|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does William's toothbrush purchased from the hotel cost?
(a) One pound.
(b) Five shillings.
(c) Eight pounds.
(d) Four shillings.
2. How does Josephine Stitch always greet John Boot?
(a) By kissing him.
(b) By hugging him.
(c) By punching him.
(d) By kicking him.
3. How does William's train companion relate making the acquaintance of his valet?
(a) They went to church together.
(b) They served together in the war.
(c) They both once worked at <i>The Daily Brute</i>.
(d) They met at an English pub.
4. What time of day does John Boot visit the Stitch residence?
(a) 11 a.m.
(b) 3 p.m.
(c) 12 p.m.
(d) 7 a.m.
5. To what does "unnatural" correspond in the telegram William receives at Aden?
(a) Sea travel.
(c) Universal News.
6. Who is the proprietor of <i>The Daily Brute</i>?
(a) Sir Maubray.
(b) Lord Copper.
(c) Mr. Salter.
(d) Lord Zinc.
7. What food do William, the French administrator, and the administrator's children reject while dining on the <i>Francmacon</i>?
(a) Shriveled oysters.
(b) Hot, pepper-covered fish.
(c) Cold, white fish.
(d) Old, greasy ham.
8. What is the cost to transport William's luggage to his first destination?
(a) 107 pounds.
(b) 130 pounds.
(c) 103 pounds.
(d) 301 pounds.
9. Why does John Boot want to get away from London?
(a) He wants adventure.
(b) He wants to get away from an American girl.
(c) It is too crowded.
(d) He wants an opportunity to be famous.
10. Why is William perplexed by the telegram he receives from <i>The Daily Beast</i> while at Aden?
(a) The text of the telegram is garbled.
(b) He cannot understand the lingo.
(c) The telegram tells him to return to London.
(d) The telegram is addressed to John Boot.
11. What object of William's passes by the customs officials of the airport without scrutiny?
(a) The cleft sticks.
(b) The typewriter.
(c) The canoe.
(d) His boots.
12. What does the American girl, believing that he is going to Ishmaelia, give to John Boot as a good luck charm?
(a) A bog-oak pig.
(b) A locket with her picture.
(c) A wet rabbit's foot.
(d) A metal cross.
13. Why does Mrs. Stitch prefer the sort of car she drives?
(a) It does not use much petrol.
(b) It can carry a lot of luggage.
(c) It fits on the curb.
(d) It designates her social status.
14. With whom does William meet at the first Ishmaelite Legation?
(a) The Consul-General.
(b) The Foreign Ambassador.
(c) The Exiled Prime Minister.
(d) Doctor Cohen.
15. From what famous individual has Uncle Bernard traced William Boot's descent?
(a) Canute the Celt.
(b) Ethelred the Unready.
(c) King Alfred.
(d) Uther Pendragon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Corker ill while on the ship to Ishmaelia?
2. Which Roman author is Josephine reading on John Boot's arrival?
3. With what sort of art is Corker infatuated?
4. When William first arrives at the Megalopolitan building, he finds it:
5. From where is William supposed to leave England?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)