|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What French philosopher is mentioned in Book 1, Chapter 4, section 6?
(b) Rene Descartes.
(c) Jean-Jacques Rousseau.
(d) Jacques Maritain.
2. What longtime secret ambition of William's is near to fulfillment towards the end of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) To visit a foreign country.
(b) To leave England.
(c) To fly in a plane.
(d) To cover a big story.
3. What makes Corker ill while on the ship to Ishmaelia?
(a) The humidity.
(b) The fish.
(c) A virus.
(d) The wine.
4. William's heart is described as rising with the plane the first time he takes off. To what is this compared?
5. For what do the initials of Corker's agency "U.N." stand?
(a) Universe News.
(b) Universal News.
(c) United News.
(d) Unlimited Nationals.
6. What food do William, the French administrator, and the administrator's children reject while dining on the <i>Francmacon</i>?
(a) Shriveled oysters.
(b) Cold, white fish.
(c) Hot, pepper-covered fish.
(d) Old, greasy ham.
7. How many visas is William advised to get for his trip to Ishmaelia?
8. Where is William intending to depart the train?
(d) The Cote d'Azur.
9. What does the American girl, believing that he is going to Ishmaelia, give to John Boot as a good luck charm?
(a) A metal cross.
(b) A locket with her picture.
(c) A bog-oak pig.
(d) A wet rabbit's foot.
10. Who is the most valued friend of John Boot?
(a) Mrs. Stitch.
(b) Mr. Stitch.
(c) Lady Metroland.
(d) Lord Copper.
11. What is the title of William Boot's regular column in <i>The Daily Beast</i>?
(a) <i>The Questing Vole.</i>
(b) <i>Plashy Fens.</i>
(c) <i>Lush Places.</i>
(d) <i>London Gentleman.</i>
12. How long does Mrs. Stitch take in the bath while John Boot waits?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) 5 minutes.
(c) 25 minutes.
(d) 10 minutes.
13. What unfortunately happens to William's first passport?
(a) It has a terrible photo.
(b) It is dropped in a river.
(c) It is lost.
(d) It is burned.
14. What has Nannie Bloggs promised William if ever she wins the Irish Sweepstakes?
(a) To take him across seas.
(b) To take him in a plane.
(c) To buy him a car.
(d) To send him to journalism school.
15. For what paper does Mr. Pappenhacker work?
(a) <i>The Messageries Maritimes</i>.
(b) <i>The Daily Brute</i>.
(c) <i>The Twopence</i>.
(d) <i>The Daily Beast</i>.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship in which William must travel to Aden?
2. What sort of coin does William mistakenly attempt to give the steward on the train to London?
3. What position does John Boot initially seek from Mr. Stitch as a means of foreign employ?
4. At what time does William Boot, after a harrowing morning in the hotel, reach Copper House, to Mr. Salter's dismay?
5. What phrase does Corker tell William to cable back to London regarding Aden's military preparedness?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)