|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what school is the man William meets at the first Ishmaelite Legation a graduate?
(a) Yale University.
(b) Cambridge University.
(c) The Baptist College of Antigua.
(d) King's College London.
2. Where does John Boot wish to be sent, as revealed in his private conversation with Mrs. Stitch?
3. How much of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s deck is given up to the captain's quarters?
(a) A third.
(b) Almost all.
(c) A quarter.
4. Which activity is Mrs. Stitch NOT performing from her bed when John Boot visits?
(a) Knitting a quilt.
(b) Deciding on costumes for a charity ballet.
(c) Signing cheques.
(d) Answering the crossword.
5. Which Roman author is Josephine reading on John Boot's arrival?
(a) Marcus Aurelius.
6. What animal does the Captain of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s wife keep as a pet?
(a) A lethargic snake.
(b) A screaming monkey.
(c) A hairless dog.
(d) A frisky cat.
7. What are the last two items William adds to his kit from the equipment emporium?
(a) A set of surgical instruments and portable humidor.
(b) A Christmas hamper and Santa Claus costume.
(c) A coil of rope and a sheet of tin.
(d) Two cleft sticks.
8. Which member of the Boot family owns the house and estate?
(a) Theodore Boot.
(b) Bernard Boot.
(c) Roderick Boot.
(d) William Boot.
9. With how many other passengers does William fly on his way to Paris?
10. What is the name of the companion's valet on the train?
11. What phrase does Corker tell William to cable back to London regarding Aden's military preparedness?
(a) "Aden hot."
(b) "Aden warwise."
(c) "Aden unwarwise."
(d) "Arrived in Aden, staying."
12. What beverage does Mr. Salter assume William Boot enjoys?
13. What bizarre claim does the pseudo-consul of the second Ishmaelite Legation make?
(a) That he was brought up in Japan.
(b) That the Ishmaelite government has been around since the time of Caesar.
(c) That the Ishmaelites are an Aryan race.
(d) That true Ishmaelites are immortal.
14. How many copies of John Boot's novel sell in their first year?
15. What is the name of the ship in which William must travel to Aden?
(a) <i>The Narcissus</i>.
(b) <i>Le Mequerrie</i>.
(c) <i>The Francmacon</i>.
(d) <i> The Fremonque</i>.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of William Boot's regular column in <i>The Daily Beast</i>?
2. What does the American girl, believing that he is going to Ishmaelia, give to John Boot as a good luck charm?
3. After conversing with William about their respective destinations, William's companion on the train begins to read what?
4. For how long has Mrs. Stitch been stranded in her car when William arrives?
5. What object does Corker purchase for himself while at Steamer Point?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)