|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Hellman didn't heed the Committee's threats, what would happen to her?
2. What happened in the meeting where the government demanded money from Hellman?
3. What did the Committee member warn Rauh about Hellman's letter?
4. How does Rauh feel before Hellman's hearing?
5. Why wasn't Hellman paid for her work in Italy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Hammett happy at the end of his life? Why or why not?
2. What damage remained after Hellman's hearing?
3. What was Leonard Bernstein's advice to Hellman about her testimony? Why didn't Hellman need to follow it?
4. When looking back at the drama with the McCarthy hearings, what did Hellman feel?
5. How was Martin Berkeley relevant in Hellman's hearing?
6. What was curious about the events around Hellman learning about her subpoena?
7. How would it have been difficult for Hellman to learn about the new subpoena? How did she?
8. Was Hellman and Hammett's relationship perfect after Hammett's release? What was their relationship like?
9. Why did the government need to convince the public that the progressive man was immoral?
10. What new information was revealed in the New York Review of Books, proving government corruption? How did the government respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hellman was informed she would either be allowed to plead the Fifth Amendment or speak openly, but she couldn't pick and choose. Discuss Hellman's dilemma of being a martyr or a rat and her final decision of how to proceed.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the phrase "premature anti-fascist" and the House Committee and make sure you discuss the implications of the phrase and its definition.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the affects of being abroad on Hellman. How did these trips affect the course of events or Hellman's understanding and experience?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)