|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hellman believe caused people to join the Communist Party after the depression?
(b) Social unrest.
2. The American government equated Communism with _______.
(b) A revolution.
3. What do people often and inaccurately accredit to McCarthy?
(a) The Watergate Scandal.
(b) Truman's election.
(c) A major terrorist attack.
(d) The Blacklist.
4. What commonly happened to people found guilty?
(a) Loss of their job.
(c) High praise.
5. Hellman attributes _______ to the Russian Revolution.
(a) World War I.
(b) World War II.
(d) Thr Iraq War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rauh found articles with Communist sources ______ Hellman's work.
2. What does Wills describe as the resolution for the Great Depression?
3. Hellman was considered a ________, not a Communist.
4. Because of Hellman's money problem, she was afraid she would have to sell her ______.
5. While meeting with Mrs. Shipley, whose photo did Hellman see in her file?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who created the Blacklist and House Committee and what was its purpose?
2. How did Hammett respond to Hellman's plan to testify? Why did he react this way?
3. How did Hellman change people's approach to the McCarthy hearings when called to testify?
4. Was Clifford Odets a hypocrite? How?
5. How were Hollywood producers under a lot of pressure during the McCarthy hearings?
6. How was Truman able to get reelected in 1948?
7. In the House Committee, how did measures progress after Hoover joined?
8. What would deem someone "guilty" to the House Committee?
9. How was Hellman nearly unaffected by the depression?
10. Other than the subpoena, what troubles did Hellman face? How helpful were Hellman's friends during this time?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)