|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Tito tell about what happened that night in the park?
2. What does Tito do when Jamal says he saved his life?
3. Where is Mr. Davidson transferring Jamal?
4. Why does Indian say Jamal can't quit the gang?
5. How many shots are fired when Jamal is getting beat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Tito late to go with Jamal to meet with Indian?
2. What does Jamal say he would have done if Dwayne had pushed him, and how does Tito respond?
3. What happens when Blood sees Jamal working at the Bodega?
4. Why won't Jamal let Tito come to his house?
5. What does Mr. Davidson say when Jamal comes to the school nurse?
6. What is Tito's idea to get Indian to help pay for Randy's appeal?
7. What happened when Abuela found the gun that Tito was hiding?
8. How does Mack say Angel and Indian were shot?
9. How does Jamal contact Indian to tell him to be the new leader?
10. What does Dwayne say when he and his mother are in the principal's office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What did Jamal do at the boat basin, and how did what happened there change his ideas on life?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)