|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The American government equated Communism with _______.
(c) A revolution.
2. When did Hellman begin writing in earnest?
(a) When she finished school.
(b) When she divorced.
(c) When she got tired of relying on Hammett.
(d) When she began to travel.
3. Wills believes America needed what to start a new war?
(a) A stronger president.
(b) An enemy.
(c) More weapons.
(d) More money.
4. Where did Whittaker Chambers hide the "state secrets"?
(a) A carved out pumpkin.
(b) A deserted lot.
(c) His house.
(d) His son's toy chest.
5. What happened at Odets' testimony?
(a) He lied.
(b) He invoked the Fifth Amendment.
(c) He betrayed his friends.
(d) He spoke out againt McCarthy.
6. The House Committee was the age of "guilt by _____."
7. Fortas suggested Hellman only answer what type of questions?
(a) Questions about others.
(b) Questions about herself.
(c) Questions about foreigners.
(d) Questions about people already in jail.
8. In school and work, Hellman saw herself as an _____ thinker.
9. Truman created the House Committee on _______ Activities.
10. Why didn't Hellman sign the letter Harry Cohn required her to?
(a) Rauh advised her not to.
(b) It was a trap.
(c) It was ridiculous.
(d) She couldn't understand it.
11. Why didn't Hellman use the articles Rauh found?
(a) They weren't strong enough.
(b) She would reduce herself.
(c) They would hurt her chances.
(d) The Committee wouldn't allow it.
12. How did Gary Cooper's testimony mock McCarthy?
(a) He used poor grammar.
(b) He used profanity.
(c) He mimicked his voice.
(d) It was nonsensical.
13. What helped Truman get re-elected in 1948?
(a) The environment of fear created.
(b) The inadequacy of his opponents.
(c) His good leadership.
(d) His concern for children.
14. Until Hammett got arrested, Hellman didn't realize the dangers of:
(a) Speaking one's mind.
(b) Being a Communist.
(c) Being a writer.
(d) Living alone.
15. After Hellman learned some German, what did she realize about her peers?
(a) They thought they won the war.
(b) There were a lot of anti-Semitic conversations.
(c) They all hated her.
(d) They were all trying to come to America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hellman believe caused people to join the Communist Party after the depression?
2. While meeting with Mrs. Shipley, whose photo did Hellman see in her file?
3. How did Hammett think people would feel about Hellman's high morals?
4. Why was Gary Cooper unsure if he'd read a script with Communist propaganda?
5. What did the IRS do to Hammett's money?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)