|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The opening paragraph of "Screwjack" is signed off by ____________.
2. What did Leach tell Thompson he was about to do when he arrived?
3. In "Screwjack," the narrator pleaded to God, saying, "I am guilty, Lord, but I am also a __________."
4. The address given to Thompson by his friend turned out to be a_____________.
5. The second narrator in "Screwjack" described grabbing the animal and squeezing him like a __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Leach introduce "Jennifer" in "Death of a Poet"?
2. What interaction did the narrator have with the car rental employee in "Death of a Poet"?
3. What happened when Duke threw Screwjack out?
4. How did Duke's pleas to God change in "Screwjack"?
5. What did Leach do at the end of "Death of a Poet"?
6. Describe the use of imagery in "Death of a Poet." What images are symbolic in the story? How?
7. What surprise news did Leach break on the narrator in "Death of a Poet"?
8. How is the narrative style of "Screwjack" similar to the other stories in the collection? How does it differ?
9. Who is described in the beginning of the letter in "Screwjack"?
10. What did the second narrator do to Screwjack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Oscar in "Mescalito." What role did Oscar serve in the plot of the narrative? What did he represent symbolically to Thompson?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the theme of addiction and abuse in "Mescalito." What symbolism and imagery supports this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Thompson's letter in the Introduction to Screw-jack. To whom was the author writing? What imagery and events did he detail in the letter?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)