|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time does Mr. Salter awake William by telephone while the latter is at the hotel?
(a) 8 a.m.
(b) 10 a.m.
(c) 4 a.m.
(d) 1 p.m.
2. What food do William, the French administrator, and the administrator's children reject while dining on the <i>Francmacon</i>?
(a) Hot, pepper-covered fish.
(b) Old, greasy ham.
(c) Cold, white fish.
(d) Shriveled oysters.
3. How does Mr. Salter always answer Lord Copper when the latter is incorrect?
(a) "Within reason, Lord Copper."
(b) "Up to a point."
(c) "It is possible."
(d) "Definitely, Lord Copper."
4. What has Nannie Bloggs promised William if ever she wins the Irish Sweepstakes?
(a) To buy him a car.
(b) To take him in a plane.
(c) To take him across seas.
(d) To send him to journalism school.
5. With whom does William meet at the first Ishmaelite Legation?
(a) The Exiled Prime Minister.
(b) The Foreign Ambassador.
(c) Doctor Cohen.
(d) The Consul-General.
6. How does Josephine Stitch always greet John Boot?
(a) By kissing him.
(b) By hugging him.
(c) By kicking him.
(d) By punching him.
7. William's heart is described as rising with the plane the first time he takes off. To what is this compared?
8. How many copies of John Boot's novel sell in their first year?
9. For what paper does Mr. Pappenhacker work?
(a) <i>The Daily Beast</i>.
(b) <i>The Twopence</i>.
(c) <i>The Daily Brute</i>.
(d) <i>The Messageries Maritimes</i>.
10. What position does John Boot initially seek from Mr. Stitch as a means of foreign employ?
(a) A diplomatic ambassador.
(b) A position of espionage.
(c) A trade representative.
(d) A wartime correspondent.
11. What object does Corker purchase for himself while at Steamer Point?
(a) A tribal mask.
(b) An elephant of synthetic ivory.
(c) A tiny leather rhinocerous.
(d) A ceramic pig.
12. How does William's train companion relate making the acquaintance of his valet?
(a) They met at an English pub.
(b) They went to church together.
(c) They both once worked at <i>The Daily Brute</i>.
(d) They served together in the war.
13. How many servants attend to the Boot family?
14. What is William's initial destination on his way to Ishmaelia?
15. To what street is William suddenly whisked off to in a taxi in order to cover a story regarding Mrs. Stitch?
(a) Sloane Street.
(b) Walker Street.
(c) St. Bride's Avenue.
(d) Fleet Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Roman author is Josephine reading on John Boot's arrival?
2. With what animal does Priscilla mischievously replace the animal on which William Boot had written for his recent Lush Places article?
3. How many children does the French colonial administrator have?
4. How many lords are on staff at the Megalopolitan office?
5. What is the cost to transport William's luggage to his first destination?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)