|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose dictum states: "in every sense, art is made for you, the people"?
2. Who wrote the following haiku: "The old pond was still / A frog jumped in the water / And a splash was heard"?
3. In order to be what, does Tarkovsky write, "you simply have to be so, without asking permission of anybody"?
4. Who had played the lead in all of Tarkovsky's films prior to The Sacrifice?
(a) Effendi Kapiyev.
(b) Vyacheslav Ivanov.
(c) Erland Josephson.
(d) Anatoliy Solonitsyn.
5. Tarkovsky claims to be against structuralist attempts to look at a _________ as a sign of something else.
6. Of which French film director does Tarkovsky write of his admiration for concentration?
7. What is the title of Chapter VIII?
(a) After Nostalgia.
(b) The Sacrifice.
(c) The Mirror.
8. What filming technique did Tarkovsky implement more in The Sacrifice than in any of his other films?
(a) The long shot.
(b) The fade out.
(c) The dolly shot.
(d) The fade in.
9. Who played the role of Adelaide in The Sacrifice?
(a) Effendi Kapiyev.
(b) Sarah Moorewood.
(c) Anatoliy Solonitsyn.
(d) Susan Fleetwood.
10. In Chapter VII, Tarkovsky writes, "People cease to feel any need for the beautiful or the spiritual, and consume films like bottles of" what?
11. Tarkovsky writes in Chapter IX, "the more clearly I discerned the stamp of _____ on the face of our planet (irrespective of whether I was observing the West or the East), the more I came up
against unhappy people"?
12. What does Tarkovsky claim to do about a film once he has completed working on it?
(a) Re-edits it.
(b) Never sees it.
(c) Stops thinking about it.
(d) Dwells on it.
13. Who starred in the film, Nostalgia?
(a) Andrei Gorchakov.
(b) Vassily Zhukovsky.
(c) Vyacheslav Ivanov.
(d) Oleg Yankovsky.
14. Who wrote the book Images?
(a) Leo Tolstoy.
(b) Ingmar Bergman.
(c) Thomas Mann.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
15. What Latin term does Tarkovsky use to refer to the role of the director as a representative of the masses?
(a) Mons populii.
(b) Magnum vox.
(c) Vox magnum.
(d) Vox populii.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which role did Larisa Tarkovskaya play in the film, The Mirror?
2. Who does Tarkovsky quote as having said, "If you want to enjoy art, you must be artistically educated"?
3. Tarkovsky claims in Chapter VI that the yardsticks by which art is distinguished from non-art are what?
4. What German philosopher, political economist, historian, political theorist, sociologist, and communist revolutionary does Tarkovsky cite in Chapter V?
5. Who is the central character in the film, The Sacrifice?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)