|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is William perplexed by the telegram he receives from <i>The Daily Beast</i> while at Aden?
(a) He cannot understand the lingo.
(b) The telegram is addressed to John Boot.
(c) The telegram tells him to return to London.
(d) The text of the telegram is garbled.
2. What does the Swiss waiter attempt to persuade William's companion in the train to purchase?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) Flank steak.
(c) Mineral water.
(d) A gold watch.
3. To what street is William suddenly whisked off to in a taxi in order to cover a story regarding Mrs. Stitch?
(a) St. Bride's Avenue.
(b) Walker Street.
(c) Sloane Street.
(d) Fleet Street.
4. With whom does William meet at the first Ishmaelite Legation?
(a) The Consul-General.
(b) The Exiled Prime Minister.
(c) Doctor Cohen.
(d) The Foreign Ambassador.
5. Who is the highest paid journalist in America, about whom Corker tells William a story?
(a) Wenlock Jakes.
(b) Jack Bannister.
(c) Jocelyn Hitchcock.
(d) Edward Robinson.
6. What animal does the Captain of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s wife keep as a pet?
(a) A hairless dog.
(b) A frisky cat.
(c) A lethargic snake.
(d) A screaming monkey.
7. Which member of the Boot household is the richest in ready cash?
(a) The Elder Widow Boot.
(b) Nannie Bloggs.
(c) Nannie Price.
(d) The Widow Boot.
8. At what time does William Boot, after a harrowing morning in the hotel, reach Copper House, to Mr. Salter's dismay?
(a) 2 p.m.
(b) 4 p.m.
(c) 12 p.m.
(d) 11 a.m.
9. At what time does Mr. Salter awake William by telephone while the latter is at the hotel?
(a) 1 p.m.
(b) 4 a.m.
(c) 8 a.m.
(d) 10 a.m.
10. What makes Corker ill while on the ship to Ishmaelia?
(a) The fish.
(b) The wine.
(c) The humidity.
(d) A virus.
11. For what does William's companion on the train thank William?
(a) For conversing with him.
(b) For shooing off the Swiss waiter.
(c) For allowing him on his plane.
(d) For the use of his lighter.
12. How many children does the French colonial administrator have?
13. How does William's train companion relate making the acquaintance of his valet?
(a) They both once worked at <i>The Daily Brute</i>.
(b) They went to church together.
(c) They met at an English pub.
(d) They served together in the war.
14. What is the cost to transport William's luggage to his first destination?
(a) 107 pounds.
(b) 301 pounds.
(c) 103 pounds.
(d) 130 pounds.
15. What word does William use to describe the captain's wife to Corker upon first meeting the latter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What items does Lord Copper especially impress upon William to take on his trip?
2. How many copies of John Boot's novel sell in their first year?
3. For what item is William asked at the very end of Book 1, Chapter 3?
4. Who is the most valued friend of John Boot?
5. William's heart is described as rising with the plane the first time he takes off. To what is this compared?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)