|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what street is William suddenly whisked off to in a taxi in order to cover a story regarding Mrs. Stitch?
(a) Walker Street.
(b) Sloane Street.
(c) Fleet Street.
(d) St. Bride's Avenue.
2. What does the American girl, believing that he is going to Ishmaelia, give to John Boot as a good luck charm?
(a) A bog-oak pig.
(b) A wet rabbit's foot.
(c) A metal cross.
(d) A locket with her picture.
3. When William first arrives at the Megalopolitan building, he finds it:
4. What is the name of the ship in which William must travel to Aden?
(a) <i>The Francmacon</i>.
(b) <i>The Narcissus</i>.
(c) <i> The Fremonque</i>.
(d) <i>Le Mequerrie</i>.
5. At what time does William Boot, after a harrowing morning in the hotel, reach Copper House, to Mr. Salter's dismay?
(a) 12 p.m.
(b) 2 p.m.
(c) 4 p.m.
(d) 11 a.m.
6. To what does "unnatural" correspond in the telegram William receives at Aden?
(b) Sea travel.
(c) Universal News.
7. What is William's initial destination on his way to Ishmaelia?
8. What famous reporter has <i>The Daily Beast</i> recently lost to a competitor?
9. What unfortunately happens to William's first passport?
(a) It is lost.
(b) It is dropped in a river.
(c) It is burned.
(d) It has a terrible photo.
10. How long does Mrs. Stitch take in the bath while John Boot waits?
(a) 25 minutes.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) 5 minutes.
(d) 10 minutes.
11. In what month do the events of the <i>Scoop</i> begin to unfold?
12. Who is the highest paid journalist in America, about whom Corker tells William a story?
(a) Jack Bannister.
(b) Wenlock Jakes.
(c) Jocelyn Hitchcock.
(d) Edward Robinson.
13. What was Mr. Salter's most recent previous position with <i>The Daily Beast</i>?
(a) Trade reporter.
(b) Editor of the Domestic News.
(c) Editor of the Women's Page.
(d) Assistant editor of the Financial Section.
14. How many times has Corker left England previous to the Ishmaelia expedition?
(d) Dozens of times.
15. After conversing with William about their respective destinations, William's companion on the train begins to read what?
(a) A love letter from his wife.
(b) A work of French philosophy.
(c) A copy of <i>The Daily Beast</i>.
(d) A work of German poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman who attends William in the equipment emporium?
2. What city is Mr. Salter attempting to locate in an atlas on occasion of his first meeting with William Boot?
3. How much does William's toothbrush purchased from the hotel cost?
4. What is the new word which Josephine learns and uses to describe many things to John Boot?
5. Where does John Boot wish to be sent, as revealed in his private conversation with Mrs. Stitch?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)