|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jamal feel during his meeting with the gang?
2. Why does Jamal like his favorite teacher?
3. Why did Mama leave Jamal's father?
4. What piece of clothing belonging to Dwayne does Jamal rip?
5. What do Jamal's teachers all tell him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jamal start walking after his fight with Dwayne, and who goes with him?
2. What does Jamal think about as he goes home after talking to Mack?
3. What does Dwayne do after his first fight with Jamal?
4. Why does Tito say the gang might let Jamal be their leader?
5. How long was Randy sentenced to jail, and what does Jamal think of this?
6. Why does Miss Brown want Jamal to stay after school one day?
7. What did Jamal do at the beginning of the fight that really angered Dwayne?
8. What does Jamal do when the gang starts arguing about Jamal being the new leader of the gang?
9. What does the class bully make fun of Jamal for?
10. How does Mama hurt herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jamal saw the men in his life making his mother cry, and promised himself to never do the same thing. How did Jamal go about keeping this promise, and how did this shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might the author have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Tito and Jamal are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)