|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rauh do with Hellman's letter during the hearing?
(a) Presented it as evidence.
(b) Referred to it.
(c) Revised it.
(d) Threw it out.
2. Hellman explains the government saw intellectuals as ______.
3. What happened to Hellman's reputation after her hearing?
(a) It gets permanently tainted.
(b) People forget about her.
(c) She becomes more popular.
(d) She is labeled as untalented.
4. Hellman wanted to testify about herself, but not ______.
(a) The weather.
(b) Her childhood.
(c) Her writing.
5. How did Hellman find out she'd been subpoenaed a second time?
(a) In the paper.
(b) Hammett called her.
(c) She was arrested in Rome.
(d) She knew instinctively.
Short Answer Questions
1. In some protest articles, writers defined McCarthy's justice as what?
2. Why was Hellman in Russia?
3. What did Hellman often catch Hammett doing?
4. Why did Hellman go to Rauh's office before her hearing?
5. Hellman says the people who knew Chambers thought he was ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What damage remained after Hellman's hearing?
2. How did people know Hellman was at the London airport?
3. How did some radicals define McCarthyism justice?
4. Was Hammett happy at the end of his life? Why or why not?
5. How did Hellman attempt to gain the upper hand with the government? What was her letter trying to change?
6. In Hellman's opinion, who did the greatest harm to America? How?
7. What was the House Committee's response to Hellman's letter? How would she proceed with her testimony?
8. What did Rauh think would be the majority of the questions at Hellman's hearing? Why would the accusations implied in them be easy to disprove?
9. Why did Hellman feel America forgot about McCarthy?
10. What was unfair about asking foreign governments to assist America in their crisis?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)