|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years after Mr. Screwjack's disappearance did the narrator encounter him again?
2. Who had "gone off to Real Estate School"?
3. What did Thompson go to the kitchen to get in "Death of a Poet"?
4. The woman in the kitchen in "Death of a Poet" was ___________.
5. Which car did the woman at the car rental counter tell Thompson to take?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other work had Thompson written centering on the character F.X. Leach?
2. Where had the narrator arrived in "Death of a Poet"? What did he see upon arrival?
3. What did the second narrator do to Screwjack?
4. What did Screwjack do to the second narrator?
5. Describe the individual, F.X. Leach. What was his occupation? How did the narrator of "Death of a Poet" know him?
6. How did Leach introduce "Jennifer" in "Death of a Poet"?
7. What had the narrator just done with Screwjack in the beginning of the story?
8. What did Screwjack do in the ending of the narrative?
9. What startling sight did the narrator find in the kitchen in "Death of a Poet"?
10. Describe briefly the career of Hunter S. Thompson. For what genre of journalism was he known?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Thompson's relationship with and political feelings toward Richard Nixon. How did Thompson react to news of Nixon in "Mescalito"?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Hubert Humphrey? Why did Hunter S. Thompson choose to use Humphrey in a metaphor in "Mescalito"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Thompson's interactions with the flower children in "Mescalito." What was ironic about their relationship?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)