|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food do William, the French administrator, and the administrator's children reject while dining on the <i>Francmacon</i>?
(a) Old, greasy ham.
(b) Hot, pepper-covered fish.
(c) Shriveled oysters.
(d) Cold, white fish.
2. What longtime secret ambition of William's is near to fulfillment towards the end of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) To cover a big story.
(b) To leave England.
(c) To visit a foreign country.
(d) To fly in a plane.
3. How does Mr. Salter always answer Lord Copper when the latter is incorrect?
(a) "Definitely, Lord Copper."
(b) "Within reason, Lord Copper."
(c) "Up to a point."
(d) "It is possible."
4. On what animal has William Boot composed one of his "more finished essays," as reported in Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) The willow-tailed fox.
(b) The great crested grebe.
(c) The wolf.
(d) The badger.
5. What object does Corker purchase for himself while at Steamer Point?
(a) An elephant of synthetic ivory.
(b) A ceramic pig.
(c) A tiny leather rhinocerous.
(d) A tribal mask.
6. What is the name of the ship in which William must travel to Aden?
(a) <i>The Francmacon</i>.
(b) <i> The Fremonque</i>.
(c) <i>Le Mequerrie</i>.
(d) <i>The Narcissus</i>.
7. To what country does <i>The Daily Beast</i> want William Boot to travel?
8. Who is the proprietor of <i>The Daily Brute</i>?
(a) Lord Zinc.
(b) Mr. Salter.
(c) Sir Maubray.
(d) Lord Copper.
9. What is the new word which Josephine learns and uses to describe many things to John Boot?
10. To what street is William suddenly whisked off to in a taxi in order to cover a story regarding Mrs. Stitch?
(a) St. Bride's Avenue.
(b) Fleet Street.
(c) Sloane Street.
(d) Walker Street.
11. For what do the initials of Corker's agency "U.N." stand?
(a) United News.
(b) Universal News.
(c) Unlimited Nationals.
(d) Universe News.
12. Which member of the Boot household is the richest in ready cash?
(a) The Widow Boot.
(b) The Elder Widow Boot.
(c) Nannie Bloggs.
(d) Nannie Price.
13. Which novel of John Boot's does Mrs. Stitch praise while abed?
(a) <i>The History of Time</i>.
(b) <i>Life of Rimbaud</i>.
(c) <i>Waste of Time<i/>.
(d) <i>The Great Glebe</i>.
14. Into what airport does William fly after leaving England?
(a) Le Bourget.
(b) Aeroports de Paris.
(c) Aeroport de Marseilles.
(d) Brussels Airport.
15. What word does William use to describe the captain's wife to Corker upon first meeting the latter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What bizarre claim does the pseudo-consul of the second Ishmaelite Legation make?
2. At what time of the evening does Mrs. Stitch invariably go home, according to John Boot?
3. Which Roman author is Josephine reading on John Boot's arrival?
4. For what does William's companion on the train thank William?
5. Who is the highest paid journalist in America, about whom Corker tells William a story?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)