* Jamal and his sister Sassy are waiting for their mother. It is late, and Jamal is worried even though he says he is not.
* Sassy asks him questions. Jamal says she likes to tattle as a way to feel more important.
* Mama finally comes home at midnight. She asks if they ate dinner, and they did. She says she need $500 for Randy's lawyers.
* Randy is Jamal's brother and he is in jail. He was sentenced for 20 years, and will get probation in 7. Jamal will be 19 then.
* Now that Randy is not home, Sassy sleeps in the small bedroom, and Jamal sleeps on the pull-out bed in the living room.
* The hot water has been turned off, so they have to take cold showers. There are no eggs for breakfast.
* Mama says Randy asked Jamal to talk to Mack about the Scorpions. She does not like this...
This section contains 1,802 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)