|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Josephine Stitch always greet John Boot?
(a) By kicking him.
(b) By hugging him.
(c) By kissing him.
(d) By punching him.
2. What is the name of the ship in which William must travel to Aden?
(a) <i>The Francmacon</i>.
(b) <i>The Narcissus</i>.
(c) <i>Le Mequerrie</i>.
(d) <i> The Fremonque</i>.
3. What longtime secret ambition of William's is near to fulfillment towards the end of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) To cover a big story.
(b) To leave England.
(c) To visit a foreign country.
(d) To fly in a plane.
4. To where does William walk after returning to his hotel, following the incident in Croydon?
(a) Hyde Park.
(b) South Kensington.
(c) Westminster Abbey.
(d) The Megalopolitan Office.
5. How much of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s deck is given up to the captain's quarters?
(a) A quarter.
(b) A third.
(c) Almost all.
6. With how many other passengers does William fly on his way to Paris?
7. What are the last two items William adds to his kit from the equipment emporium?
(a) Two cleft sticks.
(b) A set of surgical instruments and portable humidor.
(c) A Christmas hamper and Santa Claus costume.
(d) A coil of rope and a sheet of tin.
8. What word describes William Boot's opinion of his visits to London?
9. When William first arrives at the Megalopolitan building, he finds it:
10. What does the American girl, believing that he is going to Ishmaelia, give to John Boot as a good luck charm?
(a) A bog-oak pig.
(b) A locket with her picture.
(c) A metal cross.
(d) A wet rabbit's foot.
11. What beverage does Corker attempt to order from the steward on the boat?
(a) A pint of bitter.
(b) A tablespoon of butter.
(c) A glass of Bourdeaux.
(d) A glass of Riesling.
12. How many servants attend to the Boot family?
13. What is William's initial destination on his way to Ishmaelia?
14. Why does Mrs. Stitch prefer the sort of car she drives?
(a) It fits on the curb.
(b) It can carry a lot of luggage.
(c) It does not use much petrol.
(d) It designates her social status.
15. How many lords are on staff at the Megalopolitan office?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does "unnatural" correspond in the telegram William receives at Aden?
2. For how long has Mrs. Stitch been stranded in her car when William arrives?
3. What bizarre claim does the pseudo-consul of the second Ishmaelite Legation make?
4. What city is Mr. Salter attempting to locate in an atlas on occasion of his first meeting with William Boot?
5. On what animal has William Boot composed one of his "more finished essays," as reported in Book 1, Chapter 2?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)