|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the companion's valet on the train?
2. How many copies of John Boot's novel sell in their first year?
3. How many children does the French colonial administrator have?
4. What object does Corker purchase for himself while at Steamer Point?
(a) A tiny leather rhinocerous.
(b) A ceramic pig.
(c) A tribal mask.
(d) An elephant of synthetic ivory.
5. Of what school is the man William meets at the first Ishmaelite Legation a graduate?
(a) Cambridge University.
(b) Yale University.
(c) The Baptist College of Antigua.
(d) King's College London.
6. William's heart is described as rising with the plane the first time he takes off. To what is this compared?
7. Which activity is Mrs. Stitch NOT performing from her bed when John Boot visits?
(a) Knitting a quilt.
(b) Signing cheques.
(c) Answering the crossword.
(d) Deciding on costumes for a charity ballet.
8. Who is the most valued friend of John Boot?
(a) Mr. Stitch.
(b) Mrs. Stitch.
(c) Lord Copper.
(d) Lady Metroland.
9. How much of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s deck is given up to the captain's quarters?
(a) A quarter.
(b) Almost all.
(c) A third.
10. What sort of car does Mrs. Stitch drive?
(a) A large white car.
(b) A mid-size blue car.
(c) A large black car.
(d) A tiny black car.
11. What does the Swiss waiter attempt to persuade William's companion in the train to purchase?
(a) Mineral water.
(b) Flank steak.
(c) A gold watch.
(d) A newspaper.
12. Where is William intending to depart the train?
(a) The Cote d'Azur.
13. Which member of the Boot family owns the motor car?
(a) Priscilla Boot.
(b) Aunt Anne.
(c) Uncle Theodore.
(d) Uncle Roderick.
14. What has Nannie Bloggs promised William if ever she wins the Irish Sweepstakes?
(a) To send him to journalism school.
(b) To buy him a car.
(c) To take him in a plane.
(d) To take him across seas.
15. What word does William use to describe the captain's wife to Corker upon first meeting the latter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cost to transport William's luggage to his first destination?
2. From where is William supposed to leave England?
3. At what time does Mr. Salter awake William by telephone while the latter is at the hotel?
4. What word describes William Boot's opinion of his visits to London?
5. What is William's initial destination on his way to Ishmaelia?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)