|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When William first arrives at the Megalopolitan building, he finds it:
2. Which activity is Mrs. Stitch NOT performing from her bed when John Boot visits?
(a) Answering the crossword.
(b) Signing cheques.
(c) Knitting a quilt.
(d) Deciding on costumes for a charity ballet.
3. How much of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s deck is given up to the captain's quarters?
(a) A quarter.
(b) A third.
(c) Almost all.
4. For what do the initials of Corker's agency "U.N." stand?
(a) Universe News.
(b) United News.
(c) Universal News.
(d) Unlimited Nationals.
5. How many copies of John Boot's novel sell in their first year?
6. How does Mr. Salter always answer Lord Copper when the latter is incorrect?
(a) "Within reason, Lord Copper."
(b) "It is possible."
(c) "Definitely, Lord Copper."
(d) "Up to a point."
7. For what does William's companion on the train thank William?
(a) For the use of his lighter.
(b) For conversing with him.
(c) For shooing off the Swiss waiter.
(d) For allowing him on his plane.
8. What animal does the Captain of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s wife keep as a pet?
(a) A lethargic snake.
(b) A hairless dog.
(c) A screaming monkey.
(d) A frisky cat.
9. What is William's initial destination on his way to Ishmaelia?
10. What phrase does Corker tell William to cable back to London regarding Aden's military preparedness?
(a) "Aden warwise."
(b) "Aden unwarwise."
(c) "Aden hot."
(d) "Arrived in Aden, staying."
11. What are the last two items William adds to his kit from the equipment emporium?
(a) Two cleft sticks.
(b) A set of surgical instruments and portable humidor.
(c) A Christmas hamper and Santa Claus costume.
(d) A coil of rope and a sheet of tin.
12. What word describes William Boot's opinion of his visits to London?
13. At what time of the evening does Mrs. Stitch invariably go home, according to John Boot?
(a) 11 p.m.
(c) 2 a.m.
(d) 1 a.m.
14. Who is the proprietor of <i>The Daily Brute</i>?
(a) Sir Maubray.
(b) Mr. Salter.
(c) Lord Copper.
(d) Lord Zinc.
15. To what does "unnatural" correspond in the telegram William receives at Aden?
(a) Universal News.
(b) Sea travel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the companion's valet on the train?
2. How many times has Corker left England previous to the Ishmaelia expedition?
3. For how long has Mrs. Stitch been stranded in her car when William arrives?
4. What is the name of the woman who attends William in the equipment emporium?
5. What has Nannie Bloggs promised William if ever she wins the Irish Sweepstakes?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)