|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Jamal do in the job he considers taking after talking with Mack?
2. Where does Jamal meet with the gang?
3. What does Jamal do when he gets home after his fight with Dwayne?
4. What does everyone say about Mack?
5. What does Jamal want to own one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jamal think about as he walks away from his fight with Dwayne?
2. Why does Jamal not want to be like his brother?
3. What does Jamal do to intimidate Dwayne and ultimately win the fight?
4. Why did Randy get a longer sentence than the other two people involved in the same crime?
5. How does Mama plan to raise the money she says she needs at the beginning of the book?
6. How does Jamal feel when he has the gun?
7. How does Jamal feel about his father, and why?
8. What does Jamal do after he is badly beaten in his fight with Dwayne?
9. What does Mama ask Jamal when she gets home at the beginning of the book?
10. What makes Jamal's day better after he gets home from helping paint the sets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)