|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the bulk of this book set?
2. How old was Willie when Randy was arrested?
3. Why does Jamal get sent to the principal so often?
4. How long does Randy have to wait for probation?
5. How does Mama hurt her hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jamal feel about the fathering Jevon does when he is around?
2. What does Jamal do to intimidate Dwayne and ultimately win the fight?
3. What makes Jamal's day better after he gets home from helping paint the sets?
4. How does Mama hurt herself?
5. Who does Randy want Jamal to talk to, and how does Mama feel about this?
6. What does Jamal think about as he goes home after talking to Mack?
7. Why does Jamal not want to be like his brother?
8. What is Tito worried about when he sees that Jamal brought the gun to school, and how does Jamal calm him down?
9. What does Mama ask Jamal when she gets home at the beginning of the book?
10. What does Jamal think about as he walks away from his fight with Dwayne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might the author have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
The gun was a major symbol in this book. Where did the gun come from, and how did it change Jamal's actions and thoughts?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)