|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before her hearing, Hellman had to go to _____ for a script consultation.
(a) New York.
2. Abe Fortas expressed that he wanted what to happen at a hearing?
(a) Someone to take a moral stand.
(b) Someone to cause a scene.
(c) Someone to assassinate McCarthy.
(d) Someone to reveal a secret.
3. While meeting with Mrs. Shipley, whose photo did Hellman see in her file?
(b) Charlie Chaplin.
(c) Her own.
4. What wire did Laughton receive?
(a) A message in code.
(b) A notification of a friend's death.
(c) A foreign threat.
(d) A subpoena.
5. When did McCarthy bring his first charges to the House Committee?
6. At the end of World War II, who was the enemy?
7. When did America first see Russia as a threat?
(a) When their economy improved.
(b) When they acted aggressively towards Western Europe.
(c) When they sent threats to America.
(d) When they became Communist.
8. Why didn't Hellman sign the letter Harry Cohn required her to?
(a) She couldn't understand it.
(b) It was a trap.
(c) Rauh advised her not to.
(d) It was ridiculous.
9. Hellman attributes _______ to the Russian Revolution.
(b) Thr Iraq War.
(c) World War II.
(d) World War I.
10. How soon did Hellman experience literary success?
(a) After her McCarthy controversy.
(b) After several plays.
(c) After she died.
(d) After her first play.
11. What was Hellman's "sin" after gaining literary success?
(a) Being egotistical.
(b) Drinking too much.
(d) Being lazy.
12. What did Hellman believe were McCarthy's real convictions?
(a) He wanted to promote art.
(b) He didn't want to go to war.
(c) He didn't believe his own preaching.
(d) He wanted money.
13. Because of Hellman's money problem, she was afraid she would have to sell her ______.
(a) Mother's jewelry.
14. What did the IRS do to Hammett's money?
(a) Borrowed it.
(b) Left it alone.
(c) Took it.
(d) Froze it.
15. The American government equated Communism with _______.
(d) A revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hellman got subpoenaed, she felt _______ at first.
2. What distressed Clifford Odets about Hellman's testimony?
3. What helped Truman get re-elected in 1948?
4. Wills believes America's feeling of _______ made them want to find more war.
5. How did Hammett feel about Hellman's testimony?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)