|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Hellman in Russia?
(a) To write.
(b) To meet with Communists.
(c) To hide from the Americans.
(d) As a cultural representative.
2. After returning to America, where did Hellman have to work to earn money?
(a) A publisher.
(b) A department store.
(c) A factory.
(d) The Communist Party office.
3. Hellman's letter was considered part of ______.
(b) Communist propoganda.
(c) Hellman's dillusions.
(d) Her record.
4. How did the Committee respond to Hellman's letter?
(a) They accepted.
(b) They refused.
(c) They gave her a rain check.
(d) They never responded.
5. In demonizing people, the government was looking to justify ______.
6. Marc Blitzstein wrote "Regina," based on Hellman's play ________.
(a) "The Children's Hour."
(b) "The Little Foxes."
(c) "The Autumn Garden."
(d) "Toys in the Attic."
7. Hellman told the committee she could either testify her way or she'd what?
(a) Not answer any questions.
(b) Flee the country.
(c) Cause a scene.
(d) Write a satirical play.
8. The government convinced people that progressive men were _______.
9. How did Hellman revise her plan for her testimony?
(a) She would invoke the Fifth Amendment.
(b) She would run away.
(c) She would lie about everything.
(d) She would speak honestly about everyone.
10. What was strange about the page?
(a) It sounded suspicious.
(b) She never got invited anywhere.
(c) The Contessa died.
(d) No one knew Hellman was in London.
11. What would Hellman do at her hearing?
(a) Plead the Fifth.
(b) Insult the Committee.
(c) Answer questions about herself.
12. Hellman wanted to testify about herself, but not ______.
(a) The weather.
(b) Her childhood.
(c) Her writing.
13. Hellman believed _______ caused the most damage to America.
(b) The Great Depression.
(c) World War II.
14. If Hellman didn't heed the Committee's threats, what would happen to her?
(a) She would be shunned.
(b) She'd lose her job.
(c) She'd be fined.
(d) She'd go to jail.
15. How did Hellman find out who was following her?
(a) She hired an investigator.
(b) She set a trap.
(c) She kept an eye out.
(d) She bribed the hotel workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before her hearing, Hellman decided not to feel ______.
2. How did the panel members react to Hellman's answers?
3. Why did McCarthy plant the newspaper story?
4. After Hellman sent her letter, what did she do?
5. What magazine published the article about Whittaker Chambers?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)