|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which member of the Boot family owns the motor car?
(a) Uncle Theodore.
(b) Uncle Roderick.
(c) Aunt Anne.
(d) Priscilla Boot.
2. Why does Mrs. Stitch prefer the sort of car she drives?
(a) It designates her social status.
(b) It does not use much petrol.
(c) It can carry a lot of luggage.
(d) It fits on the curb.
3. What is the new word which Josephine learns and uses to describe many things to John Boot?
4. Of what school is the man William meets at the first Ishmaelite Legation a graduate?
(a) Cambridge University.
(b) King's College London.
(c) Yale University.
(d) The Baptist College of Antigua.
5. What word does William use to describe the captain's wife to Corker upon first meeting the latter?
6. For how long has Mrs. Stitch been stranded in her car when William arrives?
(a) Seventy-two minutes.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Half an hour.
(d) Four minutes.
7. What beverage does Mr. Salter assume William Boot enjoys?
8. At what time does William Boot, after a harrowing morning in the hotel, reach Copper House, to Mr. Salter's dismay?
(a) 12 p.m.
(b) 2 p.m.
(c) 11 a.m.
(d) 4 p.m.
9. How many children does the French colonial administrator have?
10. With how many other passengers does William fly on his way to Paris?
11. For what item is William asked at the very end of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) A hundred pounds.
(b) His passport.
(c) His typewriter.
(d) An autograph.
12. How does William's train companion relate making the acquaintance of his valet?
(a) They both once worked at <i>The Daily Brute</i>.
(b) They went to church together.
(c) They met at an English pub.
(d) They served together in the war.
13. From what famous individual has Uncle Bernard traced William Boot's descent?
(a) Uther Pendragon.
(b) Ethelred the Unready.
(c) King Alfred.
(d) Canute the Celt.
14. Where does John Boot wish to be sent, as revealed in his private conversation with Mrs. Stitch?
15. In what month do the events of the <i>Scoop</i> begin to unfold?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Roman author is Josephine reading on John Boot's arrival?
2. On what animal has William Boot composed one of his "more finished essays," as reported in Book 1, Chapter 2?
3. What famous reporter has <i>The Daily Beast</i> recently lost to a competitor?
4. How long does Mrs. Stitch take in the bath while John Boot waits?
5. What unfortunately happens to William's first passport?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)