|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tarkovsky begins Chapter VII by returning to the comparison of cinema to what?
2. Tarkovsky claims in Chapter VI that all art is by nature, what?
(d) For the people.
3. What director's cinematic version of Macbeth is discussed in Chapter V?
4. Who wrote the book Images?
(a) Thomas Mann.
(b) Leo Tolstoy.
(c) Ingmar Bergman.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
5. Who starred in the film, Nostalgia?
(a) Andrei Gorchakov.
(b) Vyacheslav Ivanov.
(c) Vassily Zhukovsky.
(d) Oleg Yankovsky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tarkovsky claims in Chapter VIII that there have never been any what in his films?
2. When was the film, Mirror, released?
3. Who played the role of Alexander in The Sacrifice?
4. In Chapter V, Tarkovsky writes, "I am always sickened when an artist underpins his system of images with deliberate tendentiousness or" what?
5. What genre of art does Tarkovsky claim is, The Sacrifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the artist "at odds with society," as Tarkovsky states in Chapter VII?
2. What regrets and successes did Tarkovsky have for the film, Mirrror?
3. What kept Tarkovsky from quitting the cinema after Mirror?
4. How did the film Mirror evolve from the script to the screen?
5. Due to the state that cinema is in, what struggles does the artist face as filmmaker? What does Tarkovsky suggest he focus on?
6. How does Tarkovsky describe the difference between painting and cinema in Chapter VII?
7. What does Tarkovsky claim the link is between the artist and audience in Chapter VI?
8. When was, The Sacrifice, conceived of? What drew Tarkovsky to this story?
9. What does Tarkovsky mean by "immediate" art forms in Chapter VII?
10. What does Tarkovsky write of "heroes" in Chapter VIII?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)