|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the proprietor of <i>The Daily Brute</i>?
(a) Sir Maubray.
(b) Lord Zinc.
(c) Mr. Salter.
(d) Lord Copper.
2. Of what school is the man William meets at the first Ishmaelite Legation a graduate?
(a) King's College London.
(b) The Baptist College of Antigua.
(c) Yale University.
(d) Cambridge University.
3. How much does William's toothbrush purchased from the hotel cost?
(a) Eight pounds.
(b) Five shillings.
(c) One pound.
(d) Four shillings.
4. What famous reporter has <i>The Daily Beast</i> recently lost to a competitor?
5. For what do the initials of Corker's agency "U.N." stand?
(a) United News.
(b) Universe News.
(c) Universal News.
(d) Unlimited Nationals.
6. In what month do the events of the <i>Scoop</i> begin to unfold?
7. What has Nannie Bloggs promised William if ever she wins the Irish Sweepstakes?
(a) To buy him a car.
(b) To send him to journalism school.
(c) To take him in a plane.
(d) To take him across seas.
8. What object does Corker purchase for himself while at Steamer Point?
(a) A tribal mask.
(b) A ceramic pig.
(c) An elephant of synthetic ivory.
(d) A tiny leather rhinocerous.
9. What sort of coin does William mistakenly attempt to give the steward on the train to London?
(a) A sovereign.
(b) A six-pence.
(c) A shilling.
(d) A pound.
10. Which activity is Mrs. Stitch NOT performing from her bed when John Boot visits?
(a) Signing cheques.
(b) Knitting a quilt.
(c) Answering the crossword.
(d) Deciding on costumes for a charity ballet.
11. What is the cost to transport William's luggage to his first destination?
(a) 130 pounds.
(b) 301 pounds.
(c) 107 pounds.
(d) 103 pounds.
12. What side of the Ishmaelite conflict does Lord Copper insist is in the right?
(a) The Patriots.
(b) The Traitors.
(c) The Rebels.
(d) The Independents.
13. How long does Mrs. Stitch take in the bath while John Boot waits?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) 25 minutes.
(d) 5 minutes.
14. William's heart is described as rising with the plane the first time he takes off. To what is this compared?
15. To what street is William suddenly whisked off to in a taxi in order to cover a story regarding Mrs. Stitch?
(a) Walker Street.
(b) St. Bride's Avenue.
(c) Fleet Street.
(d) Sloane Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase does Corker tell William to cable back to London regarding Aden's military preparedness?
2. What city is Mr. Salter attempting to locate in an atlas on occasion of his first meeting with William Boot?
3. Who is the highest paid journalist in America, about whom Corker tells William a story?
4. On what animal has William Boot composed one of his "more finished essays," as reported in Book 1, Chapter 2?
5. What is the name of the ship in which William must travel to Aden?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)