|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hero dies in the end of Ivan's Childhood?
(a) Lieutenant-Colonel Gryaznov.
(b) Lieutenant Galtsev.
(c) Ivan Bondarev.
(d) Alexander Kruschev.
2. Who directed the film, Persona?
(a) Donatas Banionis.
(b) Igmar Berman.
(c) Robert Bresson.
(d) Sergei Eisenstein.
3. The setting of Ivan's Childhood is during what war?
(a) World War II.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Russian-Siberian War.
(d) The Cold War.
4. What Russian author wrote the short story, The Forged Coupon?
(a) Sameul Beckett.
(b) Leo Tolstoy.
(c) James Joyce.
5. Tarkovsky writes that, "From the very moment when Eve ate the apple from the tree of knowledge, mankind was doomed to strive endlessly after" what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Tarkovsky produce Ivan's Childhood?
2. In what year did Tarkovsky produce the student film, There Will be No Leave Today?
3. For how long did Tarkovsky work on his first feature film?
4. What is the title of Chapter II?
5. What does Tarkovsky write "has taken a wrong turn in abandoning the search for the meaning of existence in order to affirm the value of the individual for its own sake"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first moving picture to be released? When and where was it released?
2. How does Tarkovsky feel the director should view the audience? What credit does he give them?
3. When does Tarkovsky say he doubted his calling as an artist, in Chapter IV?
4. What admiration does Tarkovsky lend to Bunuel in Chapter II? Why?
5. What does Tarkovsky write in Chapter II of art's aim in preparation of man?
6. What does Tarkovsky define "the artist" as in the text? What is the artist's chief weapon and goal?
7. Who was Innokentiy Smoktunovsky? What was he known for?
8. Describe the film Mirror. When was it produced?
9. What is music's role in film, according to Tarkovsky?
10. What does Tarkovsky define a "masterpiece" as?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)