|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The last summer of Hammett's life, he and Hellman rent a house in ______.
(b) The Hamptons.
(d) Martha's Vineyard.
2. Hellman wanted to testify about herself, but not ______.
(a) The weather.
(b) Her childhood.
(d) Her writing.
3. What did the last summer of Hammett's life mark in politics?
(a) The ride of McCarthy.
(b) The strength of the Independent Party.
(c) The decline of McCarthy.
(d) The ride of the radicals.
4. What was strange about the page?
(a) It sounded suspicious.
(b) No one knew Hellman was in London.
(c) She never got invited anywhere.
(d) The Contessa died.
5. What did Hellman testify about Bradeley?
(a) He was a spy.
(b) He was a Communist.
(c) He was being honest.
(d) She didn't know him.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the McCarthy era, why were Americans angry at foreign countries?
2. Why was London the place to extend Hellman's visa?
3. What did Hammett not have in his last year of life?
4. How did the Committee respond to Hellman's letter?
5. What magazine published the article about Whittaker Chambers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hellman feel America forgot about McCarthy?
2. Why did Hellman have to stop writing when returning from Rome?
3. How did people know Hellman was at the London airport?
4. What was unfair about asking foreign governments to assist America in their crisis?
5. What affect were Hellman's financial troubles continuing to have while Hammett was in jail?
6. Was Hellman's plan to abstain from incriminating others impossible?
7. What was Leonard Bernstein's advice to Hellman about her testimony? Why didn't Hellman need to follow it?
8. What new information was revealed in the New York Review of Books, proving government corruption? How did the government respond?
9. Why did the Committee have to dismiss Hellman?
10. Why did Rauh feel bad before the hearing? What did Hellman choose to feel?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)