|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hellman testify about Bradeley?
(a) He was a Communist.
(b) He was being honest.
(c) She didn't know him.
(d) He was a spy.
2. The second day Hellman shops in D.C., what does Hellman buy?
(a) A gun.
(b) New shoes.
(d) An expensive dress.
3. How much did the IRS claim Hellman owed them?
4. How did Hellman find out she'd been subpoenaed a second time?
(a) She knew instinctively.
(b) Hammett called her.
(c) She was arrested in Rome.
(d) In the paper.
5. How much did Hellman give her cab driver?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hellman sent her letter, what did she do?
2. What did Rauh do with Hellman's letter during the hearing?
3. Who was the anti-radical hero?
4. What did Blitzstein want Hellman to do at the "Regina" premier?
5. Hellman's letter was considered part of ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was unfair about asking foreign governments to assist America in their crisis?
2. What was the House Committee's response to Hellman's letter? How would she proceed with her testimony?
3. Why did Hellman go to London?
4. Why did Hellman have to stop writing when returning from Rome?
5. Was Hellman's plan to abstain from incriminating others impossible?
6. Why did the government need to convince the public that the progressive man was immoral?
7. Was Hammett happy at the end of his life? Why or why not?
8. In Hellman's opinion, who did the greatest harm to America? How?
9. How did Hellman deal with her money problems while in D.C.? Why did she act as she did?
10. Why did Hellman think intellectuals posed a threat to McCarthy?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)