|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the Duke Estate destroyed?
2. The woman in the kitchen in "Death of a Poet" was ___________.
(a) A blow-up doll.
(b) Thompson's sister.
(c) Leach's mistress.
(d) Leach's wife.
3. According to the narrator, where did someone go after Real Estate School?
(a) El Centro.
(c) New York.
(d) Los Angeles.
4. Who was a friend of F. X. Leach in a 1992 Rolling Stone article by Hunter S. Thompson?
(a) Richard Nixon.
(b) Jimmy Carter.
(c) Bill Clinton.
(d) Clarence Thomas.
5. What does the narrator describe as having been so loud it made them both tremble when Mr. Screwjack was thrown out?
(a) His sign.
(b) His purr.
(c) His meow.
(d) His growl.
6. What color are Mr. Screwjack's eyes?
7. According to Thompson in "Death of a Poet," who had struck out?
(a) Babe Ruth.
(b) Mighty Ott.
(c) Mighty Casey.
(d) Mighty Mick.
8. What television show did the narrator describe watching with Mr. Screwjack?
(a) Oprah Winfrey.
(b) Saturday Night Live.
(c) Johnny Carson.
(d) Phil Donahue.
9. The narrator describes Mr. Screwjack by saying, "Like my beast and my ____, my perfect dream lover, like that ghost that I must forget."
10. What brand of liquor was Leach carrying when he opened the door?
(a) Wild Turkey.
(b) Gibley's Gin.
(c) Jim Beam.
(d) Jack Daniels.
11. What did Thompson go to the kitchen to get in "Death of a Poet"?
(d) Wild Turkey.
12. What did the narrator do just before throwing Mr. Screwjack into the cold?
(a) Punched him.
(b) Kissed him.
(c) Licked him.
(d) Kicked him.
13. How many years after Mr. Screwjack's disappearance did the narrator encounter him again?
14. Where did Mr. Screwjack try to coax the narrator after dinner?
(b) To the bedroom.
(c) To the living room.
(d) To the kitchen.
15. Where was Hunter S. Thompson born?
(a) Birmingham, AL.
(b) Louisville, KY.
(c) Lexington, VA.
(d) Washington, D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leach told Thompson in "Death of a Poet" that he had changed his bet, gotten drunk, and ________________.
2. What kind of car was in the yard with a "cold silver grille"?
3. The second narrator in "Screwjack" writes that after having been bitten, he "stared down at him very intently from a distance of" how many inches?
4. Which team did Leach bet on in "Death of a Poet"?
5. The second narrator told Screwjack that he was no better than that punk who fell for _____________.
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)