|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does the Captain of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s wife keep as a pet?
(a) A screaming monkey.
(b) A lethargic snake.
(c) A hairless dog.
(d) A frisky cat.
2. What side of the Ishmaelite conflict does Lord Copper insist is in the right?
(a) The Patriots.
(b) The Rebels.
(c) The Independents.
(d) The Traitors.
3. Which Roman author is Josephine reading on John Boot's arrival?
(c) Marcus Aurelius.
4. How much of the <i>Francmacon</i>'s deck is given up to the captain's quarters?
(a) A quarter.
(b) A third.
(d) Almost all.
5. Which novel of John Boot's does Mrs. Stitch praise while abed?
(a) <i>The History of Time</i>.
(b) <i>Life of Rimbaud</i>.
(c) <i>Waste of Time<i/>.
(d) <i>The Great Glebe</i>.
6. What word describes William Boot's opinion of his visits to London?
7. What has Nannie Bloggs promised William if ever she wins the Irish Sweepstakes?
(a) To buy him a car.
(b) To take him across seas.
(c) To send him to journalism school.
(d) To take him in a plane.
8. From what famous individual has Uncle Bernard traced William Boot's descent?
(a) Ethelred the Unready.
(b) King Alfred.
(c) Uther Pendragon.
(d) Canute the Celt.
9. For how long has Mrs. Stitch been stranded in her car when William arrives?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Seventy-two minutes.
(c) Four minutes.
(d) Half an hour.
10. To what street is William suddenly whisked off to in a taxi in order to cover a story regarding Mrs. Stitch?
(a) Sloane Street.
(b) Walker Street.
(c) St. Bride's Avenue.
(d) Fleet Street.
11. Why does John Boot want to get away from London?
(a) He wants to get away from an American girl.
(b) He wants adventure.
(c) He wants an opportunity to be famous.
(d) It is too crowded.
12. How many children does the French colonial administrator have?
13. What items does Lord Copper especially impress upon William to take on his trip?
(a) Cleft sticks.
(b) Hiking boots.
(c) Water-proof pens.
(d) Copies of <i>The Daily Beast</i>.
14. How many lords are on staff at the Megalopolitan office?
15. Who is the highest paid journalist in America, about whom Corker tells William a story?
(a) Edward Robinson.
(b) Jack Bannister.
(c) Wenlock Jakes.
(d) Jocelyn Hitchcock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of William Boot's regular column in <i>The Daily Beast</i>?
2. What sort of coin does William mistakenly attempt to give the steward on the train to London?
3. With whom does William meet at the first Ishmaelite Legation?
4. What beverage does Mr. Salter assume William Boot enjoys?
5. At what time of the evening does Mrs. Stitch invariably go home, according to John Boot?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)