|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Salter always answer Lord Copper when the latter is incorrect?
(a) "Definitely, Lord Copper."
(b) "It is possible."
(c) "Within reason, Lord Copper."
(d) "Up to a point."
2. What beverage does Mr. Salter assume William Boot enjoys?
3. After conversing with William about their respective destinations, William's companion on the train begins to read what?
(a) A love letter from his wife.
(b) A work of German poetry.
(c) A work of French philosophy.
(d) A copy of <i>The Daily Beast</i>.
4. What is the name of the companion's valet on the train?
5. What time of day does John Boot visit the Stitch residence?
(a) 3 p.m.
(b) 11 a.m.
(c) 12 p.m.
(d) 7 a.m.
6. For what paper does Mr. Pappenhacker work?
(a) <i>The Messageries Maritimes</i>.
(b) <i>The Daily Brute</i>.
(c) <i>The Daily Beast</i>.
(d) <i>The Twopence</i>.
7. Why does John Boot want to get away from London?
(a) It is too crowded.
(b) He wants an opportunity to be famous.
(c) He wants to get away from an American girl.
(d) He wants adventure.
8. What word describes William Boot's opinion of his visits to London?
9. How many visas is William advised to get for his trip to Ishmaelia?
10. What longtime secret ambition of William's is near to fulfillment towards the end of Book 1, Chapter 3?
(a) To fly in a plane.
(b) To visit a foreign country.
(c) To cover a big story.
(d) To leave England.
11. What side of the Ishmaelite conflict does Lord Copper insist is in the right?
(a) The Rebels.
(b) The Traitors.
(c) The Patriots.
(d) The Independents.
12. How does William's train companion relate making the acquaintance of his valet?
(a) They served together in the war.
(b) They went to church together.
(c) They met at an English pub.
(d) They both once worked at <i>The Daily Brute</i>.
13. Which Roman author is Josephine reading on John Boot's arrival?
(d) Marcus Aurelius.
14. Which activity is Mrs. Stitch NOT performing from her bed when John Boot visits?
(a) Knitting a quilt.
(b) Answering the crossword.
(c) Signing cheques.
(d) Deciding on costumes for a charity ballet.
15. How many children does the French colonial administrator have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of the Boot family owns the house and estate?
2. Why is William perplexed by the telegram he receives from <i>The Daily Beast</i> while at Aden?
3. What does the American girl, believing that he is going to Ishmaelia, give to John Boot as a good luck charm?
4. How much does William's toothbrush purchased from the hotel cost?
5. How much money is William given by <i>The Daily Beast</i> in traveler's checks?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)