|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does William use to describe the captain's wife to Corker upon first meeting the latter?
2. What longtime secret ambition of William's is near to fulfillment towards the end of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) To leave England.
(b) To fly in a plane.
(c) To cover a big story.
(d) To visit a foreign country.
3. How many lords are on staff at the Megalopolitan office?
4. What is the cost to transport William's luggage to his first destination?
(a) 301 pounds.
(b) 130 pounds.
(c) 107 pounds.
(d) 103 pounds.
5. What city is Mr. Salter attempting to locate in an atlas on occasion of his first meeting with William Boot?
6. What time of day does John Boot visit the Stitch residence?
(a) 11 a.m.
(b) 7 a.m.
(c) 12 p.m.
(d) 3 p.m.
7. How long does Mrs. Stitch take in the bath while John Boot waits?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) 5 minutes.
(c) 25 minutes.
(d) 10 minutes.
8. William's heart is described as rising with the plane the first time he takes off. To what is this compared?
9. For how long has Mrs. Stitch been stranded in her car when William arrives?
(a) Four minutes.
(b) Seventy-two minutes.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Half an hour.
10. What position does John Boot initially seek from Mr. Stitch as a means of foreign employ?
(a) A diplomatic ambassador.
(b) A wartime correspondent.
(c) A trade representative.
(d) A position of espionage.
11. To what street is William suddenly whisked off to in a taxi in order to cover a story regarding Mrs. Stitch?
(a) Walker Street.
(b) St. Bride's Avenue.
(c) Fleet Street.
(d) Sloane Street.
12. For what item is William asked at the very end of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) His typewriter.
(b) A hundred pounds.
(c) An autograph.
(d) His passport.
13. What does the American girl, believing that he is going to Ishmaelia, give to John Boot as a good luck charm?
(a) A metal cross.
(b) A bog-oak pig.
(c) A locket with her picture.
(d) A wet rabbit's foot.
14. At what time does Mr. Salter awake William by telephone while the latter is at the hotel?
(a) 10 a.m.
(b) 4 a.m.
(c) 8 a.m.
(d) 1 p.m.
15. Into what airport does William fly after leaving England?
(a) Aeroport de Marseilles.
(b) Brussels Airport.
(c) Aeroports de Paris.
(d) Le Bourget.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s deck is given up to the captain's quarters?
2. What famous reporter has <i>The Daily Beast</i> recently lost to a competitor?
3. Which member of the Boot family owns the motor car?
4. Which activity is Mrs. Stitch NOT performing from her bed when John Boot visits?
5. What is the new word which Josephine learns and uses to describe many things to John Boot?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)