|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Leach throw at Thompson in the kitchen?
(a) A knife.
(b) A gun.
(c) The doll.
(d) A loaf of bread.
2. The opening paragraph of "Screwjack" is signed off by ____________.
(a) The Editors.
(b) Raoul Duke.
(c) Hunter S. Thompson.
3. In the closing of his letter, whom did the narrator ask the Lord to keep off his back?
4. Who had given Thompson the numbers he'd used to place his bets?
(c) His father.
5. The narrator describes Mr. Screwjack by saying, "Like my beast and my ____, my perfect dream lover, like that ghost that I must forget."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had beaten the Packers in "Death of a Poet"?
2. In what city was Thompson in "Death of a Poet"?
3. What did Leach do at the end of "Death of a Poet"?
4. What is the tunnel made of in the poem which opens "Death of a Poet"?
5. The second narrator told Screwjack that he was no better than that punk who fell for _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What interaction did the narrator have with the car rental employee in "Death of a Poet"?
2. How is the narrative style of "Screwjack" similar to the other stories in the collection? How does it differ?
3. Who is described in the beginning of the letter in "Screwjack"?
4. What had the narrator just done with Screwjack in the beginning of the story?
5. What did Duke write to the Lord in "Screwjack"?
6. How does the narrative point of view change in "Screwjack"?
7. What image did the narrator imagine of Leach's neighbors in "Death of a Poet"?
8. What did Screwjack do to the second narrator?
9. What did Leach tell the narrator was the savior of his marriage in "Death of a Poet"?
10. Who "wrote" the opening chapter of "Screwjack"? What exposition is revealed here?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)