|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of "Scoundrel Time," Hellman writes she still feels _____ by these events.
2. Why did Hellman go to Rauh's office before her hearing?
(a) To go over her answers.
(b) So they could arrive together.
(c) To pay him.
(d) To tell him her new plan.
3. What did Blitzstein want Hellman to do at the "Regina" premier?
(a) Star in the play.
(b) Sing in the play.
(c) Play an instrument in the play.
(d) Narrate the play.
4. Hellman explains the government saw intellectuals as ______.
5. What did the article say about the proof against Alger Hiss?
(a) It was trumped up.
(b) It was legitimate.
(c) It was not regarding Hiss.
(d) There wasn't any.
6. What did Hammett not have in his last year of life?
(a) Warm clothes.
(c) Enough food.
(d) Money worries.
7. After returning to America, where did Hellman have to work to earn money?
(a) A factory.
(b) The Communist Party office.
(c) A department store.
(d) A publisher.
8. Hellman's letter was considered part of ______.
(a) Hellman's dillusions.
(b) Her record.
(d) Communist propoganda.
9. After her hearing, what play gained Hellman more success?
(a) "The Little Foxes."
(b) "Toys in the Attic."
(c) "The Children's Hour."
(d) "The Autumn Garden."
10. What did Harry do before his hearing?
(a) Got drunk.
(b) Memorized his answers.
(d) Went on vacation.
11. What did Rauh do with Hellman's letter during the hearing?
(a) Threw it out.
(b) Revised it.
(c) Presented it as evidence.
(d) Referred to it.
12. Where did Hellman begin writing "Scoundrel Time"?
(c) Martha's Vineyard.
13. How did Hellman find out who was following her?
(a) She kept an eye out.
(b) She bribed the hotel workers.
(c) She hired an investigator.
(d) She set a trap.
14. Hellman believed _______ caused the most damage to America.
(c) The Great Depression.
(d) World War II.
15. If Hellman didn't heed the Committee's threats, what would happen to her?
(a) She'd lose her job.
(b) She'd be fined.
(c) She would be shunned.
(d) She'd go to jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What magazine published the article about Whittaker Chambers?
2. What did Hellman have to do for money after her hearing?
3. Hellman writes, "Nixon is a ______ liar."
4. How did Hellman find out she'd been subpoenaed a second time?
5. The Committee's neglect of Hellman's letter was a ______.
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)