|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What longtime secret ambition of William's is near to fulfillment towards the end of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) To leave England.
(b) To fly in a plane.
(c) To cover a big story.
(d) To visit a foreign country.
2. What food do William, the French administrator, and the administrator's children reject while dining on the <i>Francmacon</i>?
(a) Cold, white fish.
(b) Hot, pepper-covered fish.
(c) Old, greasy ham.
(d) Shriveled oysters.
3. What is the name of the woman who attends William in the equipment emporium?
(a) Miss Burkley.
(b) Miss Barton.
(c) Mrs. Salter.
(d) Miss Bloggs.
4. What are the last two items William adds to his kit from the equipment emporium?
(a) A coil of rope and a sheet of tin.
(b) Two cleft sticks.
(c) A set of surgical instruments and portable humidor.
(d) A Christmas hamper and Santa Claus costume.
5. How much does William's toothbrush purchased from the hotel cost?
(a) Four shillings.
(b) Five shillings.
(c) Eight pounds.
(d) One pound.
6. With what animal does Priscilla mischievously replace the animal on which William Boot had written for his recent Lush Places article?
(a) The badger.
(b) The willow-tailed fox.
(c) The wolf.
(d) The great crested grebe.
7. Which novel of John Boot's does Mrs. Stitch praise while abed?
(a) <i>Waste of Time<i/>.
(b) <i>Life of Rimbaud</i>.
(c) <i>The Great Glebe</i>.
(d) <i>The History of Time</i>.
8. What word describes William Boot's opinion of his visits to London?
9. What does the American girl, believing that he is going to Ishmaelia, give to John Boot as a good luck charm?
(a) A wet rabbit's foot.
(b) A locket with her picture.
(c) A bog-oak pig.
(d) A metal cross.
10. What animal does the Captain of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s wife keep as a pet?
(a) A frisky cat.
(b) A screaming monkey.
(c) A lethargic snake.
(d) A hairless dog.
11. To what does "unnatural" correspond in the telegram William receives at Aden?
(a) Universal News.
(d) Sea travel.
12. Of what school is the man William meets at the first Ishmaelite Legation a graduate?
(a) King's College London.
(b) The Baptist College of Antigua.
(c) Cambridge University.
(d) Yale University.
13. How does Mr. Salter always answer Lord Copper when the latter is incorrect?
(a) "Definitely, Lord Copper."
(b) "Up to a point."
(c) "Within reason, Lord Copper."
(d) "It is possible."
14. What does the Swiss waiter attempt to persuade William's companion in the train to purchase?
(a) Flank steak.
(b) A gold watch.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) Mineral water.
15. What beverage does Corker attempt to order from the steward on the boat?
(a) A glass of Riesling.
(b) A glass of Bourdeaux.
(c) A tablespoon of butter.
(d) A pint of bitter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bizarre claim does the pseudo-consul of the second Ishmaelite Legation make?
2. Where is William intending to depart the train?
3. Why does Mrs. Stitch prefer the sort of car she drives?
4. What items does Lord Copper especially impress upon William to take on his trip?
5. After conversing with William about their respective destinations, William's companion on the train begins to read what?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)