|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wills describe as the resolution for the Great Depression?
(a) Foreign invasion.
(b) World War II.
(c) The McCarthy hearings.
(d) The Cold War.
2. The House Committee was the age of "guilt by _____."
3. When did McCarthy bring his first charges to the House Committee?
4. How soon did Hellman experience literary success?
(a) After several plays.
(b) After she died.
(c) After her McCarthy controversy.
(d) After her first play.
5. Wills explains that the tactics of the Committee created an environment of _______ in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Hellman begin writing in earnest?
2. By the early 1940's, what was Hellman's party affiliation?
3. While meeting with Mrs. Shipley, whose photo did Hellman see in her file?
4. What promise did Odets make to Hellman?
5. What was fortunate about Hellman's first marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Wills explains that the Cold War, like World War II, was not about fighting men or countries. What were these wars about fighting? Why was this a more formidable enemy?
2. Why did Hellman turn down the contract to write and produce four movies?
3. What would deem someone "guilty" to the House Committee?
4. Was Clifford Odets a hypocrite? How?
5. What does Hellman attribute the beginning of McCarthyism to?
6. What was Hellman's stance on the Communist Party? Why?
7. What were Hellman's opinions of how McCarthy and Nixon saw their own preaching?
8. Other than the subpoena, what troubles did Hellman face? How helpful were Hellman's friends during this time?
9. Why didn't speaking freely register as a danger to Hellman?
10. How did Hellman feel about the "friendly witnesses"?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)