b) The long shot.
(c) The fade in.
(d) The dolly shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tarkovsky claims in Chapter V that if he could go back, he would cut out the scene from Mirror with the what?
2. In Chapter VII, Tarkovsky writes, "People cease to feel any need for the beautiful or the spiritual, and consume films like bottles of" what?
3. What artist, born in the 1360s, is considered to be the greatest medieval Russian painter of Orthodox icons and frescoes?
4. What is the title of Chapter VIII?
5. What novel in verse written by Alexander Pushkin is described by Tarkovsky in Chapter V?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the journey of the protagonist in The Sacrifice? How is Tarkovsky's life reflected in the film?
2. How does Tarkovsky describe the stresses of filming on The Sacrifice?
3. What does Tarkovsky claim the link is between the artist and audience in Chapter VI?
4. What Japanese form of art does Tarkovsky repeatedly compare cinema to? Why?
5. What does Tarkovsky write of "heroes" in Chapter VIII?
6. What conclusion does Tarkovsky find at the end of Chapter IX regarding mankind's condition?
7. What percentage of an audience is there for entertainment, according to Tarkovsky? Who must the director play to?
8. What painting of Leonardo Da Vinci's does Tarkovsky discuss in Chapter V? What remarks does he make on the painting?
9. How is success measured, according to Tarkovsky?
10. What is the journey of the protagonist in Nostalgia? How is it tragic?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)