|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the revolution that was a cultural event associated with Galileo Galilei, Johannes Kepler, Rene Descartes, and Isaac Newton?
2. In Chapter 1, who claimed that his "principle of least action" proved the existence of God?
3. In 1688, Fontenelle wrote a treatise on the nature of the eclogue or ________.
4. Who argued in the "Preliminary discourse" to the "Encyclopedie" that mathematics was basic to all of physics, according to the narrator in Chapter 3?
5. What term did Toland invent for the belief that God and nature were one and the same, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the two concepts that were studied in rational mechanics during the Enlightenment.
2. What was the meaning of experimental physics at the end of the Enlightenment? Why is important that the meaning of experimental physics had changed?
3. Briefly discuss the origin of subtle fluid as discuss in Chapter 3 of "Science and the Enlightenment."
4. Explain how mathematics and mechanics advanced through the study of curves.
5. Discuss the ideology of the Enlightenment on natural philosophers. Who was France's main natural philosopher? Explain.
6. Discuss how nature and reason tied into the Enlightenment.
7. Discuss Christian Wolff's book "Generally useful researches for attaining to a more exact knowledge of nature and the arts."
8. What were the two necessary ingredients for the improvement of astronomical tables? Explain.
9. Discuss Charles Francois de Cisternai Dufay and his impact in electrical science.
10. Briefly explain the major philosopher of method in France in the eighteenth century.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how subtle fluids effect electricity as discussed in Chapter 3 of "Science and the Enlightenment."
Essay Topic 2
Describe in great detail Montesquieu's Spirit of the Laws. Do you support Montesquieu's proposition? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the motion along a curve theory and its relevance to the Enlightenment.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)