|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the IRS claim Hellman owed them?
2. Before her hearing, Hellman decided not to feel ______.
3. Hellman told the committee she could either testify her way or she'd what?
4. Where did Hellman begin writing "Scoundrel Time"?
5. What did Rauh do with Hellman's letter during the hearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Hellman and Hammett's relationship perfect after Hammett's release? What was their relationship like?
2. How did Hellman deal with her money problems while in D.C.? Why did she act as she did?
3. After others testified, why was the Committee's interest in interrogating Hellman even more appealing?
4. Why did Hellman feel America forgot about McCarthy?
5. How did some radicals define McCarthyism justice?
6. How would it have been difficult for Hellman to learn about the new subpoena? How did she?
7. How was Martin Berkeley relevant in Hellman's hearing?
8. What affect were Hellman's financial troubles continuing to have while Hammett was in jail?
9. What was Leonard Bernstein's advice to Hellman about her testimony? Why didn't Hellman need to follow it?
10. Was Hellman's plan to abstain from incriminating others impossible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Hellman connects dots between events and attitudes during McCarthy and into the future. Make sure you cover the gravity she gives the McCarthy era, her perception of Americans, and her perception of the world.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hammett's role in Hellman's life and how his presence affected this experience for her. Give 2-3 examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Hellman often switches from an objective account to a personal blow to government officials. Many of these comments add humor to the text. Discuss how Hellman uses humorous and ridiculous recollection in her work. What does this display about her subconscious perspective? Hellman as a person? Hellman at the time of writing?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)