|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years after Mr. Screwjack's disappearance did the narrator encounter him again?
2. What had the second narrator been doing with the cat just moments before in "Screwjack"?
3. The second narrator in "Screwjack" described grabbing the animal and squeezing him like a __________.
4. What did Thompson begin looking for in the kitchen after seeing the woman?
5. The poem at the beginning of "Death of a Poet" describes a coffin of __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprise news did Leach break on the narrator in "Death of a Poet"?
2. What did Screwjack do to the second narrator?
3. What did Screwjack do in the ending of the narrative?
4. What did Duke write to the Lord in "Screwjack"?
5. How does the narrative point of view change in "Screwjack"?
6. What did the second narrator do to Screwjack?
7. What image did the narrator imagine of Leach's neighbors in "Death of a Poet"?
8. Describe the use of imagery in "Death of a Poet." What images are symbolic in the story? How?
9. What had the narrator just done with Screwjack in the beginning of the story?
10. What lines open "Death of a Poet"? To whom are they attributed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the title character in "Screwjack." What kind of animal is Screwjack? What is he symbolic of in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the theme of addiction and abuse in "Mescalito." What symbolism and imagery supports this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Hunter S. Thompson's unique style of writing in the works contained in Screw-jack. What narrative style did Thompson use in the stories?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)