|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had the second narrator been doing with the cat just moments before in "Screwjack"?
2. What was the woman at the car rental counter doing when Thompson arrived?
3. Who had "gone off to Real Estate School"?
4. From where did the second narrator receive a call full of political news in "Screwjack"?
5. What did Thompson see upon entering the kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Duke write to the Lord in "Screwjack"?
2. How did Leach introduce "Jennifer" in "Death of a Poet"?
3. Where had the narrator arrived in "Death of a Poet"? What did he see upon arrival?
4. How does the narrative point of view change in "Screwjack"?
5. What did Leach tell the narrator was the savior of his marriage in "Death of a Poet"?
6. What had the narrator just done with Screwjack in the beginning of the story?
7. What did Screwjack do in the ending of the narrative?
8. What was the critical and public reaction to the collection of stories in Screw-jack?
9. What happened when Duke threw Screwjack out?
10. What other work had Thompson written centering on the character F.X. Leach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of "Mescalito." Why was Thompson at that particular location? What impact did the setting have on the events of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the theme of addiction and abuse in "Mescalito." What symbolism and imagery supports this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot structure of "Mescalito." Identify and define the exposition, rising action, climax, and denoument of the narrative.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)