|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time does Mr. Salter awake William by telephone while the latter is at the hotel?
(a) 4 a.m.
(b) 1 p.m.
(c) 10 a.m.
(d) 8 a.m.
2. When William first arrives at the Megalopolitan building, he finds it:
3. At what time of the evening does Mrs. Stitch invariably go home, according to John Boot?
(a) 1 a.m.
(b) 11 p.m.
(c) 2 a.m.
4. Of what school is the man William meets at the first Ishmaelite Legation a graduate?
(a) Cambridge University.
(b) The Baptist College of Antigua.
(c) Yale University.
(d) King's College London.
5. With how many other passengers does William fly on his way to Paris?
6. What object does Corker purchase for himself while at Steamer Point?
(a) A ceramic pig.
(b) A tribal mask.
(c) An elephant of synthetic ivory.
(d) A tiny leather rhinocerous.
7. What is the name of the woman who attends William in the equipment emporium?
(a) Mrs. Salter.
(b) Miss Bloggs.
(c) Miss Barton.
(d) Miss Burkley.
8. What French philosopher is mentioned in Book 1, Chapter 4, section 6?
(a) Jean-Jacques Rousseau.
(b) Rene Descartes.
(c) Jacques Maritain.
9. How many lords are on staff at the Megalopolitan office?
10. After whose style has William Boot modeled his writing?
(a) Hillaire Belloc.
(b) The late rector of Boot Magna.
(c) Lord Copper.
(d) John Courteney Boot.
11. What bizarre claim does the pseudo-consul of the second Ishmaelite Legation make?
(a) That the Ishmaelites are an Aryan race.
(b) That the Ishmaelite government has been around since the time of Caesar.
(c) That he was brought up in Japan.
(d) That true Ishmaelites are immortal.
12. How does Mr. Salter always answer Lord Copper when the latter is incorrect?
(a) "Up to a point."
(b) "Within reason, Lord Copper."
(c) "It is possible."
(d) "Definitely, Lord Copper."
13. How many children does the French colonial administrator have?
14. Which member of the Boot family owns the motor car?
(a) Priscilla Boot.
(b) Aunt Anne.
(c) Uncle Theodore.
(d) Uncle Roderick.
15. Why does Mrs. Stitch prefer the sort of car she drives?
(a) It does not use much petrol.
(b) It designates her social status.
(c) It can carry a lot of luggage.
(d) It fits on the curb.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what animal has William Boot composed one of his "more finished essays," as reported in Book 1, Chapter 2?
2. How many members of the Boot family live in Boot Magna Hall?
3. What is the new word which Josephine learns and uses to describe many things to John Boot?
4. What does the American girl, believing that he is going to Ishmaelia, give to John Boot as a good luck charm?
5. What is the cost to transport William's luggage to his first destination?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)