|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator describes Mr. Screwjack by saying, "Like my beast and my ____, my perfect dream lover, like that ghost that I must forget."
2. The poem at the beginning of "Death of a Poet" describes a coffin of __________.
3. What was Leach wearing when he answered the door in "Death of a Poet"?
(a) An alpaca wool bathrobe.
(b) A wool bathrobe.
(c) A cowhide bathrobe.
(d) A terrycloth bathrobe.
4. What does the narrator describe as having been so loud it made them both tremble when Mr. Screwjack was thrown out?
(a) His meow.
(b) His growl.
(c) His sign.
(d) His purr.
5. Thompson was anxious to see ______________and celebrate a victory in "Death of a Poet"?
6. What brand of liquor was Leach carrying when he opened the door?
(a) Gibley's Gin.
(b) Jim Beam.
(c) Wild Turkey.
(d) Jack Daniels.
7. How does the writer sleep in the poem which opens "Death of a Poet"?
8. Who called on the telephone for the second narrator in "Screwjack"?
(a) Andrew Walker.
(b) James Johnson.
(c) Pat Caddell.
(d) Mark Jeffries.
9. What television show did the narrator describe watching with Mr. Screwjack?
(a) Saturday Night Live.
(b) Johnny Carson.
(c) Phil Donahue.
(d) Oprah Winfrey.
10. What was the woman at the car rental counter doing when Thompson arrived?
(a) Talking on the phone to her mother.
(b) Weeping uncontrollably.
(c) Laughing uncontrollably.
(d) Talking on the phone to her boyfriend.
11. When was the Duke Estate destroyed?
12. What devastated the Duke Estate in "Screwjack"?
(a) The Great Tsunami.
(b) The Great Earthquake.
(c) The Great Tornado.
(d) The Great Firestorm.
13. What is the tunnel made of in the poem which opens "Death of a Poet"?
14. According to the narrator, where did someone go after Real Estate School?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) El Centro.
(d) New York.
15. The second narrator told Screwjack that he was no better than that punk who fell for _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Screwjack left, the narrator wrote "And then he was gone, with no noise, like some ____ from my other world."
2. Upon what had the narrator drooled, according to his prayer in "Screwjack"?
3. At the beginning of the story, how is Mr. Screwjack described?
4. What did Thompson believe Leach had done when he saw the woman in the kitchen?
5. Where did the car rental employee say she was moving to in "Death of a Poet"?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)