|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fortas suggested Hellman only answer what type of questions?
(a) Questions about foreigners.
(b) Questions about others.
(c) Questions about herself.
(d) Questions about people already in jail.
2. Why did Elia Kazan agree to become a friendly witness?
(a) He didn't know anything.
(b) He supported the Committee.
(c) His job was threatened.
(d) He was a friendly person.
3. Hellman viewed Nixon, McCarthy, and McCarran as _______.
4. Why was Gary Cooper unsure if he'd read a script with Communist propaganda?
(a) He usually reads at night.
(b) He didn't understand Communism.
(c) He didn't pay attention.
(d) He didn't read scripts.
5. What did Hellman tell Shipley about the friendly witnesses?
(a) They're really good people.
(b) They are traitors.
(c) They were spies for McCarthy all along.
(d) They lied to keep their jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dashiell Hammett's job?
2. Wills sees institutions like the House Committee as what?
3. Why was Hammett sent to jail after testifying?
4. What did Hellman admire about the radicals?
5. What was Hammett's prediction for the outcome of Hellman's testimony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hellman attribute the beginning of McCarthyism to?
2. In Hellman's opinion, what caused Communism to grow in popularity among Americans?
3. Why didn't speaking freely register as a danger to Hellman?
4. How did Hellman receive a rude awakening after Hammett's imprisonment?
5. How was Truman able to get reelected in 1948?
6. What would deem someone "guilty" to the House Committee?
7. Why did Hammett end up going to jail?
8. Who created the Blacklist and House Committee and what was its purpose?
9. How was Gary Cooper taunting the government during his hearing?
10. How did Hellman change people's approach to the McCarthy hearings when called to testify?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)