|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sang "The Weight" on the radio in "Mescalito"?
2. In "Mescalito," Thompson described his drug trip as "a buzzing without noise, high-speed vibrations and more ___________."
3. For how long had Thompson been chased and tormented by giant radioactive creatures in the Introduction?
4. Whom did Thompson describe on Face the Nation in "Mescalito"?
5. On what floor was Thompson staying in "Mescalito"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor did Thompson made in describing his brain while tripping?
2. What conflicts did Thompson face in "Mescalito" after his drug trip began?
3. Who was James Farmer? Why was he on the news in "Mescalito"?
4. To whom did Thompson make a phone call in "Mescalito"? Why?
5. Why had a dope freak tried to steal the Goodyear blimp in "Mescalito"?
6. How did Thompson describe the imagery as he began to peak? What did the typewriter look like?
7. What comparisons did Thompson make between acid and mescaline?
8. Describe Hunter S. Thompson as the central character in "Mescalito." What are his objectives?
9. What scene did Thompson write of having witnessed with the police?
10. What combination of drugs had Thompson taken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of "Death of a Poet." How is the setting integral to the plot of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hunter S. Thompson's unique style of writing in the works contained in Screw-jack. What narrative style did Thompson use in the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the title character in "Screwjack." What kind of animal is Screwjack? What is he symbolic of in the narrative?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)