|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hellman believe was a common right among men and the reason she accepted the Communist Party?
(a) The right to vote.
(b) The right to overthrow a government.
(c) The right to bear arms.
(d) The right to one's own feelings.
2. Why was Hellman in a good position for her testimony?
(a) The panel didn't see her as a threat.
(b) She was good at persuasion.
(c) No one testified against her.
(d) She didn't know much about others' activities.
3. How soon did Hellman experience literary success?
(a) After her first play.
(b) After several plays.
(c) After she died.
(d) After her McCarthy controversy.
4. Fortas called the Fifth Amendment ______.
(b) A cop out.
(c) A hoax.
(d) A gift.
5. When Hellman got subpoenaed, she felt _______ at first.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Hellman to travel, what did she need?
2. The House Committee was originally intended to test the loyalty of ______.
3. Wills explains that the tactics of the Committee created an environment of _______ in America.
4. What does Wills describe as the resolution for the Great Depression?
5. What was Hammett's prediction for the outcome of Hellman's testimony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't speaking freely register as a danger to Hellman?
2. How was Truman able to get reelected in 1948?
3. How did Hellman plan to approach her testimony? Why did she plan to take this action?
4. How did America's post-World War II attitude fuel the start of the Cold War?
5. Was Hellman a Communist? Why did the government scrutinize her?
6. How was Hellman nearly unaffected by the depression?
7. What were Hellman's opinions of how McCarthy and Nixon saw their own preaching?
8. Was Clifford Odets a hypocrite? How?
9. How did Hellman change people's approach to the McCarthy hearings when called to testify?
10. In Hellman's opinion, what caused Communism to grow in popularity among Americans?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)