|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mama bring to the house to pray for Randy?
2. Who is Mr. Stanton?
3. What does Jamal buy for himself before he meets with Indian?
4. How does the new medication make Jamal feel?
5. What would Jamal have done if Dwayne had pushed him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Tito's cab is driving away?
2. What happened when Abuela found the gun that Tito was hiding?
3. Why does Jamal lose his job?
4. What does Dwayne say when he and his mother are in the principal's office?
5. What does Jamal see after he hears the three shots of the gun?
6. What does Dwayne threaten to do after he loses the fight to Jamal, and how does Jamal respond to this?
7. How does Jamal contact Indian to tell him to be the new leader?
8. What does Mr. Davidson say when Jamal comes to the school nurse?
9. What does Jamal say he would have done if Dwayne had pushed him, and how does Tito respond?
10. How does Mack say Angel and Indian were shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gangs were a very prevalent theme in this book. How did this theme affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might the author have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)