|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator described at the beginning of "Screwjack" that a crust of snow had formed on the porch since ____________.
2. Where was the narrator's tattoo located?
3. Who called on the telephone for the second narrator in "Screwjack"?
4. The dawn in the beginning of "Screwjack" is described as cold and ____________.
5. Where did Mr. Screwjack bite the second narrator as he was petting him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Leach do at the end of "Death of a Poet"?
2. What did Leach tell the narrator was the savior of his marriage in "Death of a Poet"?
3. Where had the narrator arrived in "Death of a Poet"? What did he see upon arrival?
4. What startling sight did the narrator find in the kitchen in "Death of a Poet"?
5. What happened when Duke threw Screwjack out?
6. What was the significance of the bet in "Death of a Poet"?
7. What was the critical and public reaction to the collection of stories in Screw-jack?
8. What did Duke write to the Lord in "Screwjack"?
9. What lines open "Death of a Poet"? To whom are they attributed?
10. What image did the narrator imagine of Leach's neighbors in "Death of a Poet"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of "Mescalito." Why was Thompson at that particular location? What impact did the setting have on the events of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of F. X. Leach in "Death of a Poet." In what other works had Thompson used Leach? What plot similarities were there?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Hunter S. Thompson's unique style of writing in the works contained in Screw-jack. What narrative style did Thompson use in the stories?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)