|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama choose to do instead of visiting Randy?
2. Who did Tito tell about what happened that night in the park?
3. Who helps Indian beat Jamal?
4. Why does Tito not accept the gift Jamal tries to give him before he leaves?
5. Where does Tito's father live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jamal contact Indian to tell him to be the new leader?
2. Why won't Jamal let Tito come to his house?
3. What does Mama do when she gets home from the hospital?
4. Why was Tito late to go with Jamal to meet with Indian?
5. What does Mr. Davidson say when Jamal comes to the school nurse?
6. What happened when Abuela found the gun that Tito was hiding?
7. What does Jamal spend his money from his job on?
8. How does Mack say Angel and Indian were shot?
9. What happened when Tito told Abuela about what he did in the park?
10. What does Jamal think about as he runs home from Tito's house after the shooting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belonging and security were two themes present in this novel. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 2
Jamal saw the men in his life making his mother cry, and promised himself to never do the same thing. How did Jamal go about keeping this promise, and how did this shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Tito and Jamal are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)