|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator describes Mr. Screwjack by saying, "Like my beast and my ____, my perfect dream lover, like that ghost that I must forget."
2. How much would it cost the narrator to have the tattoo burned off in "Screwjack"?
3. At the beginning of the story, how is Mr. Screwjack described?
4. What did the narrator do just before throwing Mr. Screwjack into the cold?
5. What was Leach wearing when he answered the door in "Death of a Poet"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Leach do at the end of "Death of a Poet"?
2. What happened when Duke threw Screwjack out?
3. What was the significance of the bet in "Death of a Poet"?
4. What image did the narrator imagine of Leach's neighbors in "Death of a Poet"?
5. What startling sight did the narrator find in the kitchen in "Death of a Poet"?
6. What did the second narrator do to Screwjack?
7. Who was the narrator going to see in "Death of a Poet"? What mood was he in?
8. How is the narrative style of "Screwjack" similar to the other stories in the collection? How does it differ?
9. How did Duke's pleas to God change in "Screwjack"?
10. What had the narrator just done with Screwjack in the beginning of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that sports betting plays in the narrative of "Death of a Poet." How involved was Hunter S. Thompson in sports betting? What other works discuss it?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the title character in "Screwjack." What kind of animal is Screwjack? What is he symbolic of in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Hubert Humphrey? Why did Hunter S. Thompson choose to use Humphrey in a metaphor in "Mescalito"?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)