|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term does Tarkovsky refer to as meaning "cinema that boldly moves away, in its images, from what is factual and concrete, as pictured by real life, and at the same time affirms its own structural wholeness"?
(a) Modern art.
(b) Poetic cinema.
(c) Stylistic art.
(d) Realistic performance.
2. Who is the author of, The Lower Depths?
3. Tarkovsky states that cinema's unique aspect is this capturing and shaping of what?
4. What well-known Soviet and Russian actor and clown starred in many popular films and played Patrikey, Cathedral Treasurer, in Audrey Rublyov?
(a) Dimitri Merezhkovsky.
(b) Yuri Nikulin.
(c) Alexander Blok.
(d) Effendi Kapiyev.
5. Tarkovsky writes in his Introduction that he began jotting notes for the first draft of this book how many years prior?
6. Trokovsky writes in Chapter III that cinema is said to be a _____ art.
7. Who wrote in, "A Dialectic Approach to Film Form", that montage is "the nerve of cinema"?
(a) Andrey Rublyov.
(b) Luis Bunuel.
(c) Sergei Eisenstein.
(d) Donatas Banionis.
8. Of what author does Tarkovsky write, "the most interesting characters are outwardly static, but inwardly charged with energy by an overriding passion"?
9. Who wrote the book, The Konostasis?
(a) Luis Bunuel.
(b) Andrey Rublyov.
(c) Sergei Eisenstein.
(d) Pavel Florensky.
10. When was the film Andrei Rublev released?
11. What film did the woman civil engineer from Leningrad write to Tarkovsky about in the Introduction?
(b) The Sacrifice.
(c) The Mirror.
12. What was the name of Andrey Tarkovsky's father?
(a) Innokenity Tarkovsky.
(b) Ignat Tarkovsky.
(c) Arseniy Tarkovsky.
(d) Alexander Tarkovsky.
13. What hero dies in the end of Ivan's Childhood?
(a) Alexander Kruschev.
(b) Ivan Bondarev.
(c) Lieutenant-Colonel Gryaznov.
(d) Lieutenant Galtsev.
14. The film, The Killers, was based on a short story by whom?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Truman Capote.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Leo Tolstoy.
15. When was Tarkovsky born?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the film, Persona, produced?
2. Tarkovsky writes of his film, Ivan's Childhood, "The stuff of the narrative was not the heroics of reconnaissance operations, but the interval between" what?
3. What French film director directed, L'Argent?
4. What does Tarkovsky write will still always be a code standing for a logical deduction in the scientist?
5. What Italian painter of the Venetian school and contemporary of Raphael does Tarkovsky discuss in Chapter II?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)