|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had given Thompson the numbers he'd used to place his bets?
(b) His father.
2. What did Leach throw at Thompson in the kitchen?
(a) The doll.
(b) A knife.
(c) A gun.
(d) A loaf of bread.
3. Where was Hunter S. Thompson born?
(a) Birmingham, AL.
(b) Lexington, VA.
(c) Louisville, KY.
(d) Washington, D.C.
4. How many years after Mr. Screwjack's disappearance did the narrator encounter him again?
5. Where did Mr. Screwjack try to coax the narrator after dinner?
(a) To the kitchen.
(b) To the living room.
(d) To the bedroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thompson see upon entering the kitchen?
2. The people would come to collect Leach's debt by _____________.
3. What color are Mr. Screwjack's eyes?
4. Where had Leach gone that led him to change his bet?
5. What television show did the narrator describe watching with Mr. Screwjack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprise news did Leach break on the narrator in "Death of a Poet"?
2. Describe the individual, F.X. Leach. What was his occupation? How did the narrator of "Death of a Poet" know him?
3. How long was Screwjack gone before returning to Duke? What was he like?
4. Where had the narrator arrived in "Death of a Poet"? What did he see upon arrival?
5. How is the narrative style of "Screwjack" similar to the other stories in the collection? How does it differ?
6. What did Screwjack do to the second narrator?
7. What did Duke write to the Lord in "Screwjack"?
8. What happened when Duke threw Screwjack out?
9. What interaction did the narrator have with the car rental employee in "Death of a Poet"?
10. What image did the narrator imagine of Leach's neighbors in "Death of a Poet"?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)