|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Mama allow Jamal to speak with Mack?
2. Where was Randy when he was arrested?
3. Why does Indian say Jamal can't quit the gang?
4. What does Mama choose to do instead of visiting Randy?
5. Who does Mack say he will now be working for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tito's idea to get Indian to help pay for Randy's appeal?
2. What does Dwayne say when he and his mother are in the principal's office?
3. What happens as Tito's cab is driving away?
4. What does Jamal spend his money from his job on?
5. How does Jamal hear that Randy got hurt?
6. Why was Tito late to go with Jamal to meet with Indian?
7. What does Dwayne threaten to do after he loses the fight to Jamal, and how does Jamal respond to this?
8. What does Jamal say he would have done if Dwayne had pushed him, and how does Tito respond?
9. Why does Jamal lose his job?
10. What does Mama do when she gets home from the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gun was a major symbol in this book. Where did the gun come from, and how did it change Jamal's actions and thoughts?
Essay Topic 2
What were Jamal's thoughts on education, and how did this change his actions. How did this ideal of his change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Jamal endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)