|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thompson wrote he had been chased and tormented by what huge radioactive creatures in the Introduction?
2. What park did Thompson feel he was looking at in "Mescalito"?
3. In "Mescalito," what did Thompson describe as "wily old"?
4. In what city did Thompson write that Nixon had ordered the Condor Legion?
5. What did Thompson claim he was not in his letter in the Introduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thompson describe the imagery as he began to peak? What did the typewriter look like?
2. How did Thompson feel about the hotel workers in "Mescalito"?
3. What scene did Thompson write of having witnessed with the police?
4. How did Thompson attempt to maintain a grip on reality in "Mescalito"? What were his results?
5. Who passed below Thompson's hotel room in "Mescalito"? What interaction did they have?
6. What did Thompson lament about his work in the entry from February 18 in "Mescalito"?
7. How did Thompson describe his overwhelmed existence in "Mescalito"?
8. Describe the narrative style of "Mescalito."
9. Who was James Farmer? Why was he on the news in "Mescalito"?
10. What comparisons did Thompson make between acid and mescaline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the connecting themes between the three narratives of Screw-jack. How does Thompson use imagery and symbolism to reflect this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hunter S. Thompson's unique style of writing in the works contained in Screw-jack. What narrative style did Thompson use in the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of "Death of a Poet." How is the setting integral to the plot of the narrative?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)