|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the film, Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat Station?
(a) 2 minutes.
(b) 5 minutes.
(c) 10 seconds.
(d) 50 seconds.
2. Whom does Tarkovsky write about in Chapter II who believed the poet had the gift of prophecy?
(a) Alexander Dovzhenko.
(c) Effendi Kapiyev.
(d) Alexander Blok.
3. In what year did Tarkovsky produce the student film, There Will be No Leave Today?
4. What word does Tarkovsky refer to as meaning: an artistic image means an aesthetic acceptance of the beautiful, on an emotional or even supra-emotional level?
5. Tarkovsky writes that, "From the very moment when Eve ate the apple from the tree of knowledge, mankind was doomed to strive endlessly after" what?
6. What term does Tarkovsky refer to as meaning "cinema that boldly moves away, in its images, from what is factual and concrete, as pictured by real life, and at the same time affirms its own structural wholeness"?
(a) Realistic performance.
(b) Stylistic art.
(c) Modern art.
(d) Poetic cinema.
7. What was the name of Andrey Tarkovsky's father?
(a) Innokenity Tarkovsky.
(b) Alexander Tarkovsky.
(c) Ignat Tarkovsky.
(d) Arseniy Tarkovsky.
8. A woman from where wrote to ask Tarkovsky, "Thank you for Mirror. My childhood was like that. . . . Only how did you know about it?"
9. What word means a figure in which the name of one thing is used in place of another that is suggested by or associated with it (e.g. the Kremlin for "the Russian government")?
10. When was Tarkovsky born?
11. Who directed the film, Persona?
(a) Igmar Berman.
(b) Robert Bresson.
(c) Donatas Banionis.
(d) Sergei Eisenstein.
12. According to Tarkovsky in Chapter I, "When a writer and a director have different aesthetic starting points, compromise is" what?
13. Who starred in the film, Persona?
(a) Elizabeth Poin.
(b) Sara Martinez.
(c) Maria A'delair.
(d) Liv Ullmann.
14. Tarkovsky quotes a woman from where, who wrote to say she'd seen Mirror four times in the previous week, in the Introduction?
15. The film, The Killers, was based on a short story by whom?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Leo Tolstoy.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Truman Capote.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tarkovsky claim "is like a kind of culture medium that is destroyed when it is no longer needed, once the links are severed between the individual personality, and the conditions of existence"?
2. In Chapter IV, Tarkovsky writes that "anyone who decides to become a director is risking" what?
3. Tarkovsky concludes the Introduction by stating, "The corpus of theory relating to cinema is still" what?
4. In what film does the Editor's note that is added in the commentary in this edition, appear as it was Tarkovsky's final film?
5. With whom did Tarkovsky make a student film in his fourth year of school?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)