|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is William perplexed by the telegram he receives from <i>The Daily Beast</i> while at Aden?
(a) The text of the telegram is garbled.
(b) The telegram is addressed to John Boot.
(c) He cannot understand the lingo.
(d) The telegram tells him to return to London.
2. Who is the proprietor of <i>The Daily Brute</i>?
(a) Lord Zinc.
(b) Mr. Salter.
(c) Lord Copper.
(d) Sir Maubray.
3. How many servants attend to the Boot family?
4. What does the Swiss waiter attempt to persuade William's companion in the train to purchase?
(a) A gold watch.
(b) Flank steak.
(c) Mineral water.
(d) A newspaper.
5. What object does Corker purchase for himself while at Steamer Point?
(a) A ceramic pig.
(b) A tribal mask.
(c) An elephant of synthetic ivory.
(d) A tiny leather rhinocerous.
6. What is the name of the woman who attends William in the equipment emporium?
(a) Miss Bloggs.
(b) Miss Burkley.
(c) Miss Barton.
(d) Mrs. Salter.
7. What is the name of the ship in which William must travel to Aden?
(a) <i>Le Mequerrie</i>.
(b) <i> The Fremonque</i>.
(c) <i>The Francmacon</i>.
(d) <i>The Narcissus</i>.
8. What position does John Boot initially seek from Mr. Stitch as a means of foreign employ?
(a) A position of espionage.
(b) A diplomatic ambassador.
(c) A trade representative.
(d) A wartime correspondent.
9. For what paper does Mr. Pappenhacker work?
(a) <i>The Twopence</i>.
(b) <i>The Messageries Maritimes</i>.
(c) <i>The Daily Brute</i>.
(d) <i>The Daily Beast</i>.
10. How much of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s deck is given up to the captain's quarters?
(a) A quarter.
(c) Almost all.
(d) A third.
11. What word does William use to describe the captain's wife to Corker upon first meeting the latter?
12. What was Mr. Salter's most recent previous position with <i>The Daily Beast</i>?
(a) Editor of the Domestic News.
(b) Editor of the Women's Page.
(c) Trade reporter.
(d) Assistant editor of the Financial Section.
13. With what sort of art is Corker infatuated?
(a) African Art.
(b) American Art.
(c) Oriental Art.
(d) Occidental Art.
14. What is the new word which Josephine learns and uses to describe many things to John Boot?
15. To where does William walk after returning to his hotel, following the incident in Croydon?
(a) The Megalopolitan Office.
(b) Westminster Abbey.
(c) Hyde Park.
(d) South Kensington.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does "unnatural" correspond in the telegram William receives at Aden?
2. From where is William supposed to leave England?
3. In what month do the events of the <i>Scoop</i> begin to unfold?
4. What word describes William Boot's opinion of his visits to London?
5. What is the name of the companion's valet on the train?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)