|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hellman explains that, when it comes to a bad experience, what kind of person is she?
(a) She soon forgets everything.
(b) She doesn't hold grudges.
(c) She forgives, but never forgets.
(d) She carries it with her forever.
2. How did Hellman feel after Roosevelt's election?
3. How did the government react to the phrase "premature anti-fascist"?
(a) They assassinated the person who sent it.
(b) They subpeonad more people.
(c) They got angry.
(d) They were unsure how to respond.
4. Why did Hellman go to Germany?
(a) To help clean up.
(b) To go to college.
(c) To find her family.
(d) To meet a celebrity.
5. What did Hellman believe was a common right among men and the reason she accepted the Communist Party?
(a) The right to one's own feelings.
(b) The right to overthrow a government.
(c) The right to vote.
(d) The right to bear arms.
6. Wills sees the Cold War offensive as an ______ to the threat of the enemy.
7. What happened at Odets' testimony?
(a) He spoke out againt McCarthy.
(b) He betrayed his friends.
(c) He lied.
(d) He invoked the Fifth Amendment.
8. Who would be listed on the Blacklist?d
(a) People suspected of disloyalty.
(c) Former government officials.
9. When Hellman got subpoenaed, she felt _______ at first.
10. What did Norman Cousins say at the World Peace Conference?
(a) They needed to recruit more supporters.
(b) He admired their conviction.
(c) How wrong everyone was.
(d) The government didn't have time for them.
11. How did Hollywoodites maintain their innocence?
(a) Fake support.
(b) By accusing innocent people.
(c) By running away.
(d) Pleading the Fifth Amendment.
12. How soon did Hellman experience literary success?
(a) After her first play.
(b) After she died.
(c) After her McCarthy controversy.
(d) After several plays.
13. Fortas called the Fifth Amendment ______.
(a) A hoax.
(c) A cop out.
(d) A gift.
14. The House Committee was the age of "guilt by _____."
15. When did McCarthy bring his first charges to the House Committee?
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Hellman a target for suspicion by the Committee?
2. While meeting with Mrs. Shipley, whose photo did Hellman see in her file?
3. Hellman found it ________ to write about her experiences during the McCarthy hearings.
4. What was the last straw for America to acknowledge the "Red threat"?
5. What did the IRS do to Hammett's money?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)