|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rauh found articles with Communist sources ______ Hellman's work.
2. Why didn't Hellman use the articles Rauh found?
(a) The Committee wouldn't allow it.
(b) They weren't strong enough.
(c) They would hurt her chances.
(d) She would reduce herself.
3. In school and work, Hellman saw herself as an _____ thinker.
4. Before Hellman's politics developed, what did she miss?
(a) A Communist uprising.
(b) The first round of Hollywood investigations.
(c) The development of the Communist Party.
(d) A cultural revolution.
5. What do people often and inaccurately accredit to McCarthy?
(a) Truman's election.
(b) The Watergate Scandal.
(c) The Blacklist.
(d) A major terrorist attack.
6. Hellman's first published play was:
(a) Toys in the Attic.
(b) The Children's Hour.
(c) The Autumn Garden.
(d) The Little Foxes.
7. While meeting with Mrs. Shipley, whose photo did Hellman see in her file?
(a) Charlie Chaplin.
(c) Her own.
8. Fortas suggested Hellman only answer what type of questions?
(a) Questions about herself.
(b) Questions about people already in jail.
(c) Questions about foreigners.
(d) Questions about others.
9. After the war, what governmental entity wanted to keep up their power?
(a) The Board of Education.
(c) The President.
10. How was the Blacklist used against people?
(a) It was sent to their families.
(b) It was attached to their resume.
(c) It was published.
(d) It was used as blackmail.
11. Hammett compared his time in jail to ______.
(c) Boarding school.
(d) A resort.
12. Wills believes America needed what to start a new war?
(a) More money.
(b) An enemy.
(c) More weapons.
(d) A stronger president.
13. How did Hollywoodites maintain their innocence?
(a) Fake support.
(b) By accusing innocent people.
(c) Pleading the Fifth Amendment.
(d) By running away.
14. How soon did Hellman experience literary success?
(a) After her first play.
(b) After she died.
(c) After several plays.
(d) After her McCarthy controversy.
15. The House Committee was originally intended to test the loyalty of ______.
(c) Federal workers.
(d) United States citizens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Gary Cooper unsure if he'd read a script with Communist propaganda?
2. How did Hammett think people would feel about Hellman's high morals?
3. What wire did Laughton receive?
4. Why did Stanley Isaacs lose an assistant?
5. With the House, how were people's loyalties originally tested?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)