• Tarkovsky admits that in writing the book, he wanted to argue certain points that were missing in existing film theory books, and he also admits he has more time between films than he would like.
• Tarkovsky also started writing because of audience reaction, particularly the many letters he has received from people who have seen his films.
• Some letters expressed confusion, others disdain or outright hatred of Tarkovsky's work.
• Other fan letters expressed admiration for Tarkovsky, and the sentiment that Tarkovsky had expressed a profound truth that resonated with them and made them feel more alive.
• So to answer critics, fill in holes in the literature of film theory, and to clarify and expand upon his artistic intentions for the benefit of his curious audience, Tarkovsky for years has been writing what has now been collected in this single volume.
• Tarkovsky expresses excitement for the possibilities of...
This section contains 2,379 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)