|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When William first arrives at the Megalopolitan building, he finds it:
2. In what month do the events of the <i>Scoop</i> begin to unfold?
3. How much of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s deck is given up to the captain's quarters?
(a) A quarter.
(b) Almost all.
(c) A third.
4. How long does Mrs. Stitch take in the bath while John Boot waits?
(a) 25 minutes.
(b) 5 minutes.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) 10 minutes.
5. What items does Lord Copper especially impress upon William to take on his trip?
(a) Copies of <i>The Daily Beast</i>.
(b) Hiking boots.
(c) Cleft sticks.
(d) Water-proof pens.
6. What word does William use to describe the captain's wife to Corker upon first meeting the latter?
7. How many times has Corker left England previous to the Ishmaelia expedition?
(d) Dozens of times.
8. For how long has Mrs. Stitch been stranded in her car when William arrives?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Half an hour.
(c) Four minutes.
(d) Seventy-two minutes.
9. Why is William perplexed by the telegram he receives from <i>The Daily Beast</i> while at Aden?
(a) The text of the telegram is garbled.
(b) The telegram is addressed to John Boot.
(c) He cannot understand the lingo.
(d) The telegram tells him to return to London.
10. For what does William's companion on the train thank William?
(a) For the use of his lighter.
(b) For shooing off the Swiss waiter.
(c) For conversing with him.
(d) For allowing him on his plane.
11. What phrase does Corker tell William to cable back to London regarding Aden's military preparedness?
(a) "Aden unwarwise."
(b) "Aden hot."
(c) "Aden warwise."
(d) "Arrived in Aden, staying."
12. After whose style has William Boot modeled his writing?
(a) Hillaire Belloc.
(b) The late rector of Boot Magna.
(c) Lord Copper.
(d) John Courteney Boot.
13. On what animal has William Boot composed one of his "more finished essays," as reported in Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) The great crested grebe.
(b) The badger.
(c) The willow-tailed fox.
(d) The wolf.
14. What beverage does Mr. Salter assume William Boot enjoys?
15. How many members of the Boot family live in Boot Magna Hall?
Short Answer Questions
1. What side of the Ishmaelite conflict does Lord Copper insist is in the right?
2. For what item is William asked at the very end of Book 1, Chapter 3?
3. What unfortunately happens to William's first passport?
4. What are the last two items William adds to his kit from the equipment emporium?
5. Who is the most valued friend of John Boot?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)