|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jamal never want to fight with?
2. What would Jamal do in the job he considers taking after talking with Mack?
3. What is the gun hidden in when the fight begins?
4. Why does Jamal's little sister engage in the habit that is so annoying to Jamal?
5. Who goes with Jamal after he is sent to the principal's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the class bully make fun of Jamal for?
2. What is Tito worried about when he sees that Jamal brought the gun to school, and how does Jamal calm him down?
3. Why does Jamal not want to be like his brother?
4. What does Jamal think about as he walks away from his fight with Dwayne?
5. How does Jamal feel when he gets home after his meeting with the Scorpions?
6. How long was Randy sentenced to jail, and what does Jamal think of this?
7. How does Jamal feel when he has the gun?
8. What does Jamal do after he is badly beaten in his fight with Dwayne?
9. What makes Jamal's day better after he gets home from helping paint the sets?
10. What does Jamal think about as he goes home after talking to Mack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might the author have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
What were Jamal's thoughts on education, and how did this change his actions. How did this ideal of his change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)