|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thompson was anxious about _____________coming into his hotel room in "Mescalito."
(a) His boss.
(c) His mother.
(d) A maid.
2. The clerk at the liquor store asked Thompson, "Aren't you the guy who did that ______ thing?"
(a) Hell's Angels.
(b) Las Vegas.
(c) Fear and Loathing.
3. What time did Thompson write it was at the beginning of his second entry of "Mescalito"?
4. When is George Washington's birthday?
(a) February 27.
(b) February 28.
(c) February 25.
(d) February 22.
5. What happened when Thompson first tried to call Oscar in "Mescalito"?
(a) Oscar's wife answered.
(b) No one was home.
(c) He got the answering machine.
(d) The line was busy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thompson write he now had a fifth of in the beginning of "Mescalito"?
2. On what floor was Thompson staying in "Mescalito"?
3. Thompson wrote, regarding the order of the stories, that the dramatic tension should build like _____________.
4. What is the date of the third entry in "Mescalito"?
5. Thompson wrote in the Introduction that it was as though in a previous life he had been a ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Thompson lament about his work in the entry from February 18 in "Mescalito"?
2. What happened to Thompson's concentration as the trip continued?
3. To what radio station did Thompson vow to send a check? Why?
4. What noise was distracting Thompson in the middle of the night on February 18 in "Mescalito"? How?
5. How did Thompson attempt to maintain a grip on reality in "Mescalito"? What were his results?
6. What was the setting of "Mescalito"? Where was Thompson as the story began?
7. To whom did Thompson make a phone call in "Mescalito"? Why?
8. What scene on the Pacific Coast Highway did Thompson describe in "Mescalito"?
9. What happened to the flower children in "Mescalito"?
10. Who was James Farmer? Why was he on the news in "Mescalito"?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)