|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Stitch prefer the sort of car she drives?
(a) It fits on the curb.
(b) It can carry a lot of luggage.
(c) It designates her social status.
(d) It does not use much petrol.
2. How does Mr. Salter always answer Lord Copper when the latter is incorrect?
(a) "Definitely, Lord Copper."
(b) "Up to a point."
(c) "It is possible."
(d) "Within reason, Lord Copper."
3. What word describes William Boot's opinion of his visits to London?
4. At what time does Mr. Salter awake William by telephone while the latter is at the hotel?
(a) 10 a.m.
(b) 4 a.m.
(c) 8 a.m.
(d) 1 p.m.
5. What famous reporter has <i>The Daily Beast</i> recently lost to a competitor?
6. Which member of the Boot household is the richest in ready cash?
(a) Nannie Price.
(b) The Widow Boot.
(c) The Elder Widow Boot.
(d) Nannie Bloggs.
7. What object of William's passes by the customs officials of the airport without scrutiny?
(a) His boots.
(b) The canoe.
(c) The cleft sticks.
(d) The typewriter.
8. To where does William walk after returning to his hotel, following the incident in Croydon?
(a) South Kensington.
(b) Westminster Abbey.
(c) The Megalopolitan Office.
(d) Hyde Park.
9. How many visas is William advised to get for his trip to Ishmaelia?
10. For what item is William asked at the very end of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) His passport.
(b) His typewriter.
(c) A hundred pounds.
(d) An autograph.
11. What makes Corker ill while on the ship to Ishmaelia?
(a) The humidity.
(b) The wine.
(c) The fish.
(d) A virus.
12. What is William's initial destination on his way to Ishmaelia?
13. How much of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s deck is given up to the captain's quarters?
(a) A third.
(b) Almost all.
(d) A quarter.
14. When William first arrives at the Megalopolitan building, he finds it:
15. Which member of the Boot family owns the house and estate?
(a) Theodore Boot.
(b) Bernard Boot.
(c) Roderick Boot.
(d) William Boot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does the Captain of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s wife keep as a pet?
2. For what paper does Mr. Pappenhacker work?
3. Who is the proprietor of <i>The Daily Brute</i>?
4. How much money is William given by <i>The Daily Beast</i> in traveler's checks?
5. How many copies of John Boot's novel sell in their first year?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)